Music hosting sites: Let's talk about these, shall we?

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Lyberta
Established Member

Re: Music hosting sites: Let's talk about these, shall we?

Post by Lyberta »

beck wrote:Put an add-blocker and NoScript in your Firefox and those spyware scripts will not bother you anymore. :wink:
Of course I have those, I have AdBlock Plus, Disconnect, uMatrix, Privacy Badger, etc. They block all ads, trackers and uMatrix blocks any cross-site requests.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

beck wrote:Then what can happen?
Why that much if NoScript on it's own does the job?
NoScript is not enough.
tnovelli
Established Member

Post by tnovelli »

You can open the Network Monitor (Ctrl-Shift-Q in Firefox) to see what 3rd party sites your browser is actually connecting to.

NoScript is good but it won't protect you if you click "Allow All On This Page" on a few sites. You'll end up whitelisting shit like Google Analytics and Facebook, then they'll track you everywhere you go. Use a different browser (or profile) for the few sites that insist on that shit, and only for those sites.

Better yet use TOR Browser whenever you can... every site you go to will see you as a new visitor with a different IP.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

Of course I use Tor.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

So I was looking for the freely licensed music and found Tribe of Noise: https://www.tribeofnoise.com

All music there is CC-BY-SA. Seems cool.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Another nudge for Bandcamp. So easy for streaming or downloading, and completely flexible with design and licensing options. I put my last collection of songs there and even though I was asking zero, people were sending me money. Nice. As a listener I love Bandcamp because I can download so many different formats, including ogg. It's also more friendly than Soundcloud in terms of the idea of the album rather than single tracks, which is something old farts like me enjoy.

Soundcloud works fine but IMHO it's not musician friendly. I had two takedowns and an account suspension in my first year there, and as someone who spent a decade working in music publishing it was pretty clear to me that they are ready and willing to bend over very quickly without checking the facts if there was an actual issue or not (there were zero legit issues).
listenable at c6a7.org
Goodvibes

Post by Goodvibes »

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I tried CDbaby first, but after a while they asked me to switch to the PRO version, so I'm done.

Now I'm trying Bandcamp, but the payments didn't reach me because I read later that you have to have a PRO account together with a BUSINESS account from Paypal.

In short I would like an independent platform that does NOT require subsequent upgrades and that is customizable without too many surprises, does anyone know about it?
Wafol

Post by Wafol »

Lyberta wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:23 am Here's something I've discovered today:

DO NOT USE SOUNDCLOUD.

It doesn't work with cookies disabled, so I assume it's spyware.
:shock: I didn't know about it, thank you for the tip
logicgate
Established Member

Post by logicgate »

Goodvibes wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:34 pm Now I'm trying Bandcamp, but the payments didn't reach me because I read later that you have to have a PRO account together with a BUSINESS account from Paypal.
I've used Bandcamp for 10 years and you do NOT need to have a Pro account with Bandcamp in order to get paid.

I don't remember whether a PayPal business account is required as I most likely already had that type of account when I signed up with Bandcamp.
Logic Gate Music (retro electronic music and more...)