Shuriken Beat Slicer 0.5

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Joermungand
Established Member

Re: Shuriken Beat Slicer 0.5

Post by Joermungand »

Done & tested. Shuriken is back in AUR . :D
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

Fantastic! Thank you :)
Joermungand
Established Member

Post by Joermungand »

Glad I can help.
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

Some "behind-the-scenes" changes in Shuriken have been pushed to the git repo:

Qt5 compatibility
JUCE updated to v4.2.0
C++11 support

I've only had time to try this on Ubuntu 14.04 so please let me know if there's any issues on other distros.

Shuriken is still backwards compatible with Qt4 and the build script now accepts the optional argument "--qt4".

Note: if you build against Qt5 then unfortunately the waveform scrolls very jerkily when using the cursor keys, though using the mouse is fine.
Joermungand
Established Member

Post by Joermungand »

I wrote a new PKGBUILD for this one (shuriken-git), so as to make both versions available. The new one builds against Qt5 and the waveform scrolls just fine here (with Qt 5.6).
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

Joermungand wrote:I wrote a new PKGBUILD for this one (shuriken-git), so as to make both versions available.
Joermungand wrote:The new one builds against Qt5 and the waveform scrolls just fine here (with Qt 5.6).
That's good to know. Ubuntu 14.04 has Qt 5.2.1
Sh4mw0w

Post by Sh4mw0w »

So first off , Shuriken is awesome. I've done a lot of music production, been in a few bands etc. About a year ago I decided to move to hardware almost exclusively, mainly because I find making music within a computer isn't very much fun, and is not very inspiration friendly.

I've been working with a few hardware synths, a couple of sequencers and samplers, and a hardware multitrack recorder.

There's been a gap in my workflow though, and that's going from various loops and samples pulled from old records or mp3s into my samplers. With Shuriken, I can pull a drum loop from an old record, get the bpm set precisely and the loop perfect, and then chop it up into little snippets and export them as waves

I can then drop the wave files into my sp606 , assign them to pads, and then continue making music.

This is the perfect tool for anyone working with hardware sequencers and samplers. It lets you bypass the tedious parts of an all-hardware workflow, without spending all your time in front of a DAW
Sh4mw0w

Post by Sh4mw0w »

What are the odds that Shuriken could be ported to Android?

I bring this up because I noticed that Shuriken didn't compile on my Linux distro (Void Linux musl x86-64), which doesn't use glibc (it uses musl). I had to fix some qt5 locale related stuff to get it compile, as there were some Glibc specific constants in there like _NL_LANGUAGE or something...

While I was fixing that, I noticed flags in the Qt5 libs and some of the Shurken source for #ifdef ANDROID etc. Since Android supports Qt5 apparently, what are the odds that this app could be ported to Android? Anyone have any experience porting Qt5 apps to Android? Is this unrealistic or is this something that's possible, and what would be the level of effort?
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

Hi Sh4mw0w, glad to hear you're enjoying Shuriken!
Sh4mw0w wrote:What are the odds that Shuriken could be ported to Android?
It isn't out of the question. Shuriken relies on Qt5, JUCE, RubberBand, and aubio, all of which can run on Android. However...
Sh4mw0w wrote:what would be the level of effort?
That I have no idea! Shuriken is currently designed for screens no smaller 800x600 pixels, so some amount of work would be required to support smaller tablets and mobile phones.
Sh4mw0w wrote:Shuriken didn't compile on my Linux distro (Void Linux musl x86-64), which doesn't use glibc (it uses musl). I had to fix some qt5 locale related stuff to get it compile, as there were some Glibc specific constants in there like _NL_LANGUAGE or something...
Interesting! I'd never heard of Void Linux before or the musl library. Would you be interested in creating a source package for Void? I had a quick look at some of the packages at https://github.com/voidlinux/void-packages and they look similar to AUR packages.
Chibchan
Established Member

Post by Chibchan »

Can i make a feature request?
Slicing samples according to a grid (bars, beats, divisions, and ticks).
Is it possible?
I do realize that shuriken has an "onset and beats" option when finding slices.
Does the "Beats" option allow for such method of slicing?
Inquiring minds want to know :mrgreen:

Thank you RockHopper for shuriken!!
mendo
Established Member

Post by mendo »

Do you see possibilities to create packages for 16.04. -- the current LTS version and basis of Mint?

Version

Code: Select all

shuriken_0.5.1-1wily1_amd64.deb
works on 16.04.
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

Chibchan wrote:Slicing samples according to a grid (bars, beats, divisions, and ticks). Is it possible?
Hi Chibchan, glad you're enjoying Shuriken! Find beats doesn't always work so well, especially at the beginning of the audio sample. The "aubio" library makes some mistakes in the first couple of bars of audio before it begins to detect the beat accurately. Instead, you can turn on snapping and manually move the slice points to where you want them. To enable snapping, first specify the length of the audio sample (e.g. 4 bars) then click the BPM "Calc" button. A ruler will appear at the top of the waveform and the "Snap" dropdown list will be enabled.
mendo wrote:Do you see possibilities to create packages for 16.04.
Your wish is my command! :)
Chibchan
Established Member

Post by Chibchan »

Excellent, got it all working with a little elbow grease.
Thanks again Rockhopper, your dedication is immensely appreciated!
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

tatch wrote:is there any way to apply a group mute to shuriken? like when you trigger a slice it automatically mutes any other slice that may be playing? that'd be super helpful re: fingerdrumming
motosega wrote:that's something that would be nice in akai pgm export.

normaly the first thing i do when loading a set of samples from shuriken into the mpc is set poly mode to mono and mute group to 1.
Hi! I've added a button to Shuriken to toggle monophonic mode. motosega, if you're still about (or if anyone else has an MPC 500/1000/2500) could you check that this works with Akai pgm export? So if you enable monophonic mode in Shuriken and then export an Akai pgm, "voice overlap" is set to mono for all of the pads. Is this the right way to do it?

Remember that the build script now defaults to Qt5 so if you need Qt4 use

Code: Select all

./build --qt4
motosega
Established Member

Post by motosega »

Hi Rockhopper,

Yep, i'm still here!

Mono mode works! I'm still impressed that you can add all these features without an mpc on your desk, i have trouble writing hello world programs without forgetting a semicolon somewhere.

Setting mono mode is fantastic, but having the option to add all the samples to a mute group would be great too

Mono mode means that the sample won't play over itself, but samples set to the same mute group won't play over each other.

I normaly just set the mute group to 1, unless i'm doing something odd with more mute groups.

my mpc500 has 32 mute groups, i'm not sure about the mpc1000\2500.

I expect soundfonts have a similar feature, since its needed for hi hats. I don't know how many groups you can have in soundfont though.

This makes shuriken much faster to use! Thanks!