Digits plugin now GPL'd

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

chaocrator
Established Member

Re: Digits plugin now GPL'd

Post by chaocrator »

does anybody know how to specify path to VST SDK files?

update: so, i figured out that makefile from http://www.extentofthejam.com/Digits.make expects to find VST SDK stuff in Digits_OpenSource_2_1/sdks/vstsdk2.4, and managed to build it (on ubuntu 16.04, if anyone interested).

since i control all my synths via hardware MIDI controller, lack of GUI is not a big deal for me 8)
going to make a mapping template today.

lack of proper preset banks is worse, but that's workaroundable too.
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

Greetings,
chaocrator wrote:...

since i control all my synths via hardware MIDI controller, lack of GUI is not a big deal for me 8)
going to make a mapping template today.

lack of proper preset banks is worse, but that's workaroundable too.
I've communicated with the developer about the presets problem (I think there should be an autoloaded bank). Incidentally, he was unaware that the VSTGUI software can be compiled for Linux now, there's a possibility that he might port the original GUI.

Meanwhile I can use Bitwig's presets browser to locate and load FXP files. I haven't tested it anywhere else yet.

Best,

dp
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

good news.

loading preset files also works in MusE and (as someone else pointed above) in qtractor.
this appears to be not working in ardour, and definitely not working in carla. so, at the moment i will set controls one-by-one as a workaround.
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

falkTX wrote:
davephillips wrote:he was unaware that the VSTGUI software can be compiled for Linux now, there's a possibility that he might port the original GUI.
Note that it only works for VST3, not normal "VST" plugins (99.9% in vst2 format).
VST3 and VST2 are 2 completely different formats.
Indeed. Btw, VST3 is supported in Bitwig 2.x for Linux (untested here, but I have u-he's VST3 version of Diva, I'll give it a whirl asap).
Also VSTGUI on VST3 uses gtk3, which means it will be incompatible with gtk2 based hosts like Ardour.
Also means you can't mix it together in the same session with gtk2 plugins, like Calf, guitarix, Invada and some others.
How long will those applications remain on GTK2 ? It's a serious question, I have no notion of what's required to upgrade development from GTK2 to GTK3.

Best,

dp
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

played with it yesterday.
pros: very cool sounding synth.
cons: now i have to learn how phase distortion synthesis works. but i did not planned that! :mrgreen:
LouisG

Post by LouisG »

Hi everyone, Digits author here. Yup, I should put it up on GitHub or SourceForge soon so people can contribute more easily. Do people still generally prefer GitHub?
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

LouisG wrote:Hi everyone, Digits author here. Yup, I should put it up on GitHub or SourceForge soon so people can contribute more easily. Do people still generally prefer GitHub?
Yep. Almost every update in my $HOME/src directory is a git update.

Best,

dp
LouisG

Post by LouisG »

davephillips wrote:
LouisG wrote:Hi everyone, Digits author here. Yup, I should put it up on GitHub or SourceForge soon so people can contribute more easily. Do people still generally prefer GitHub?

Best,

dp
OK, I just checked it in as a git repo! Give it a shot:
https://github.com/LouisGorenfeld/DigitsVst
barbouze
Established Member

Post by barbouze »

Thanks a lot for all you've done, LouisG!
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

LouisG wrote:
davephillips wrote:

Best,

dp
OK, I just checked it in as a git repo! Give it a shot:
https://github.com/LouisGorenfeld/DigitsVst
super late to this party and sorry if this was answered already but I can't find it. After the git clone, I cd to the Linux folder and I found Digits.make. Cd to src and still can't find the install-digits.sh according to the Manual. How do I install this?
Again, sorry if it was posted already but I could find it. :mrgreen:
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

funkmuscle wrote:
After the git clone, I cd to the Linux folder and I found Digits.make. Cd to src and still can't find the install-digits.sh according to the Manual. How do I install this?
Looks like the information in the PDF is for the previous, 'closed' distribution of Digits. I came as far as https://github.com/LouisGorenfeld/Digit ... ll/3/files but didn't know where to get the VST SDK :).
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

Greetings,

I'm building Digits on Fedora 21 x86_64, a pretty old system, so I have to add this line to src/components/Tables.h :

Code: Select all

#include <stdlib.h>
to supply a missing rand function.

I had to create the sdks directory in the DigitsVST folder. The sdks directory contents are simply a link to your VST SDK, e.g $HOME/SDKs/VST_SDK/VST2_SDK.

So my top-level DigitsVST folder looks like :

[dave@The6300 DigitsVst]$ ls
Design.txt
graphics
linux
patches
sdks
windows
Digits Manual.pdf
License.txt
mac
README
The sdks folder :

[dave@The6300 sdks]$ ls -l
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 dave dave 30 Apr  8 16:08 vstsdk2.4 -> ../../../SDKs/VST_SDK/VST2_SDK
At this point I cd to DigitsVST/linux and run the makefile :

make -f Digits.make
The DigitsVST.so file will be in the same directory as the makefile, i.e. DigitsVST/linux. Copy it to your designated VST folder. See the manual for instructions on installing the manual and the presets. Alas, no default bank is provided. Bitwig can browse, audition, and load single FXP presets, I haven't tested Digits in other DAWs.

HTH,

dp
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

davephillips wrote:I have to add this line to src/components/Tables.h :

#include <stdlib.h>
to supply a missing rand function.
I see Louis just merged my PR so that shouldn't be necessary anymore
davephillips wrote:I had to create the sdks directory in the DigitsVST folder. The sdks directory contents are simply a link to your VST SDK, e.g $HOME/SDKs/VST_SDK/VST2_SDK.
Where do I get that though? https://www.steinberg.net/en/company/developers.html only appears to link version 3 - should I mail Steinberg for that?
davephillips wrote:See the manual for instructions on installing the manual and the presets. Alas, no default bank is provided. Bitwig can browse, audition, and load single FXP presets, I haven't tested Digits in other DAWs.
Nice :)
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

raboof wrote:
davephillips wrote:I had to create the sdks directory in the DigitsVST folder. The sdks directory contents are simply a link to your VST SDK, e.g $HOME/SDKs/VST_SDK/VST2_SDK.
Where do I get that though? https://www.steinberg.net/en/company/developers.html only appears to link version 3 - should I mail Steinberg for that?
No, you hit the right page. The download includes the SDKs for VST2 and VST3. My example above points to the VST2 folder.

Best,

dp
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

Hi all,
I made an SDKs folder in my home directory, and I unzipped the Steinberg zip there. Then I changed the path in the git version make file to see that path, as follows:

VSTSDKDIR = ~/SDKs/vstsdk367_03_03_2017_build_352/VST_SDK/VST2_SDK

But it still doesn't compile. I get this error:

brian@antix1:~/Tarballs/DigitsVst-master/DigitsVst-master/linux
$ make -f Digits.make 
g++ -Wall -O3 -D__cdecl="" -I../sdks/vstsdk2.4 -fvisibility=hidden -DNO_EDITOR -DDIGITS_PRO -I../src/digits -I../src/components -fPIC   -c -o ../src/components/Voice.o ../src/components/Voice.cpp
In file included from ../src/components/Voice.cpp:4:0:
../src/digits/VstCore.h:14:51: fatal error: public.sdk/source/vst2.x/audioeffectx.h: No such file or directory
 #include "public.sdk/source/vst2.x/audioeffectx.h"
                                                   ^
compilation terminated.
<builtin>: recipe for target '../src/components/Voice.o' failed
make: *** [../src/components/Voice.o] Error 1
What am I doing wrong?

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com