will there be a 16-output carla-vst?

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

eric71
Established Member

will there be a 16-output carla-vst?

Post by eric71 »

A quick question regarding Carla development - I've used the 16 output version of Carla as an lv2, but I'm currently using Tracktion, so I have no lv2 support (except through carla). I'm just wondering if a 16 output vst version of Carla may be on the way, and if so when? Would be great to bring full multichannel output for lv2 plugins like drumgizmo to us Tracktion, Bitwig, Renoise users drifting in an lv2-less wasteland.
eric71
Established Member

Re: will there be a 16-output carla-vst?

Post by eric71 »

I suppose I'm mainly thinking of drumgizmo, which I suppose counts as a synth. I use Tracktion mostly, and I'm not sure it really matters as I'd be using a multi-out carla in one of their racks to make it really useful in Tracktion, so I would just be connecting audio outputs from carla to the audio outputs of the rack (a patchbay in a patchbay, sounds complicated :P ) and I'm not sure if synth vs effect outputs matter there. But Tracktion rack workflow is one thing, and probably more people are using Bitwig, and I have no idea what would work there. 16 channels would be enough for drumgizmo, and probably anything else I would use. Thanks!
eric71
Established Member

Post by eric71 »

Hi FalkTX. Thanks so much for this! I just updated carla-vst (now using MX15 (Jessie based) with KXStudio repos and the MX15 community repo Jessie port of the latest Liquorix 4.4 kernel) and tested it with Tracktion 6.3. It scanned and showed up in my list of available plugins. The first time I loaded it on a track, Tracktion crashed. I re-opened Tracktion and tried again, and it loaded without issue showing 16 inputs and 16 outputs (also one midi in and out). I was able to load Drumgizmo in it and connected Drumgizmo's 13 outputs to Carla's first 13 outputs.

Tracktion only has two outputs per track, and thus multioutput workflow in Tracktion depends on using their rack plugins which can then be cloned on multiple tracks, using different outputs on each. I was able to wrap Carla Patchbay16 in a Tracktion Rack and get output of its various outputs to different tracks (once I realized I also needed to connect the midi through the rack as well).

So in short (or maybe long, as I can get rather long winded) - it is working well and opens up many new possibilities with lv2 plugins in Tracktion.
CarlaPatchbay16 vst
CarlaPatchbay16 vst
Screenshot.jpg (207.35 KiB) Viewed 883 times
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

eric71 wrote:I suppose I'm mainly thinking of drumgizmo, which I suppose counts as a synth. I use Tracktion mostly, and I'm not sure it really matters as I'd be using a multi-out carla in one of their racks to make it really useful in Tracktion, so I would just be connecting audio outputs from carla to the audio outputs of the rack (a patchbay in a patchbay, sounds complicated :P ) and I'm not sure if synth vs effect outputs matter there. But Tracktion rack workflow is one thing, and probably more people are using Bitwig, and I have no idea what would work there. 16 channels would be enough for drumgizmo, and probably anything else I would use. Thanks!
The Drumgizmo vst (0.9.11) had interface problems with Tracktion and other JUCE based hosts (Helio Workstation etc) because of a JUCE bug and the vst wouldn't work with Tracktion.

The Drumgizmo vst has just been patched to work around the bug and so the vst works in Traction (v5 v6 v7 tested) and other JUCE based hosts .

Also for anyone wondering about Tracktion and multi outs (drum vst's etc) there is a Tracktion rack multi out drum video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub96w8dzlGQ
eric71
Established Member

Post by eric71 »

Thanks for the info - I was disappointed when I couldn't get the vst to work in Tracktion 7. Time to look into that again :)
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

eric71 wrote:Thanks for the info - I was disappointed when I couldn't get the vst to work in Tracktion 7. Time to look into that again :)
The Drumgizmo vst used to just sit there in Tracktion and do nothing because the browse buttons wouldn't work, but it's ok now.

The changes are in the latest Drumgizmo git source.