Favicon poll!

How can I make this site better? Let me know what you'd like to see!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Which favicon do you like most?

1 LM
26%
2 LM
No votes
3 Lm
24%
4 LM
4%
5 note
4%
6 note
4%
7 LM
7%
8 LM
13%
9 note drop
4%
10 prompt
13%

Total votes: 46

raboof
Established Member

Favicon poll!

Post by raboof »

In the thread at viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16766 many interesting proposals have been made for a LinuxMusicians favicon. I think it's time for a poll!

The options are:
final.png
final.png (64.86 KiB) Viewed 12536 times
I'll use the poll and the comments below as input in choosing the favicon, perhaps after some refinements (i.e. those that are blurry on higher sizes will of course be rendered correctly later)
raboof
Established Member

Re: Favicon poll!

Post by raboof »

Keeping it linuxy, I generated the image above by dropping all options in a folder and running:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
rm -r out
mkdir out
for i in *.png *.ico; do
  convert -resize 16x16 $i out/$i-1.png
  convert -resize 32x32 $i out/$i-2.png
  convert -resize 64x64 $i out/$i-3.png
  convert -bordercolor white -border 30x0 +append out/$i-*.png out/$i-all.png
done
convert -bordercolor white -border 0x30 -append out/*-all.png out/final.png
bhilmers
Established Member

Post by bhilmers »

Thanks for taking the lead and making this poll! Hard to choose just three I like.

Also, I just wanted to point something out that's going to sound nit-picky, but I'm just trying to provide some technical/design perspective. Favicons at small resolutions are generally edited by hand after resizing (or constructed from scratch). There are loose guidelines for favicon, but the same rules apply for all icon design, mostly related to avoiding aliasing and making compromises at certain resolutions. The ZIP file I included with my design has a full icon set with several sizes, each modified at the individual pixel level for highest legibility. I hope the winner will take their higher resolution designs and generate a true low-res version for maximum impact (since I'll have to see it every day in my feed reader)!
Jarle
Established Member

Post by Jarle »

I agree with bhilmers and he's first alternative works best with current banner and theme on the site. Mine alternatives would need a complimentary banner to go with them, since they are not matching current theme. I will of course supply that if wanted and edit by hand the smallest icons in bitmap to be crisper (design is done in SVG).
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

bhilmers wrote:Favicons at small resolutions are generally edited by hand after resizing (or constructed from scratch)
Agreed - once we make a choice we should rerender/edit them properly for each resolution, sorry for not doing your design justice there but this was the fastest way to make the list :)
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Jarle wrote:I agree with bhilmers and he's first alternative works best with current banner and theme on the site. Mine alternatives would need a complimentary banner to go with them, since they are not matching current theme. I will of course supply that if wanted and edit by hand the smallest icons in bitmap to be crisper (design is done in SVG).
I personally really like design '3' and would totally be open to replacing the 'note drops' or perhaps even the complete header with a graphic in that style - I wasn't too thrilled by the banner posted earlier in viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16766 but we can certainly iterate on that. But indeed option '1' appears popular as well.
Jarle
Established Member

Post by Jarle »

Maybe:
LMHeader-example01.png
LMHeader-example01.png (28.48 KiB) Viewed 12568 times
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Jarle wrote:Maybe:
LMHeader-example01.png
Yeah I like that!
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

LMHeader-example01.png
I think the blue background should be the same color as in the logo.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
Jarle
Established Member

Post by Jarle »

raboof wrote: Yeah I like that!
Thank you :D
sadko4u wrote: I think the blue background should be the same color as in the logo.
The background with text was stolen(borrowed) from this site. Background could be set to match "Icons" blue color or the blue in the "Icon" could easily be set to match site background. There is lot of possibilities.
AndersBiork
Established Member

Post by AndersBiork »

I would actually vote for the missing number x (noedigs contribution) I think it is the most beautiful of the lot. I would argue that a favicon would not necessarily need to be "readable" but more like recognisable.
:)

My mother tongue is swedish. Running KXstudio on Xubuntu 22.04. No wine. No whine. But beers.

ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

I want to say I personally love the terminal one, but I think we shouldn't perpetuate the image that you must be command line savvy to be a linux musician.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

I've added 2 more options to the list but can't change the poll options without losing your votes - not sure yet how to proceed, perhaps we should do another 'round' with all options that received 4 or more votes along with the new contenders?
AyeLinux
Established Member

Post by AyeLinux »

I really like the Tux-treble logo, but it's too detailed to translate into a favicon. Maybe it can be used elsewhere.

In the end I only voted for #1. In my opinion, it's simple, clear, and attractive.
All in favor of Linux, say 'aye.'
bhilmers
Established Member

Post by bhilmers »

raboof wrote:
LMHeader-example01.png
Yeah I like that!
Yes, that looks sharp. If you look at the current site_logo.png the dimensions are 100px x 50px with alpha. If you resized yours to 50px high and knocked out everything that isn't white or black to transparent it should drop in perfectly.