Milk Shake - Backing Track for bass or guitar

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

apathity
Established Member

Milk Shake - Backing Track for bass or guitar

Post by apathity »

This was fun to make so I think I will do more of those soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h9eV15PhBo

All made with Guitarix and Hydrogen.
English Guy
Established Member

Re: Milk Shake - Backing Track for bass or guitar

Post by English Guy »

Thanks, you post them I'll play over them :)
apathity
Established Member

Post by apathity »

Hey man, do you need the track as a download? wav/mp3? I'll upload it soon somewhere. You could also post your solo over the track somewhere.

I think it's so much fun to jam to something like this! I know there's a ton of backing tracks sites but creating your own with Guitarix is so cool! My own improvisation skills are not that good so I don't even post my solo on the net, nobbody would want to hear it ...
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

Thanks, when I've time I'll give it a go.
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

Your guitars are about 6dB quieter than your drums. I found out by using a Calf Limiter in Harrison Mixbus. By squashing down 5 to 6 decibels of peaks, your song sounds a lot more balanced and makes the drums sound more inline with the guitars. Also, try to bring out some more air in the cymbals and hi-hats. Now, I'm not saying that you should succumb your song to loudness wars by using a limiter and squashing 6dB of peaks (that is a wrong way of how I accomplish such a workaround), but what I'm saying is to bring up your guitars inline with the drums.

Your song seems to establish a hook the whole time despite lack of direction. In other words: boring due to lack of arrangement. Try to vary the hook. Try to have your low parts of your song played with only a kick and a slight tap of a hi-hat. Even softer. Try to build a bridge that compliments with a hook with a big splash of a cymbal. You don't have to do something drastic to your song if you want to keep it flowing, but a little bit of it helps.

It's only my suggestion, but other than that, your song seems to have a laid-back feel to it. My other suggestion is to reference some other tracks that sound similar to yours and start from there. Particularly some up-beat country music that you might have in your music library. Be sure to turn down the reference track to match your song's volume so you are not fooled by the loudness.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Downloaded!

Like it very much, as it leaves enough room to soloing over it.
Many thanks Sebastian
On the road again.
apathity
Established Member

Post by apathity »

GraysonPeddie wrote:Your guitars are about 6dB quieter than your drums. I found out by using a Calf Limiter in Harrison Mixbus. By squashing down 5 to 6 decibels of peaks, your song sounds a lot more balanced and makes the drums sound more inline with the guitars. Also, try to bring out some more air in the cymbals and hi-hats. Now, I'm not saying that you should succumb your song to loudness wars by using a limiter and squashing 6dB of peaks (that is a wrong way of how I accomplish such a workaround), but what I'm saying is to bring up your guitars inline with the drums.

Your song seems to establish a hook the whole time despite lack of direction. In other words: boring due to lack of arrangement. Try to vary the hook. Try to have your low parts of your song played with only a kick and a slight tap of a hi-hat. Even softer. Try to build a bridge that compliments with a hook with a big splash of a cymbal. You don't have to do something drastic to your song if you want to keep it flowing, but a little bit of it helps.

It's only my suggestion, but other than that, your song seems to have a laid-back feel to it. My other suggestion is to reference some other tracks that sound similar to yours and start from there. Particularly some up-beat country music that you might have in your music library. Be sure to turn down the reference track to match your song's volume so you are not fooled by the loudness.
Thanks, I will look into it! On my studio monitors it works well with the drums being louder than the guitars. The track is used primarily for a guitar student of mine to do some soloing over it, that's why it sounds so repetitive and I guess that's also why I made the guitars a bit quieter than the drums so they won't get in his way too much when he does the soloing stuff.
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

Folks, do remember when evaluating this it is not a finished composition, it is a backing track to be played over, preferably with loud guitars, entirely different criteria to a finished track.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Cool idea, might be fun to have people take this and write some lyrics using 'Milk Shake' as a title and add their solos (the more different solo instruments the better) and post them...
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

GMaq wrote:Hi,

Cool idea, might be fun to have people take this and write some lyrics using 'Milk Shake' as a title and add their solos (the more different solo instruments the better) and post them...
sounds like potential for our next tunestorm in the Open Source Musician Podcast...

What would you think of that apathity?
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
apathity
Established Member

Post by apathity »

Hey man, sounds like a cool idea! Where do I have to sign up and what do I have to do, can you tell me more about it? I'm incredibly busy right now, also have to find some free time to record my entry for the JTC Jam of the Month.

For starters I could upload the drums and individual guitar tracks of this Milk Shake song, maybe we can find some people making a better drum track for it?
apathity
Established Member

Post by apathity »

I'm back one more time with some stuff:

The following 166MB archive contains all the source files to the Milk Shake song. There's an Audacity project with the guitar tracks in it, a Guitarix preset file, a Hydrogen drum track file, the Milk shake picture (public domain from pixabay), an OpenShot video project file used for my YouTube video, ...

http://www.sebastianposch.at/download/b ... 016.tar.gz

A not so little problem: There's some clicks going on in the guitar tracks. Not sure what we do with this. Sorry for that! All guitars have been properly tuned in E Standard tuning. Also unfortunately there's no DI tracks of the guitars... Could use some real bass guitar, too. And a rock'n'roll piano thingy? :) Whatever!

So basically I'm way too busy in February! Maybe just use all this material for whatever you want and report back to this thread and if you like also include a link to my YouTube channel or website http://www.sebastianposch.at

You could also record your solo over the track and put it up on YouTube using the same picture etc.
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

well, for the podcast we'd announce a new tunestorm in this month's episode and provide everyone the link and encourage them to make an original tune played over that track. We'll allow them to remix it with the source files you provided if they want. Entries would be due sometime in early April and then we'd make another episode playing all the songs people generated for it. Even if you didn't have time to enter we could do this, but of course the more that participate the merrier!
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
apathity
Established Member

Post by apathity »

Ok great! I'll keep the download link active