AV Linux 2017.4.9 Released!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

An updated 2017 ISO for AV Linux has been released, it features a new Audio Routing system,
many refinements and improvements and probably the most stable and functional collection of
Applications across the board to date! The older AV Linux 2016.8.30 ISO's are currently still
in the FTPs and will be phased out soon, make sure to download the 2017.4.9 release.

CHANGELOG:

- Aligned with Debian 9 'Stretch' instead of generic 'Testing'.
- Cleaned up some cruft that was hanging around.
- Completely new PulseAudio/JACK2 Audio Routing (thanks Hermann Meyer).
Guide here for existing users: http://bandshed.net/forum/index.php?topic=3937.0
- JACK2 now ensures compatibility with BitWig packaging.
- Added GCC6 compiler (now you can choose to compile with GCC 4.9,5 and 6)
- Added gtkdialog for various tools (had been removed from Debian).
- Moved to native Debian Wine Versions for various compatibility reasons.
- Added GRUB Customizer to assist with setting up Multiboot systems.
- Made MPV the default CD and DVD Player.
- Added Spotify Client.
- Quick Update Tool for Browsers and Flash without blanket updating during production.
- Ardour 5.8 + libcairo fix for U-he Plugins (Thanks Paul Davis, Robin Gareus)
- Ardour 5.8 WinVST build for 32bit AV Linux only (Thanks Robin Gareus)
- Mixbus 4.0.151 (Thanks Ben Loftis, Robin Gareus)
- Added WineASIO (compatible with Debian Wine Stable and Wine Development)
- Added AVL Drumkits LV2 (Thanks Robin Gareus)
- Added Guitarix LV2 Plugins (Thanks Hermann Meyer)
- Added LSP Plugins (Thanks Vladimir Sadovnikov)
- Update to Cinelerra 5.1 with MANY fixes and new features (Thanks GoodGuy and Phyllis)
- General System updates + thanks as always to falkTX for the KXStudio repos

Notes and known issues:

- First time AVL Users PLEASE read the User Manual in the Accessories Menu or found here:
http://bandshed.net/pdf/AVL2017.3UserManual.pdf
- Please favour the linuxaudio.org and Bytemark mirrors, Bandshed has limited bandwidth!
- The ArdourVST Build on AV Linux 32bit will take a bit of time to run first launch.
- The KX Studio repositories generate APT warnings that are harmless, these have been reported.

DOWNLOAD: http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/
Donations of any size are welcomed!!

Best Regards, Enjoy!
Glen MacArthur - AV Linux Maintainer
ufug
Established Member

Re: AV Linux 2017.4.9 Released!

Post by ufug »

Congrats, this looks incredible!

I've booted AV Linux from a flash drive a few times but I'm at a spot where I have a little breathing room and can install it on my main drive now. Great timing and thanks for all the work you put into this.
listenable at c6a7.org
magicalex
Established Member

Post by magicalex »

Look forward to trying it out. Thanks for all your hard work!
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

That's the first release with LSP Plugins out of the box!
Also thanks to Glen for finding some unpleasant bugs that have been fixed ASAP.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Congratulations, Glen, great work!
GMaq wrote:- Aligned with Debian 9 'Stretch' instead of generic 'Testing'.
Interesting, so, you are the very first who do a release of the newest debian stable branch, long before debian released it. :)
So, I guess, you plan to stay with it for long time? A so called LTS version?

regards
hermann
On the road again.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

tramp wrote:Congratulations, Glen, great work!
GMaq wrote:- Aligned with Debian 9 'Stretch' instead of generic 'Testing'.
Interesting, so, you are the very first who do a release of the newest debian stable branch, long before debian released it. :)
So, I guess, you plan to stay with it for long time? A so called LTS version?

regards
hermann
Testing is currently in 'freeze' so effectively is now released as only critical bugfixes will be added - no new code.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

This sounds fantastic - I look forward to trying it soon!

I was REALLY happy to see that you've included GRUB customizer Glen! IMO, every Linux distro that ships with X11 should also include grub customizer. GRUB is a cryptic pain to deal with otherwise and we all have to use it so why not make things easier for ourselves? I know I've suggested this to a few distros but no-one seemed to agree with me, as if nobody ever needs to mess with GRUB.

Glen - could I please nominate/suggest my image viewer, shufti, for inclusion in the next AVL? As far as I'm concerned, its the only image viewer that works correctly and its very lightweight, if you have pyqt installed already anyway. I'm just about to release 2.1 and I'd like to get your feedback on it.

https://github.com/danboid/shufti

Thanks!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi!

Thanks everyone for the comments, it is appreciated :)

As far as the 'Testing" and 'Stretch" thing...

What this really means is I simply have changed the entries in the /etc/apt/sources.list from 'testing' to 'stretch'. This AVL release is still technically Debian Testing (in the freeze process as folderol said) but when Stretch goes Stable this release will stay with Stretch instead of staying eternally in Testing and automatically hopping to the next version of Debian testing (whatever it will be called). I'm doing AV Linux with existing tools and Debian Testing/Unstable are great for the end-user but they break compatibility too often with the 'nuts and bolts' stuff I need to make the ISO's. As an example 'Systemback' already needs some held packages and duct tape to still function and the KXStudio repos are much better paced for Debian Stable.
kenedy

Post by kenedy »

That's really good news!!
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Code: Select all

isotester@avl64box:~$ screenfetch 
         _,met$$$$$gg.           isotester@avl64box
      ,g$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$P.        OS: Debian 9.0 stretch
    ,g$$P""       """Y$$.".      Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.4.30-rt41-avl2
   ,$$P'              `$$$.      Uptime: 9m
  ',$$P       ,ggs.     `$$b:    Packages: 2730
  `d$$'     ,$P"'   .    $$$     Shell: bash 4.4.11
   $$P      d$'     ,    $$P     Resolution: 1920x1080
   $$:      $$.   -    ,d$$'     DE: XFCE
   $$\;      Y$b._   _,d$P'      WM: Xfwm4
   Y$$.    `.`"Y$$$$P"'          WM Theme: Zukitre
   `$$b      "-.__               GTK Theme: Zukitre [GTK2]
    `Y$$                         Icon Theme: Vibrancy-Colors
     `Y$$.                       Font: Ubuntu Medium 10
       `$$b.                     CPU: Intel Atom CPU 330 @ 1.596GHz
         `Y$$b.                  GPU: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945G 
            `"Y$b._              RAM: 685MiB / 1993MiB
                `""""           
(

mud@freedom ~ $ screenfetch 
         -/oyddmdhs+:.                Plastic@People
     -odNMMMMMMMMNNmhy+-`             OS: Gentoo testing
   -yNMMMMMMMMMMMNNNmmdhy+-           Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.9.20-rt-rt16-Gilgamesh
 `omMMMMMMMMMMMMNmdmmmmddhhy/`        Uptime: 17m
 omMMMMMMMMMMMNhhyyyohmdddhhhdo`      Packages: 911
.ydMMMMMMMMMMdhs++so/smdddhhhhdm+`    Shell: bash 4.4.12
 oyhdmNMMMMMMMNdyooydmddddhhhhyhNd.   Resolution: 1920x1080
  :oyhhdNNMMMMMMMNNNmmdddhhhhhyymMh   DE: LXDE
    .:+sydNMMMMMNNNmmmdddhhhhhhmMmy   WM: OpenBox
       /mMMMMMMNNNmmmdddhhhhhmMNhs:   WM Theme: Surreal_Gentoo
    `oNMMMMMMMNNNmmmddddhhdmMNhs+`    GTK Theme: ThinIce [GTK2]
  `sNMMMMMMMMNNNmmmdddddmNMmhs/.      Icon Theme: nuoveXT2
 /NMMMMMMMMNNNNmmmdddmNMNdso:`        Font: Sans 10
+MMMMMMMNNNNNmmmmdmNMNdso/-           CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 6x 2.809GHz [45.0°C]
yMMNNNNNNNmmmmmNNMmhs+/-`             GPU: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 4.0, 128 bits)
/hMMNNNNNNNNMNdhs++/-`                RAM: 510MiB / 11973MiB
`/ohdmmddhys+++/:.`                  
  `-//////:--.                       
;-)
)

## Date 26.5.17

root@avl64box:/# synaptic

Firmware: Image

Kernel: Image

Module: Image

• AV Linux Assistant

• Additional Drivers

• tasksel

┌───────────────────────────────────┤ Software selection ├────────────────────────────────────┐
           │ You can choose to install one or more of the following predefined collections of software.  │ 
           │                                                                                             │ 
           │ Choose software to install:                                                                 │ 
           │                                                                                             │ 
           │    [ ] Packages for working with ambisonics (3D surround sound)                             │ 
           │    [ ] Packages for creating animations                                                     │ 
           │    [ ] Audio processing plugins, synths and virtual instruments                             │ 
           │    [ ] packages for manipulating & cataloging music and audio                               │ 
           │    [ ] Packages for broadcasting media publicly or in the home                              │ 
           │    [ ] Extra packages for developers and package compiling                                  │ 
           │    [ ] Packages for Disk Jockeys                                                            │ 
           │    [ ] Packages for drums & beats                                                           │ 
           │    [*] Packages for your firewire audiocard / interface                                     │ 
           │    [ ] Packages for making and editing artwork                                              │ 
           │    [ ] Packages for playing with your (virtual) guitar gear                                 │ 
           │    [ ] JACK (Jack Audio Connection Kit) and ALSA related packages                           │ 
           │    [ ] LADI, Linuxaudio session management, packages                                        │ 
           │    [ ] Packages for looping music and audio                                                 │ 
           │    [ ] MIDI related packages                                                                │ 
           │    [ ] Packages for mixing and mastering your music                                         │ 
           │    [ ] Packages for musicians                                                               │ 
           │    [ ] Packages for working with digital photography                                        │ 
           │    [ ] Packages which makes your multimedia tools complete                                  │ 
           │    [ ] Packages for working with Pure Data                                                  │ 
           │    [ ] Packages for audio recording                                                         │ 
           │    [ ] Software samplers                                                                    │ 
           │    [ ] Packages for sound synthesis                                                         │ 
           │    [ ] Video packages                                                                       │ 
           │    [*] Debian desktop environment                                                           │ 
           │    [ ] ... GNOME                                                                            │ 
           │    [ ] ... Xfce                                                                             │ 
           │    [ ] ... KDE                                                                              │ 
           │    [ ] ... Cinnamon                                                                         │ 
           │    [ ] ... MATE                                                                             │ 
           │    [ ] ... LXDE                                                                             │ 
           │    [ ] web server                                                                           │ 
           │    [*] print server                                                                         │ 
           │    [*] SSH server                                                                           │ 
           │    [ ] laptop                                                                               │ 
           │                                           <Ok>                                              │ 
           └─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.