No Audio After Using Jack - SOLVED

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Zirbert
Established Member

No Audio After Using Jack - SOLVED

Post by Zirbert »

Hi,

Longtime lurker, first-time question-poster. :-)

I suspect / hope I'm missing something really newbish.

I'm running Ubuntu Studio 12.04. My normal audio usually works fine. I can watch YouTube videos in Firefox, play videos or music in VLC, etc., without difficulties.

However, if I start the JACK server, either by running QjackCtl or by starting an application that autostarts it, I can't get regular, non-JACK audio back afterward. Stopping and quitting the JACK server, logging out and back in, and ending and restarting my session don't work. The only way I can get "regular" audio back after using JACK is to restart the computer.

How do I get JACK to relinquish control of my system audio when I'm done with it?
Last edited by Zirbert on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zirbert
Established Member

Re: No Audio After Using Jack

Post by Zirbert »

Solved, thanks!

My non-JACK apps use Pulseaudio (I had no idea until I started digging, at falkTX's suggestion), which JACK was stopping. Starting Pulseaudio back up from the command line ($ pulseaudio --start) after I'm done with JACK gets it going again.

I was/am heistant to enable the dbus option in JACK, because disabling it was the only was to get my USB guitar cable to work in Ubuntu Studio. Since the manual restart of Pulseaudio works, there's no need for me to go down that road.
YDV
Established Member

Re: No Audio After Using Jack - SOLVED

Post by YDV »

I have the same problem but the solution written didn't work for me.
After closing jack i started up pulseaudio via the terminal typing 'pulseaudio --start'
The answer was 'N: [pulseaudio] main.c: User-configured server at {fc8552db1451a8f2db420c6d520e835e}unix:/run/user/yuval/pulse/native, which appears to be local. Probing deeper'
And i still don't have any audio back on my pc.
Any thoughts?
mgumiero9

Post by mgumiero9 »

In my case I just kill the process: jackd

Everything was fine then.
nigeldodd
Established Member

Post by nigeldodd »

I don't consider this problem solved, really. We should be able to listen to instructional youtube tutorials on a browser while still having music components connected through Jack. Surely there are some connections in Jack that should allow a browser audio to function at the same time?
Jack Winter
Established Member

Post by Jack Winter »

nigeldodd wrote:I don't consider this problem solved, really. We should be able to listen to instructional youtube tutorials on a browser while still having music components connected through Jack. Surely there are some connections in Jack that should allow a browser audio to function at the same time?
Browsers generally don't support jack, so the way to do it now days is to run pulseaudio for the browser, and then connect the output of pulse to jack. Ought to be more or less automatic with jack2 (if the distro has done it's work well). For jack1 you might have to run "pacmd load-module module-jack-sink channels=2" manually to bring up the bridge. Also check mixer settings with pavucontrol to see that playback goes to the right output and that volume faders are set ok.
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
inade

Post by inade »

Qjackctl->Setup->Options
Put this in the field "Execute script AFTER startup":

Code: Select all

pactl set-default-sink jack_out 
Now you should have normal system sound (browser etc) all the time.
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

nigeldodd wrote:I don't consider this problem solved, really. We should be able to listen to instructional youtube tutorials on a browser while still having music components connected through Jack. Surely there are some connections in Jack that should allow a browser audio to function at the same time?
There are multiple ways of solving the problem.

- You can run pulseaudio through jack which is a popular but imo not very satisfactory solution.
- You can create alsa loopback devices and run browser sound through jack with an Alsa compatible browser (Pale Moon, perhaps Chrome?). This is the best solution imo but too complicated for the average user to understand and implement without hand holding.
- You can compile Firefox to use jack.

etc etc etc
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio