Video Tutorial: Recording on Linux - with Ardour 5

Post fully complete "how to" guides and tutorials here. This is a great place to get feedback on stuff you might put in the wiki.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

JHoermann
Established Member

Video Tutorial: Recording on Linux - with Ardour 5

Post by JHoermann »

Hey!

In this Tutorial I'm showing some basics of Recording with Ardour 5.
Here is the Youtube-Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arvPwZlU1ak

Thanks for watching. Your feedback is always welcome.

Greetings,

Jochen
My Youtube channel about Linux audio production: https://www.youtube.com/user/JHoermann
Gear:
Notebook: Dell XPS 13
Audiointerface: Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd Gen
Guitar: Gibson Les Paul Tribute 60's
Mic: Superlux E205
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Video Tutorial: Recording on Linux - with Ardour 5

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Thanks for the tutorial, I'm going to watch it. Can you tell me if Ardour works well with VST instruments (synthesizer plugins)? And is it free?
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Ardour is free, with a twist ;)
The source code is free, so you can compile it yourself.
For ready to run binaries from the Ardour website, thus fully supported, you have to pay.

However, Ardour is available for free, if you're Linux distro has it in it's repo's. Most Linux distributions have this. The version in your package manager may however not be up to date.

Ardour works very well with linux synths VSTs. I use it all the time.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

rghvdberg wrote:Ardour is free, with a twist ;)
The source code is free, so you can compile it yourself.
For ready to run binaries from the Ardour website, thus fully supported, you have to pay.

However, Ardour is available for free, if you're Linux distro has it in it's repo's. Most Linux distributions have this. The version in your package manager may however not be up to date.

Ardour works very well with linux synths VSTs. I use it all the time.
Thank you for that clear answer.

Now I know why in my memory Ardour was free and open source. Indeed, Mint 17 (based on Ubuntu 14), which I use, has Ardour in its repo's. It's version 3. Installed it (went easy of course) and it looks great. I'm used to LMMS and activating a (Windows) VST synthesizer is very different in Ardour. I cannot find a clear 'How To' on Google for this. Any pointers? Some of my favourite synths (Moog!!!) are Windows VST's.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Have a look at airwave for windows vsts. Or Carla from kxstudio. I would recommend adding the kxstudio repo to your mint, ardour3 is ancient and has come a long way since then.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

sysrqer wrote:Have a look at airwave for windows vsts. Or Carla from kxstudio. I would recommend adding the kxstudio repo to your mint, ardour3 is ancient and has come a long way since then.
Thanks for the tip. But it's a bit strange. I followed the instructions here (don't forget to run a "apt-get update" afterwards of course). Went fine. Strange thing is that KXStudio contains Ardour 3 (see this link). Carla is a complicated piece of software by the way. Hope there is an easier way to use Win VSTi's in a DAW.

LMMS is a nice DAW, but it does not support the recording of "live" stuff like a vocal etc. I'm under the impression that Ardour does that's why I liked the fact that it has a tutorial here.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

That picture on the kxstudio website is out of date, it definitely contains Ardour v5. Airwave is pretty easy but I think carla is simpler to setup and use. Just inset a carla rack and add the plugin you want.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

sysrqer wrote:That picture on the kxstudio website is out of date, it definitely contains Ardour v5. Airwave is pretty easy but I think carla is simpler to setup and use. Just inset a carla rack and add the plugin you want.
Thanks again for the info. I see that the Ardour version in my Pacakge Manager (Synaptic) is version 4. I feel a bit like an amateur/fool. I've tried to Google this to no avail, but how do I insert a Carla Rack? It's not via: "Session --> Import".
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Right click on a space in the mixer strip near where to Fader box is and choose new plugin.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

sysrqer wrote:Right click on a space in the mixer strip near where to Fader box is and choose new plugin.
Thanks. Here's what I did:
  1. Open "Editor & Mixer" window (ALT + M).
  2. Right click on the area under the Fader.
  3. Click on "New plugin" and drag Carla-Rack to the Mixer.
  4. Double-click the Carla-Rack and in the Carla Window click "Configure Carla". Under paths choose 'VST' instead of the standard selected LADSPA' and poit to the path of your Windows VST dll's.
  5. In Carla-Rack choose: "Add plugin --> mark 'VST' --> click 'Refresh' " and choose the VST of you liking.
Then Ardour crashed on my favourite Minimoog plugin when I click on the gear icon that loads the GUI of the VST instrument. Second time I tried it it didn't crash and I copuld play my beloved Minimoog. I'm happy now! :)

I'm gonna hunt for Linux VST's now. Hopefully there's a nice Minimoog.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Then Ardour crashed on my favourite Minimoog plugin when I click on the gear icon that loads the GUI of the VST instrument. Second time I tried it it didn't crash and I copuld play my beloved Minimoog. I'm happy now! :)
Did you updated wine as well when you added kxstudio? There is a package called wine-rt which should replace mint's wine version. This might help a lot, I dread to think what version of wine mint has :D
Linuxmusician01 wrote: I'm gonna hunt for Linux VST's now. Hopefully there's a nice Minimoog.
This would be the best thing. You can run windows vsts reasonably well in linux but something running natively is always better. I can't think of anything that can directly compare to minimoog but I suspect zynaddsubfx can do similar things if you dig in to it. I would recommend checking unfa's youtube channel, he goes in to great detail to show what the synth is capable of - https://www.youtube.com/user/unfa00\\

edit: oh actually have a look at Bristol synth package
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

sysrqer wrote:edit: oh actually have a look at Bristol synth package
Bristol is brilliant: I love it very, very much. It's not a VST though. Might be more difficult to use w/ a DAW (clock/tempo wise).
JHoermann
Established Member

Post by JHoermann »

For Synthesizers also have a look at u-he and Tracktion Biotek.
For u-he Linux Beta: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=424953
And Tracktion Biotek: https://www.tracktion.com/products/biotek
I made a new Video about Plugins on Linux: Audio Plugins on Linux!?
My Youtube channel about Linux audio production: https://www.youtube.com/user/JHoermann
Gear:
Notebook: Dell XPS 13
Audiointerface: Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd Gen
Guitar: Gibson Les Paul Tribute 60's
Mic: Superlux E205
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

JHoermann wrote: I made a new Video about Plugins on Linux: Audio Plugins on Linux!?
That is a very good tutorial. Thank you. :)