what about LMMS?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Bandersson
Established Member

what about LMMS?

Post by Bandersson »

Anyone tried it? what do you think of it?
I think its kinda neat, and i would've use it if it weren't for some flaws and lacking features.
i think the setup were you can have either a looping beat/baseline or normal tracks with audio or midi-pianoroll is GREAT! The beat/baseline editor is one loop wich can control any channel you have access to in the program but that loop is the the only thing that can be played on that track, it works just like whole FL-studio does, looping is easy but composing long tracks is less effective. the the normal pianoroll tracks work just like in say, rosegarden where the track controls only one channel and can be endlessly varied whitout adding new tracks and looped through copying midi clips.

As for the drawbacks in LMMS i have experienced it crash several times, And there is no feature to change time signature and thats just stupid i think. You cant do it in FL-studio either and i wonder why are peaple releasing sequencers with that kind of simple limitation? Especially for FL-studio wich you have to pay for. it just puzzles me.
And i also miss a mixer in LMMS. IF it were not for lacking these features i would use it extensively i think.

what do you think?
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

I also had a look at it when I was looking for a decent MIDI sequencer. But all you describe here has revealed to be major drawbacks in using it on a daily basis. So I use rosegarden for my MIDI drumming and after all, that was all I needed :)
schivmeister
Established Member

Post by schivmeister »

Yes, ever since I met LMMS it's been my tool to create synth tracks. It doesn't work well with JACK but with ALSA it's perfect. Did you know that it comes with native support for VST(i)? That's what got me attracted in the first place.

Personally it's been a good experience, I'm surprised. Yes, it did crash unexpectedly a few times but compared to how well and long it runs with many VST effects and intstruments the downsides are nullified. Above all, it's plenty user-friendly and my previous Fruity Loops (now FL Studio) experience is on good terms with it.

On to time signatures. Well, the piano-roll is such that you can define any length of beats/bars and hence not needing a time signature option. For recording MIDI signals (which I haven't tested), quantisation is there (look above right corner in roll). I would, however, appreciate a roll-basis tempo manager independent of the global tempo.