Linux REAPER works!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: Linux REAPER works!

Post by funkmuscle »

eric71 wrote:I've been having a lot of fun with this over the last week, and especially since the vst support has been added. It has been surprising to me how many of the vsts I use can get by without the normal gui. The only things I'm really missing are Carla and drumgizmo. Even MasterMix, which is a pretty complex plugin, lets me use all its presets and makes all of the controls available as sliders. My migration from REAPER to Tracktion half a year ago might turn out to be short lived. I wonder if this pace of development will continue now with all of the publicity they have gotten via Phoronix, LAS, etc.
Windows VSTs?? if yeah, how? My version only sees the lxvsts.
eric71
Established Member

Post by eric71 »

I should have specified - linux vsts.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

davephillips are you sure you're using the latest version? There was definitely a change in this area with the newest update.
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

sysrqer wrote:davephillips are you sure you're using the latest version? There was definitely a change in this area with the newest update.
The About Reaper panel says it's v5.20rc3/64 compiled May 7 2016. I downloaded the packages from the dev folder at landoleet.org, I assumed that's the correct location. As I mentioned, I've used the precompiled libSwell and my own build, got the same results.

Any & all suggestions welcome.

Best,

dp
Drumfix
Established Member

Post by Drumfix »

@dave you have to install the microsoft truetype fonts.

On my ubuntu 14.04 the package is called ttf-mscorefonts-installer
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

Drumfix wrote:@dave you have to install the microsoft truetype fonts.

On my ubuntu 14.04 the package is called ttf-mscorefonts-installer
I'm pretty sure it is installed :

Code: Select all

# rpm -i msttcore-fonts-installer-2.6-1.noarch.rpm 
package msttcore-fonts-installer-2.6-1.noarch is already installed
Best,

dp
Drumfix
Established Member

Post by Drumfix »

And did you run the installer? i.e. are the fonts installed in /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts
Reaper is using the Arial.ttf from there.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I don't have those fonts installed unless reaper is somehow getting them from my wine installation but that would be weird because the fonts are not in the font paths.
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

Drumfix wrote:And did you run the installer? i.e. are the fonts installed in /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts
Reaper is using the Arial.ttf from there.
Yes, the fonts are installed, they're needed by other applications on my system. However, they aren't installed at the path you specified, so I created a link between /usr/share/fonts/msttcore and a newly created /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts. Voila, problem solved, thank you very much.

Best,

dp
tkoham
Established Member

Post by tkoham »

Just installed from the AUR and it seems to run fine, even loads carla and recognizes my other plugins without a hitch.
eric71
Established Member

Post by eric71 »

tkoham wrote:Just installed from the AUR and it seems to run fine, even loads carla and recognizes my other plugins without a hitch.
I know the AUR version is compiling libSwell from Git. I'm curious if there's been anything new (like gui's for linux vsts) since the precompiled version at landoleet from May 7th. Do you get a gui for Carla?

edit: never mind - I cloned and compiled it. Same results. No vst guis. I'll keep eagerly awaiting the next update.
eric71
Established Member

Post by eric71 »

So, some more experimenting with 5.20rc3. This afternoon I decided to install wine-rt, with all the 64 bit stuff from kxstudio. I then installed Airwave and tried get some windows vsts up and running. I'd actually rather use all native Linux vsts, but I was bored, and there seems to be a lot of interest over at the REAPER forums about whether there will be a bridge included or not.

I decided to try some free 64 bit plugins (I downloaded and installed Voxengo Boogex and Tube Amp). As well as some of the 32 bit plugins I had installed on my Windows 10 hard drive (just copied over to my wine directory). The Voxengo stuff scanned and loaded (without gui of course) in REAPER, but I could get no sound out of them. They loaded just fine with GUI in Ardour 4,7 and produced sound.

As far as 32 bit plugs, I got NuBiLE and Spinner (my favoite B3 simulations) working without any issues and tested their presets. I was also able to use FerricTDS - which is something I have missed in Linux.

At any rate - it seems that Airwave is already working with native Linux REAPER to some extent.
eric71
Established Member

Post by eric71 »

And yet more REAPER for Linux news:

on the dev section of the landoleet.org site, today a "elastique2.so" has appeared. Putting this into the /REAPER/plugins/ folder where you have extracted the linux dev REAPER allows the ReaTune plugin to use the Elastique engine now - so now it has the same pitch correction abilities as the Windows version :)
tkoham
Established Member

Post by tkoham »

funkmuscle wrote:
glowrak guy wrote:
danboid wrote: The Linux REAPER thread on the COCKOS forum is sadly plagued with endless Linux-bashing peppered and cries of how evil and insurmountably hard JACK and the terminal are :(
An opportunity is there for injections of truth.

[DISCLAIMER: just my feelings towards others on other platforms]

and that's why I hate when I see Linux stuff ported to Windblows.. not saying we shouldn't but Mac and Winblows users are quick to love the ported Linux stuff but do we see that in return?
Why Reaper? Don't get me wrong, I have it on my Winblows machine as I need it to help a friend out who is just starting to dive into recording for his video based business. Reaper is amazing so so is Ardour, Qtractor, Rosegarden, etc.. Reaper for Linux, does it mean we can now the use of Win VSTs?

just inquiring and trying to see if I'm missing something.. :mrgreen:
Well, if it's open source, then it's against the spirit of it not to port them. Also, having them on closed source systems means we get commercial downstream support in limited circumstances, so, it isn't all bad.
wolftune
Established Member

Post by wolftune »

What's the status? Is it worth going with native REAPER over Wine yet?
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com