midi output from gxtuner.lv2 plugin in Ardour

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

bigjuergo
Established Member

midi output from gxtuner.lv2 plugin in Ardour

Post by bigjuergo »

Hi,

can anyone please tell me how to configure the Ardour Tracks, so I can record the midi out of gxtuner.lv2?
  • I tried to create a Audio+Midi Track.
    As input I used a voice track
    The plugin is working and shows me the notes
    I click the send midi, single note and fast detection buttons
I can not get a midi signal out.
I wanted to route the midi out to a midi track where I record the notes.

thank you very much for any help!
tramp
Established Member

Re: midi output from gxtuner.lv2 plugin in Ardour

Post by tramp »

go to the head of the midi track , make a right click and select "inputs".
In the pop-up widget select "Ardour Traces", then select "Audio X out" were X is the number of the track were you've put gxtuner in.
Now press record on the midi track and in the upper control and press "start".
On the road again.
bigjuergo
Established Member

Post by bigjuergo »

thx for the advice.

sometimes a get one peak depending on the velocity as an input to the midi channel.

the reset is always toggling from -1 to 1

as voice as input it is very difficult to find a setting so that an midi output takes place although the display in gxtuner always shows some notes.

what does the parameters GATE, SYNTHFREQ, VERIFY, VELOCITY, RESET, THRESHOLD mean?
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

bigjuergo wrote:what does the parameters GATE, SYNTHFREQ, VERIFY, VELOCITY, RESET, THRESHOLD mean?
SYNTHFREQ and RESET are used internal for communication between engine and UI, you don't need to care about. (They are not on the UI therefore)

THRESHOLD means the min level from input were the tuner tracked the incoming signal signals under the threshold will be threaded as zero.
VERIFY means how often the same Note needs to be detected in series before a midi note will be send,Setting higher values will avoid wrong notes, but also reduce the responsibility.
GATE means the Note_on level, check the little VU-meter on the right side, to set the level for when Note On signals will be send.
VELOCITY is the velocity of the midi signal.

Be aware that detection is monophonic and works on the Note attack, so singing long Notes isn't helpful to find a way working with it. Start with short Notes and check the output to find settings which suite you best.

But, I've stated this in other threads already, don't expect wonders from the results.
On the road again.
bigjuergo
Established Member

Post by bigjuergo »

i do not understand why the Eb4 and f = 311.1Hz is translated perfectly, but no midi signal is coming out from my Audio+MIDI track where the gxtuner.lv2 is loaded.
If I know the freq it must be very easy for a single tone to translate to a midi note.

i have routed the midi output of Audio+Midi to the Midi input of r.

i played with the plugin settings, but I found no suitable configuration that brings me a midi output
Attachments
2.png
2.png (10.95 KiB) Viewed 702 times
1.png
1.png (86.79 KiB) Viewed 703 times
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

from what I see in the picture, you've set the Level to high, means the little silver bar in the level meter. It is the threshold for the Note ON detection. You're input level is below that level. Set it to something like -40db, or so.
Also, when I remember right, I haven't implement other tet's then the 12 tet to the midi output.
Here, it works fine with just the default settings, only turn on Midi-out and set single mode, leave the rest to default.

You may be interested in this post, were you find a example use of gxtuner, and a setup file for carla to use it within carla.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=16413#p76188
On the road again.