Shuriken Beat Slicer 0.5

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

motosega
Established Member

Re: Shuriken Beat Slicer 0.5

Post by motosega »

Hi Rockhopper,

Yep, i'm still here!

Mono mode works! I'm still impressed that you can add all these features without an mpc on your desk, i have trouble writing hello world programs without forgetting a semicolon somewhere.

Setting mono mode is fantastic, but having the option to add all the samples to a mute group would be great too

Mono mode means that the sample won't play over itself, but samples set to the same mute group won't play over each other.

I normaly just set the mute group to 1, unless i'm doing something odd with more mute groups.

my mpc500 has 32 mute groups, i'm not sure about the mpc1000\2500.

I expect soundfonts have a similar feature, since its needed for hi hats. I don't know how many groups you can have in soundfont though.

This makes shuriken much faster to use! Thanks!
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

Hi motosega! I've added mono/poly radio buttons and a mute group drop down in the export dialog.
motosega
Established Member

Post by motosega »

It works! Thanks!

exporting with mono and mute group set to 1 works exacly as expected.

I think thats pretty much everyhing on my wish list for shuriken. fantastic!
dsu

Post by dsu »

I'm not sure if it's better to post tech questions here or at the GitHub page, but maybe someone here has some guidance.

I can't import any samples into Shuriken. Every time I try to import a sound file (mp3 and wav), I get a window that says "Couldn't open file for reading! File contains data in unknown format". The audio files play fine in vlc. In the terminal I get some more detailed errors:

Code: Select all

AUBIO ERROR: source_sndfile: Failed opening /[DIRECTORY]/example.mp3: File contains data in an unknown format.
AUBIO ERROR: source_wavread: could not find RIFF header in /[DIRECTORY]/example.mp3
AUBIO ERROR: source: failed creating aubio source with /[DIRECTORY]/example.mp3 at samplerate 0 with hop_size 4096
It looks like something is going wrong with aubio and/or libsndfile.

I'm running an up-to-date Arch installation and have Shuriken 0.5.1 from the Aur repository. I have both aubio and libsndfile installed, but I'm not sure how to test either independent of Shuriken.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions as to how to better diagnose the problem?

Thanks,
Dave
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

dsu wrote:I can't import any samples into Shuriken. Every time I try to import a sound file (mp3 and wav), I get a window that says "Couldn't open file for reading! File contains data in unknown format".
Hi Dave,

Shuriken currently uses libsndfile and sndlib to load audio files so unfortunately mp3 is not supported. However, this may change in the future as I'd like to make use of libav which can load just about anything.

I don't understand why you can't load wav files - no one else has mentioned this issue. Which AUR package are you using?

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/shuriken
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/shuriken-git/
dsu

Post by dsu »

Oops. My bad: I thought I had tried to import a wav file, but I miss-remembered. Wav files import perfectly. Looking forward to starting to slice! Thank you.

Dave
3xOverhead
Established Member

Post by 3xOverhead »

HI, first massive thanks for your work! I like the easyness for slices rearranging.
I'm converting to Linux and things are a bit hard sometimes, I'm using AVlinux 2016 and the problem i have is midi export does not work, be it type 0 or 1.

I tried exporting at the same time wav and midi, export midi in a separate folder, export midi solely too, but no chance yet.
I thought it may be a "show hidden files" issue, but no.

I organise my folders that way: Music/Shuriken/Breaks/break_1.
_________________________________________/Akai/...
_________________________________________/Midi/...

And the thing is, i don't know what i did but after a midi export i finded a copy of this tree in Music/ containing a midi file in the end, I tried to reproduce it by clicking "create" in the export menu but it didn't work either.

Could you help please ? I'm composing a 4 tracks DNB project -drumfunk style- and to dump those damn midi files in my MV8000 would be more than welcomed! :)

Thanks in advance
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

Hi 3xOverhead, glad to hear you're finding Shuriken useful!

When exporting WAV and MIDI together, if your output directory is set to /home/username and the filename is set to MyLoop then you should get:

/home/username/MyLoop.mid
+
/home/username/MyLoop/MyLoop01.wav
/home/username/MyLoop/MyLoop02.wav
/home/username/MyLoop/MyLoop03.wav
etc..

Hope that helps and all the best with the DNB project :)
3xOverhead
Established Member

Post by 3xOverhead »

Just tried again but sadly it does not export any midifile, just audio.
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

That's very strange, no one has reported such an issue with MIDI export before and many people are using it.

Does this only happen with certain Shuriken projects or all projects? I've just tried exporting MIDI from Shuriken in AVLinux 2017 and it works fine. Could you try running AVL 2017 from a live USB stick and see if you still get the same problem?
3xOverhead
Established Member

Post by 3xOverhead »

No one... that's crazy. Do you think my Avlinux install could be broke or badly done or something ?
I tried again, old or new projects, same, tried after reboot etc, same behaviour.

Do an hardware issue may cause this ?
My PC cannot handle audio production at all in Ardour being a celeron dual core E2180 2.00GHz with 2GB ram but that's what i have.
Yet it really helps me for sample editing. This PC was given to me, it comes with ASrock 1600twins 1394 motherboard and it can take Q9650 processor max i think. It can even take QX9xxx but they are still expensive. I'm looking at upgrading it, or find a cheap dual Xeon solution.

I guess i can buy a cheap USB stick to test it, i assume the key cannot be reverted for normal use once installed as a boot device, right ?
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

I thinks it's highly unlikely to be a hardware issue though I really have no idea what could be causing it. As for the USB stick, you can simply reformat it if you want to use it as a regular storage device again.