Drumgizmo velocity issues

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

jmpr
Established Member

Drumgizmo velocity issues

Post by jmpr »

Has anyone else had issues with drumgizmo velocity layers? If I play a low velocity hit, drumgizmo still plays a relatively loud hit. The velocities do change with soft and harder hits, but the dynamic range is VERY narrow, and it's impossible to get a soft hit to play as a low volume sample. Anyone else have this issue or am I doing something wrong? I am using DRSKit in Ardour 4.7.
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Re: Drumgizmo velocity issues

Post by AlexTheBassist »

Yes, we do. It's very difficult to get wide dynamics with MuldjordKit also, both 1 and 2 versions.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
jmpr
Established Member

Post by jmpr »

AlexTheBassist wrote:Yes, we do. It's very difficult to get wide dynamics with MuldjordKit also, both 1 and 2 versions.
Does anyone know if this is a problem with how the kits are sampled or is it a problem with Drumgizmo itself? Everything else works perfectly with Drumgizmo and I think it's a very well thought out program. It's a shame that i'm having this problem cause it's the only thing holding me back from using it, but it's a big issue.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

jmpr wrote:
AlexTheBassist wrote:Yes, we do. It's very difficult to get wide dynamics with MuldjordKit also, both 1 and 2 versions.
Does anyone know if this is a problem with how the kits are sampled or is it a problem with Drumgizmo itself? Everything else works perfectly with Drumgizmo and I think it's a very well thought out program. It's a shame that i'm having this problem cause it's the only thing holding me back from using it, but it's a big issue.
check with them at their IRC location.. when they launched version 0.9.9, I found a bug, reported it and they got on it quickly leading to version .0.9.10.
I too have noticed a velocity issue and also DG only works well with Ardour. in Qtractor and Muse, the kick would be on one side and the snare on the other as an example..

join the #drumgizmo channel at freenode.net. I will mention it too.
chaot4
Established Member

Post by chaot4 »

Hey guys,

I'm one of the DG devs. I read the post of funkmuscle on IRC. Generally, if you find bugs, the fastest way to get them fixed is to join us on IRC or write us an email with a detailed description.

Two questions:

* Were the problems regarding a narrow dynamics range introduced with an update or has it always been like that for you?
* Could you upload a short sound file where you use the full dynamic range of the kit? This is just to be sure that we are on the same page. Because at the moment I'm not completely sure it's a bug or the drumkit samples.

Regarding the Ardour/Qtractor/Muse issue: This is most probably an issue with the default routing of the DAWs/Trackers. DrumGizmo has 16(!) audio outputs. Therefore, the routing of the DrumGizmo outputs is not at all straight forward for a DAW. For Ardour it is perfectly described in the LMP article:

http://libremusicproduction.com/tutoria ... zmo-ardour

Unfortunately there are no articles for Qtractor and Muse and I'm not really familiar with both of them. If anyone wants to write a tutorial to work with DrumGizmo in one of those we would greatly appreciate it. We are also considering ourselves to write one but of course that costs time and we also need time to develop DG further.

I hope I could help. If you got any further questions join us on IRC or just ask here. I'll try to check back soon. ;)

Cheers,
chaot4
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

chaot4 wrote:Hey guys,

I'm one of the DG devs. I read the post of funkmuscle on IRC. Generally, if you find bugs, the fastest way to get them fixed is to join us on IRC or write us an email with a detailed description.

Two questions:

* Were the problems regarding a narrow dynamics range introduced with an update or has it always been like that for you?
* Could you upload a short sound file where you use the full dynamic range of the kit? This is just to be sure that we are on the same page. Because at the moment I'm not completely sure it's a bug or the drumkit samples.

Regarding the Ardour/Qtractor/Muse issue: This is most probably an issue with the default routing of the DAWs/Trackers. DrumGizmo has 16(!) audio outputs. Therefore, the routing of the DrumGizmo outputs is not at all straight forward for a DAW. For Ardour it is perfectly described in the LMP article:

http://libremusicproduction.com/tutoria ... zmo-ardour

Unfortunately there are no articles for Qtractor and Muse and I'm not really familiar with both of them. If anyone wants to write a tutorial to work with DrumGizmo in one of those we would greatly appreciate it. We are also considering ourselves to write one but of course that costs time and we also need time to develop DG further.

I hope I could help. If you got any further questions join us on IRC or just ask here. I'll try to check back soon. ;)

Cheers,
chaot4
how do I upload a sample here? never done that before.. do I need to use soundcloud or something like that just for a few secs of the sample?
chaot4
Established Member

Post by chaot4 »

Ehm, I actually have no idea if that is possible. You could upload it at some free file hoster or just send me an email. I suppose that you're having the same issue as the others, so probably the file wouldn't have to be publicly available for others to follow the topic.

I sent you a PM with my email address.
chaot4
Established Member

Post by chaot4 »

Oh, I cannot send PMs.

Then just send it to the email address of the main dev: deva@aasimon.org
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

funkmuscle wrote:
how do I upload a sample here? never done that before.. do I need to use soundcloud or something like that just for a few secs of the sample?
see viewtopic.php?p=70043#p70043
you have to have the file uploaded/hosted somewhere else (just like pictures) but you can put an html player to it.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

ssj71 wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:
see viewtopic.php?p=70043#p70043
you have to have the file uploaded/hosted somewhere else (just like pictures) but you can put an html player to it.
thanx.. will try the next time an audio example is needed.
chaot4
Established Member

Post by chaot4 »

Funkmuscle was so nice to do a little online debugging in the #drumgizmo IRC channel and things improved for him. Unfortunately I'm not completely sure if I get the details right -- @funkmuscle, could you explain in here what fixed it for you? That would be great! :)
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

chaot4 wrote:Funkmuscle was so nice to do a little online debugging in the #drumgizmo IRC channel and things improved for him. Unfortunately I'm not completely sure if I get the details right -- @funkmuscle, could you explain in here what fixed it for you? That would be great! :)
was a pleasure to help out! Turns out to be the settings of the humanizer.. That needed some playing around with depending on what you're doing.. For instance, the example I sent was a drum roll going from hard to soft then hard velocities.
I had to adjust the Attack to about 50 to hear all the velocities.. Sometimes even turning off the humanizer then enabling it again would help.
Like Hydrogen, you need to play with the humanizer and the controllers or disable it completely. I like the human touch so I use it.. Works great now!
Hopefully that explained things. I'm usually not great with words when I explaining sorry. :mrgreen:
chaot4
Established Member

Post by chaot4 »

Perfect, thank you. :)

The "have you tried turning it off and on again" bit sounds a little weird though. I'll try to reproduce this -- because it sounds a lot like a bug to me.

Would be great if the others could report if adjusting "Attack" or playing with the humanizer improves things.
jmpr
Established Member

Post by jmpr »

chaot4 wrote:Perfect, thank you. :)

The "have you tried turning it off and on again" bit sounds a little weird though. I'll try to reproduce this -- because it sounds a lot like a bug to me.

Would be great if the others could report if adjusting "Attack" or playing with the humanizer improves things.
Sorry for the delayed response. I will try tweaking the attack next time i get the chance to sit down with Drumgizmo. I have been busy lately but will post any findings when I get the chance, probably sometime after the weekend. If the problem persists after tweaking controls, I will post links to audio clips, and anything else relevant. Hope to get to the root of the issue.
chaot4
Established Member

Post by chaot4 »

@jmpr: Great! I'm looking forward to your results.

@funkmuscle: There is a new video on libremusicproduction where it is shown how to route DG in Muse. He uses Carla for that. It is also rather quick&dirty as he does the final mix in Ardour and does it "right" there. Still, I thought it might help you: https://youtu.be/PFOUnyH3irU?t=14m46s