What guitar hardware interface for Ubuntu?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Batman
Established Member

What guitar hardware interface for Ubuntu?

Post by Batman »

I have the choice of the following...
  1. Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd Generation
  2. Line6 POD STUDIO UX 1
  3. ROLAND Rubix22
  4. STEINBERG UR22mkII
Anyone have any issues with the Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd Generation on Ubuntu 17? I'd like Qjack to recognize it.

Also what software for guitar do you use? I use audacity. I have an amp and cab or can go direct from amp to a USB interface. Any recommended recording software for Ubuntu?
wjl
Established Member

Re: What guitar hardware interface for Ubuntu?

Post by wjl »

Cannot say much about the Solo, but my Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen is class compliant, and so plug & play under Linux. Would love to hear about the same experiences with the Steinberg interface, as it is quite a bit cheaper (I'm interested in that as a possible present for my brother).

For electric guitar, I'd try guitarix (have only a classical guitar right now, so I haven't played around with it yet).

Hope that helps,
Wolfgang
more about me on my blog
Batman
Established Member

Post by Batman »

Your unit is nice but a bit outside of what I want to pay. It's sort of twice the price of the other units.

Still I need something compatible.
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

Batman wrote:I need something compatible.
That's what I meant - if my 6i6 is linux compatible, then the smaller ones most certainly are. I've seen lots of audio on linux Youtube videos where the guys were using Focusrite interfaces of all kinds. If the brochure says that you don't need a driver for a Mac, then you can assume it will be class compliant (and so, run under Linux without any driver as well).

If you don't want to try your luck, take an Ubuntu notebook to the next music store, and plug one of them in. Should be recognized immediately.
more about me on my blog
Batman
Established Member

Post by Batman »

wjl wrote:
Batman wrote:I need something compatible.
That's what I meant - if my 6i6 is linux compatible, then the smaller ones most certainly are. I've seen lots of audio on linux Youtube videos where the guys were using Focusrite interfaces of all kinds. If the brochure says that you don't need a driver for a Mac, then you can assume it will be class compliant (and so, run under Linux without any driver as well).

If you don't want to try your luck, take an Ubuntu notebook to the next music store, and plug one of them in. Should be recognized immediately.

I am thinking it is compatible, but then again, I take nothing for granted. Still the bonus I have it seems is that its relatively new and used a lot and seems to have quite a bit of support like the Line6 one.

Thanks again.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

The Line6 POD UX1 needs drivers so it's probably not class compliant.

The Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd gen seems to be class compliant so it should work in theory:
This is untested and not officially supported, though the Scarlett range is class compliant and may work on this OS
Don't get misled by all the latency mumbo-jumbo on their site, any decent USB audio interface can do real-time audio with low latencies.

The Roland Rubix22 is class compliant too, so should work also in theory:
Low latency, class compliant drivers
The Steinberg UR22mkII has "iOS connectivity" which means it is class compliant and should work with Linux.

So only the Line6 is not an option. Personally I've had good experiences with Roland and Focusrite but I've heard and read some pretty positive experiences with the Steinberg products and Linux too. I guess it's a matter of comparing features, price and usability. Or if you have the possibility to test them you could add sound quality to that list.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

The TonePort UX1 is a different product. Also the Line6 drivers are already included with the linux-image-extra package:

Code: Select all

$ modinfo snd-usb-line6
filename:       /lib/modules/4.4.0-78-generic/kernel/sound/usb/line6/snd-usb-line6.ko
license:        GPL
description:    Line 6 USB Driver
author:         Markus Grabner <grabner@icg.tugraz.at>
srcversion:     0DF2F40EB46629915094515
depends:        snd-pcm,snd-rawmidi,snd
intree:         Y
vermagic:       4.4.0-78-generic SMP mod_unload modversions
So no need to compile it yourself. I highly doubt though if this driver or one of the other Line6 related drivers work with the POD Studio UX1.
Batman
Established Member

Post by Batman »

I am leaning towards the Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd Generation. So if there are no objections soon I will probably take the plunge and report back.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

AutoStatic wrote:The TonePort UX1 is a different product. Also the Line6 drivers are already included with the linux-image-extra package:

Code: Select all

$ modinfo snd-usb-line6
filename:       /lib/modules/4.4.0-78-generic/kernel/sound/usb/line6/snd-usb-line6.ko
license:        GPL
description:    Line 6 USB Driver
author:         Markus Grabner <grabner@icg.tugraz.at>
srcversion:     0DF2F40EB46629915094515
depends:        snd-pcm,snd-rawmidi,snd
intree:         Y
vermagic:       4.4.0-78-generic SMP mod_unload modversions
So no need to compile it yourself. I highly doubt though if this driver or one of the other Line6 related drivers work with the POD Studio UX1.
I have no idea if they work or not.

I have got a Toneport UX1 that I'll try out with Linux one day, so thanks for mentioning the image extra drivers.
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

Audient ID4 is perfect