Noob requiring help. mint 17.3 guitarix/jack

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

fullerideas

Noob requiring help. mint 17.3 guitarix/jack

Post by fullerideas »

All i want is to plug my guitar into my m-audio m-track and hear my guitar come out my pc speakers. i can't code or understand any command line instructions. yep maybe i shouldnt have got linux but im stuck with it now and i need some help before everything in the world gets smashed as im turning into the hulk.... :mrgreen:

first thing i get when i turn on guitarix is system init *** failed to lock memory: Cannot allocate memory
i have read some information on this but i dont quite understand it. and i dont want to copy paste some commands if i dont know how to reverse the effects.
essentially reading i have to turn off pulseaudio or combine it through jack audio. neither of which i understand really.

i think i have jack setup ok, a lot of information ive seen is quite old i did manage to get guitarix to hear sound from my guitar but i couldnt get that sound to go into my speakers.

i did try to link a picture from gimp showing my jack connection links but it says its too large. if i crop it and save it doesnt like the file type.

as you can see i don't even know what information to put up so that people could help. so ill give it a week see if someone can help me 1 step at a time otherwise i think ill head to shop buy a real amp and a sledgehammer and give in to my green side.....
apathity
Established Member

Re: Noob requiring help. mint 17.3 guitarix/jack

Post by apathity »

Have you tried this step by step guide: http://libremusicproduction.com/
tnovelli
Established Member

Post by tnovelli »

First off, add the KXStudio repository... https://launchpad.net/~kxstudio-debian/ ... o1_all.deb

Then install and run Cadence. From there you can tweak the JACK settings, start JACK, and bridge Pulse thru JACK (that actually works these days). You can try using your m-track for input & builtin audio for output... if that doesn't work maybe you can plug your PC speakers into the m-track's output. Then you probably need to fiddle with things to reduce latency.

PNG or JPG are good formats for screenshots...

I use a real amp btw. :lol:
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

fullerideas wrote: im turning into the hulk.... :mrgreen:
Crushing a mouse occasionally can be stress management. :twisted: :lol: :twisted:
Relax, get some snacks and drinks, and search youtube for qjackctl,
a jackd connections gui, lots of good movies for you.
Visualizing all these weird names really helps!

And also youtubes of hydrogen, rakarrack, zynaddsufx, ubuntu studio, guitarix, as some of those
videos begin with setting up qjackctl. There are some good
synaptic videos to help with software installs, and also many other
topics of importance to linux users.

The links posted hold valuable time tested text to paste in various configs. If cautious,
make copies of a file, with Good as part of the name: audio.conf-good .jackdrc-good etc

If you get a chance, and about $60, a used Fender Mustang 1 usb guitar amp/interface
is really simple to connect, and sounds great. A debian app called 'plug' can be used
to edit, create, store, and save presets, 24 of which are accessed by
a single dial. Welcome to the happy forum!
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

fullerideas wrote:All i want is to plug my guitar into my m-audio m-track and hear my guitar come out my pc speakers. i can't code or understand any command line instructions. yep maybe i shouldnt have got linux but im stuck with it now and i need some help before everything in the world gets smashed as im turning into the hulk.... :mrgreen:

first thing i get when i turn on guitarix is system init *** failed to lock memory: Cannot allocate memory
If you want to learn how to understand what you are doing and how it works, read the wiki pages here.

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/system_configuration
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
tnovelli
Established Member

Post by tnovelli »

OMG, too much information, and it doesn't even mention that you can just install Mint or Ubuntu, add the KXStudio repository, and simply install a -lowlatency kernel.

I suspect Mint/Ubuntu comes with a buggy version of Guitarix. If so, re-installing it from KXStudio will solve that problem.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

tnovelli wrote:OMG, too much information, and it doesn't even mention that you can just install Mint or Ubuntu, add the KXStudio repository, and simply install a -lowlatency kernel.

I suspect Mint/Ubuntu comes with an older version of Guitarix. If so, installing the shiny new one in KXStudio will solve that problem.
(minor textual repairs, no extra charge :wink: )