Sunstorm - original Rock/Metal song made with Guitarix

Show off original scores and recordings made with Linux!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

apathity
Established Member

Sunstorm - original Rock/Metal song made with Guitarix

Post by apathity »

Sunstorm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHXLftmjBow

This is I think my most professional home recording so far. It should be seen as a teaser for my upcoming stuff. The song was recorded on Ubuntu with plain old Audacity and was professionally mixed by Norbert Leitner in Vienna. For the bass guitar track we actually used my guitar and made it sound like a bass. I like how the guitarix preset I made sounds kinda "scratchy" panned sharp left and right, and good gain for the leads, but at the same time there was enough low end in the preset to support this style of music. What do you think?

The picture is a original painting by my girlfriend. I used OpenShot on Ubuntu Studio to do this simple video and it worked well.

Hope you enjoy listening to the track!
funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: Sunstorm - original Rock/Metal song made with Guitarix

Post by funkmuscle »

Me likes! Nice work!
apathity
Established Member

Post by apathity »

Thank you sir!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Great guitar sounds once again! You really utilize Guitarix well. I like the arrangement and the 'fake bass' actually works! You have a great solid rhythmic style and you pick very complimentary voicings in the various parts that keep it interesting to listen to. I'm admittedly not a metal guru at all and I realize metal drums don't sound like drums in other genres but I'd still like to hear more edge on the snare to give it definition, in fact the whole drumkit could use a bit more 'sparkle' but the snare should be poking through and would further tighten up the mix if it were better defined.

Just an opinion from a general listener, all the best on completing your album project, I'll look forward to hearing it :)
apathity
Established Member

Post by apathity »

Thanks man, I'm really glad you like it even though you're not into metal that much!

To be honest my ears are not well trained for mixing yet. It's great to have all these tools around on Linux to learn mixing but my time won't allow it. I mean I have very good ears when it comes to transcribing songs and figuring out stuff on the guitar all by ear, but when it comes to mixing metal stuff like this I always have to use simple layman terms to describe what I want the sound to be, and then hand it off to another guy.

Panning guitars left and right (and maybe another track in the centre) is what I do for all things I record, even if it's just little exercises or demos, this is really a requirement for rock/metal. Also the song is in C tuning so that seems to give a little extra low end in the guitars. And a lot of the sound is in the fingers and playing.

So in this case I only know I'm very happy with the overall sound (and the session drummer is very happy as well) but you are definetly right about the snare, it could use some little extra punch or whatever you wanna call it.

Thanks!