Windows DAWs on Linux Mint?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Mister Mint
Established Member

Windows DAWs on Linux Mint?

Post by Mister Mint »

Hello,

I have installed Wine but can't get Windows DAWs to work on Linux Mint. Presonus Studio One simply won't start, and with Zynewave Podium I get no sound. I installed the Wineasio driver for Podium, but when I choose “Asio drivers” in the “Configure Audio”, the “Asio Interface” just says “<None>”.

Anyone knows about this?
progwolff
Established Member

Re: Windows DAWs on Linux Mint?

Post by progwolff »

Hi,

you need to install wineasio and run 'regsvr32 wineasio'
After this you should be able to connect ASIO applications to jack.
Mister Mint
Established Member

Post by Mister Mint »

Thanks, I've run 'regsvr32 wineasio' succesfully, but in Podium when I now choose "WineASIO Driver" a message comes up saying that a serious problem has occured, so that Podium has to close. And Presonus Studio One still won't start at all. But maybe I haven't installed it correctly..
progwolff
Established Member

Post by progwolff »

Please run it from a console and show me the output.
It's probably just some libraries missing.

As stated at WineHQ your issues could possibly be resolved by running

Code: Select all

winetricks gdiplus corefonts
Mister Mint
Established Member

Post by Mister Mint »

If you mean 'regsvr32 wineasio' then it's:

tl@tl-P5Q-SE ~ $ regsvr32 wineasio
Successfully registered DLL wineasio

I'm not sure how to run an exe file from a console..

winetricks gdiplus corefonts gave this:

tl@tl-P5Q-SE ~ $ winetricks gdiplus corefonts
Executing w_do_call gdiplus
Executing load_gdiplus
Executing mkdir -p /home/tl/.cache/winetricks/win7sp1
Downloading http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... 32-X86.exe to /home/tl/.cache/winetricks/win7sp1
--2016-10-16 22:51:24-- http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... 32-X86.exe
Løser download.microsoft.com (download.microsoft.com)... 23.13.216.81, 2001:6c8:161:85::e59, 2001:6c8:161:84::e59
Tilslutter download.microsoft.com (download.microsoft.com)|23.13.216.81|:80... forbundet.
HTTP forespørgsel sendt, afventer svar... 200 OK
Længde: 563934504 (538M) [application/octet-stream]
Gemmer til: 'windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe'

100%[======================================>] 563.934.504 2,11MB/s om 4m 25s

2016-10-16 22:55:49 (2,03 MB/s) - 'windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe' gemt [563934504/563934504]

Executing cabextract -q -d /home/tl/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp/_gdiplus -L -F x86_microsoft.windows.gdiplus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.1.7601.17514_none_72d18a4386696c80/gdiplus.dll /home/tl/.cache/winetricks/win7sp1/windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe
Executing cp /home/tl/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/temp/_gdiplus/x86_microsoft.windows.gdiplus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.1.7601.17514_none_72d18a4386696c80/gdiplus.dll /home/tl/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system32/gdiplus.dll
Using native override for following DLLs: gdiplus
Executing winetricks_early_wine regedit C:\windows\Temp\_gdiplus\override-dll.reg
Executing w_do_call corefonts
Executing load_corefonts
Executing mkdir -p /home/tl/.cache/winetricks/corefonts
Downloading http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourc ... rial32.exe to /home/tl/.cache/winetricks/corefonts
--2016-10-16 22:55:55-- http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourc ... rial32.exe
Løser surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net (surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net)... 130.59.138.21, 2001:620:0:1b::21
Tilslutter surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net (surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net)|130.59.138.21|:80... mislykkedes: Opkoblingen overskred tidsgrænsen.
Tilslutter surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net (surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net)|2001:620:0:1b::21|:80... mislykkedes: Netværket er ikke tilgængeligt.
Prøver igen.

--2016-10-16 22:58:04-- (forsøg: 2) http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourc ... rial32.exe
Tilslutter surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net (surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net)|130.59.138.21|:80... mislykkedes: Opkoblingen overskred tidsgrænsen.
Tilslutter surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net (surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net)|2001:620:0:1b::21|:80... mislykkedes: Netværket er ikke tilgængeligt.
Prøver igen.

--2016-10-16 23:00:13-- (forsøg: 3) ... and so on.. until I closed it.

Translated to English the last part says:

--2016-10-16 22:55:55-- http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourc ... rial32.exe
Solving surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net (surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net)... 130.59.138.21, 2001:620:0:1b::21
Connecting surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net (surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net)|130.59.138.21|:80... failed: The connection exceeded the time limit.
Connecting surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net (surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net)|2001:620:0:1b::21|:80... failed: The network is not accessible.
Trying again.

--2016-10-16 22:58:04-- (Trial: 2) ...

Podium still crashes, saying the cause might be a problem in Podium or a lack in Wine, and Studio One still doesn't start at all.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Are you running 64 bit studio one or 32 bit? A few reports mention that 32 bit is the only version they could get working.
Your version of wine could be causing a problem, is it 1.6 you have?
https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.p ... cbcca50393
Mister Mint
Established Member

Post by Mister Mint »

Oops, I'm afraid it's a 64 bit studio one, and my system is 32 bit. In any case, I downloaded the free version from here https://shop.presonus.com/products/stud ... ne-3-Prime and under "Tech Specs" it says:

Windows 7 x64/x86 SP1 + platform update, Windows 8.1 x64/x86, Windows 10 x64/x86

Only 64 bit. Ignorant me :roll:

Yes, I have version 1.6.2 of Wine.
Mister Mint
Established Member

Post by Mister Mint »

I wonder if anyone has tried Zynewave Podium and got it working?
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Mister Mint wrote:I wonder if anyone has tried Zynewave Podium and got it working?
Free version works ok for me so far.
Honestly, I'm not sure what the appeal is, it's the most unintuitive daw I've ever used. Ardour seems much more powerful and easier to use.
Screenshot_20161020_223321.png
Screenshot_20161020_223321.png (157.71 KiB) Viewed 1776 times
Mister Mint
Established Member

Post by Mister Mint »

Ok, thanks for checking! What distro are you using?
Unfortuneately all the linux daws I've tried lack some basic features that I need. Podium might do the same, but I'd like to find a windows daw now that suits me and is working on linux mint, or I'll have to return to windows OS :x
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I am using kde neon but I would think that the important thing is wine, I am using the rt version from the kxstudio repo, I think mint can use that as well.
What are you missing exactly? Maybe you have overlooked something and we can help and give suggestions. Running a whole daw in wine can be very unreliable although a special case is reaper, that works well.
Mister Mint
Established Member

Post by Mister Mint »

Yes, it's probably something with wine. I have the "standard" wine, should I uninstall that one first, before installing the wine-rt version? And as you see below, there's 4 uninstalled packages that are called something with "wine-rt", should I just install them all?
Skærmbillede-Synaptic - pakkehåndtering .png
Skærmbillede-Synaptic - pakkehåndtering .png (187.32 KiB) Viewed 1767 times
Well, there are many small drawbacks and limitations imo, but if you take ardour, the biggest one for me is its midi part. If you import a midi file and want to hear something else than the Reasonable synth, then you have to add a new MIDI track/bus, set the send/output of EACH track of the midi file to this midi bus, and replace Reasonable synth with another synth, to just get started. Then if you save the template, close the session, open a new session with the saved template, and import a MIDI file again, you have to repeat all this all over again :x With qtractor the main limitation (for me) is that you can only apply a plugin to a whole track, not a clip. Rosegarden and Muze both have very limited audio features, Renoise and Bitwig are built in a way that just doesn't suit me, and so on. I've already had a lot of great help, not at least here at this forum, and with many other problems solved, but these limitations are real. Anyway thanks.
sysrqer wrote:Running a whole daw in wine can be very unreliable
I didn't know that. Is it a capasity issue, maybe my 4 gb ram won't do? Btw, what windows version have you chosen in the Wine configuration? If it matters at all..

Thanks, I'll try reaper later.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Mister Mint wrote:Yes, it's probably something with wine. I have the "standard" wine, should I uninstall that one first, before installing the wine-rt version? And as you see below, there's 4 uninstalled packages that are called something with "wine-rt", should I just install them all?
There's no standard wine, you just have an old version of it. The rt patched versions, as far as I remember from the patches, are not drastically different.
I think if you install the kxstudio version it should uninstall the mint version.
Mister Mint wrote: Well, there are many small drawbacks and limitations imo, but if you take ardour, the biggest one for me is its midi part. If you import a midi file and want to hear something else than the Reasonable synth, then you have to add a new MIDI track/bus, set the send/output of EACH track of the midi file to this midi bus, and replace Reasonable synth with another synth, to just get started. Then if you save the template, close the session, open a new session with the saved template, and import a MIDI file again, you have to repeat all this all over again :x
I don't use midi files in the way you describe but I just tried it out in ardour I can't reproduce your problem. If I import a midi file, I select a different instrument from the import box an that is what is used for all the tracks that midi file opens. If I import again then the instrument I chose is now selected as default. I don't really understand what you mean about setting the send/output of each midi track and a bus. If you import the midi tracks with none selected as the instrument then you can send them to all to a bus with a multichannel instrument very easily with the routing matrix. I'm not even sure if this is what you mean though, why do you need to send the midi to another bus to hear another instrument? I can't think how this would be any different is any daw, the daw can only use the instruments you tell it to use.
Mister Mint wrote:
sysrqer wrote:Running a whole daw in wine can be very unreliable
I didn't know that. Is it a capasity issue, maybe my 4 gb ram won't do? Btw, what windows version have you chosen in the Wine configuration? If it matters at all..
Thanks, I'll try reaper later.
Daws are some of the most demanding and complex pieces of software you could use. Running that in an emulation/compatibility layer of another operating system which is maintained by volunteers is never going to be as smooth as the OS it is meant for. Wine has got pretty good in the last few years but it's asking a lot to do such a task. That said, people do run windows daws. I heard that the reaper developer actively works to ensure that reaper works well in wine. These days though there is little reason to need to run a windows daw, I can't really think of anything that can't be done natively in linux.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Forgot, I have wine set to Windows XP but I don't remember this being set for any particular reason.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

sysrqer wrote:Forgot, I have wine set to Windows XP but I don't remember this being set for any particular reason.
Wine devs advice to leave it on XP unless the Windows program specifically require a higher Windows version.