Akai Professional EIE....

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

59Panhead
Established Member

Akai Professional EIE....

Post by 59Panhead »

I'm hoping that this is the correct place for this discussion. I have this Akai interface that I picked up awhile back, at a very reasonable price. Haven't tried it out, yet. But now that I'm spending more time in Linux (Fedora 23), I'm wanting to try it out for the first time in this operating system. Here is a link to the only information that I've found. And, really don't know how to implement it:

https://github.com/mmm444/eie-pro-linux

I would appreciate help with installing and setting this up. I'm a novice in Linux. Thanks. Have a good one.

Jack
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Akai Professional EIE....

Post by glowrak guy »

Welcome to the forum! ...a Win-10 free zone

http://libremusicproduction.com/

Probably look at the first article, and study the third article about jackd,
it will detail making the audio i/o connections between hardware and software.

You might want to use amsynth in your tests, as it is available
in most linux package managers as standalone, linux-vst, and lv2 and dssi plugin formats.
Once it is installed, you can start it by name in a terminal,
probably a good first step, avoiding the linux-daw related learning curves for the moment,
until you get some sounds flowing, Mention your computer and OS details as you go
to help the forum members zero-in on possible options/solutions.
Cheers
GuntherT
Established Member

Post by GuntherT »

I don't think the device you have is compatible with Linux. The link you provided is an experimental driver, but it states on the site that it is not ready for use. The last commit was over a year ago, so odds are the project has been abandoned. It's a shame Akai didn't use class compliant drivers for the Pro model (silver). They did for the regular EIE (red). If you come across a means to make it work, report back and let us know what you did.
59Panhead
Established Member

Post by 59Panhead »

glowrak guy wrote:Welcome to the forum! ...a Win-10 free zone

http://libremusicproduction.com/

Probably look at the first article, and study the third article about jackd,
it will detail making the audio i/o connections between hardware and software.

You might want to use amsynth in your tests, as it is available
in most linux package managers as standalone, linux-vst, and lv2 and dssi plugin formats.
Once it is installed, you can start it by name in a terminal,
probably a good first step, avoiding the linux-daw related learning curves for the moment,
until you get some sounds flowing, Mention your computer and OS details as you go
to help the forum members zero-in on possible options/solutions.
Cheers
Thank you for the link. I will head there today.

The machine that I'm using is a scratch-built one, Intel I7 CPU, 32 Gig RAM, Fedora 23. I probably should have not upgraded from 22 as soon as I did. Some things I'm finding are not ready for this version. But, as I'm getting my feet wet again in Linux, I stayed with the only one that I've used.

Jack
59Panhead
Established Member

Post by 59Panhead »

GuntherT wrote:I don't think the device you have is compatible with Linux. The link you provided is an experimental driver, but it states on the site that it is not ready for use. The last commit was over a year ago, so odds are the project has been abandoned. It's a shame Akai didn't use class compliant drivers for the Pro model (silver). They did for the regular EIE (red). If you come across a means to make it work, report back and let us know what you did.
I was unaware of the Red and Silver models. So, a search produced this review:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-re ... interfaces

I took a quick look and it states on the box that it's an EIE Professional. However, mine is the 16-bit Red version. That doesn't bother me, as this is all an experiment, for now. After reading the article, I'm pleased with my choice for this project. I have been known to purchase equipment that I really don't like, just because of a review. In this case, I purchased, the review would have tended to steer me to the Silver. But, the ringing in my ears would probably prevent me from hearing the difference in quality of recording. Sometimes, headphones prove the difference. But, most of my listening is from speakers.

If this turns out to be a success, I tend not to venture too far from what works. This is all for my personal pleasure, anyway. And, I stick with what sometimes appear to be the underdog. Those can be sleepers.

Jack
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

If you don't succeed, you might consider selling or trading the interface.
www.kvraudio.com has an active marketplace forum, free to members.

You might also try the IEI with the Bitwig demo, as it uses basic java scripts to define
midi controllers, and there are several akai models scripted, and known to work.

This means downloading the debian bitwig, and using the alien command
to convert it to rpm. I have done his on a few versions, seemed to work OK.

#alien -r name-of-bitwig.deb
#rpm -i name-of-bitwig.rpm

And perhaps some dependencies, like portaudio, xcb/libxcb sundries, a full java install.
And #modprobe snd_virmidi will help expose the midi in your system to bitwig.

It installs to /opt with two content folders created in /home/you.
Cheers
GuntherT
Established Member

Post by GuntherT »

The red EIE interface is class compliant, so getting it to work is just a matter of installing and configuring Jack for the USB device. A basic tutorial on how to do this is available here:

http://libremusicproduction.com/article ... arted-jack

I would ignore the prior post about installing the Bitwig demo. The other poster seems to think you have a MIDI controller versus an audio interface. If that was the case, maybe it would be good advice, but before investing a lot of time trying to install the demo version of a very expensive program, I would test things out with a fully featured free program such as Qtractor.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

The Akai EIE is an audio/midi interface, not a controller, and most people here have a midi keyboard of some sort,
connected to an interface of some sort.
Free software is great, but it is not expected that authors producing it
support complex audio-midi interfaces.

Bitwig is cross-platform, and is not difficult to install:

dpkg -i bitwigxyz.deb and follow up adding dependencies if needed.

There is also a lite version, Bitwig 8-Track. Even the pro version is a steal,
if you value your personal man-hours. I like Qtractor, and use it to good result.
But I have a simple and well supported audio-midi interface. I doubt Rui has an interest
in going crazy trying to support the hardware whims of Steinberg, MOTU, Avid, and Akai.
59Panhead
Established Member

Post by 59Panhead »

glowrak guy wrote:If you don't succeed, you might consider selling or trading the interface.
I won't rule that out. I have a tendency to obsess over problems, 'til I find a solution. In this case, I'm too much of a Linux novice to do it all. So, I depend on the people who know. I really didn't buy for use with Linux, and the price was really good. Now, I'm infatuated with Fedora, and want everything to work. I know that that's not the case. So, I moving slow, and accepting what does and what doesn't.

But, assuming that I have to take this route, what would be a comparable Linxu-proven piece of equipment? I'll take a look, and earmark it for the future. Thanks a lot for all help. Have a good one.

Jack
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 is a usb interface that almost always
'just works'. Excellent sound quality, and durable. If you have a desktop, the mAudio Delta series
pci soundcards are also nearly bulletproof. Many people use various Focus-Rite interfaces.
I have an mAudio 24/96 pci, and one of their cheap usb devices, both work fine,
supported by the kernel module snd_ice1712

The command lsmod shows the kernel modules loaded in your system,
and their shared usage of one another. lsmod is typical linux shorthand, in this case,
short for 'list modules'.
Lots of fun shorthand in your future. Power will come with knowledge!

modprobe snd_ice1712

would add that module in, if it was not loaded.
Cheers
59Panhead
Established Member

Post by 59Panhead »

Update: 09Jan16

Cleared a small bench out in my shop, and set up my equipment. The computer out here has a mini-itx motherboard with an Intel i5 processor, and 8G of RAM. Hard drive is a 250G Samsung SSD. Fedora 22 Workstation 64bit is installed.

As this machine will start out as a means to record vintage tube amplifiers, I have one of my nicer model tube amps on the bench. It's a Flot-A-Tone Model 600. I haven't checked the potentiometer or speaker codes, so I haven't dated it yet. It appears to be late 50's to early 60's, and is in practically new condition. Anyway, it's to be the test amp for the first time out with the EIE.

I have an MXL R-159 Ribbon Microphone for use with the EIE. However, an oversight on my part, I neglected to get a female XLR to male phone cable. My cable is 3-pin XLR on both ends (male to female). So, adapters are on the way. I purchased a short 1.5 ft. cable, but also a female XLR to male phone adapter for my existing cable. So, testing with the mic will have to wait until next week.

However, I connected the EIE to the computer, entered the Fedora Setup, and opened the Sound setup option. There it was. EIE Multichannel was one of my selections for my sound output, and the only choice for sound input. No speakers of any kind attached, yet. Will do so next week.

Started up JACK Audio Connection Kit and set the input and output devices to EIE usb. Initiated a Start, and it did so.

So now, I feel that I may be able to interface with the EIE. That does remain to be seen. More to come. Have a good one.

Jack
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

There's a pic of a Mesa amp in a homebuilt isolation box at the link,
and related discussion. Such a mini-booth might be a good way to maximise your new gear.
Cheers

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end ... booth.html
59Panhead
Established Member

Post by 59Panhead »

Thanks for the link. I'll go back and pick that thread apart. Had not considered an isolation box. I may have to resort to padding a closet, as I have too many amps of varied sizes. Some are rather large. But, now I'm on a parallel track with this. I'll post my progress on both, now. Thanks again. Have a good one.

Jack
59Panhead
Established Member

Post by 59Panhead »

I have other questions about my EIE. Because I'm only use to vintage equipment, the I/O on this interface is a bit confusing. On the front, there are 4 combination XLR - 1/4" TRS inputs. As I haven't found a schematic (only the quick-start manual), I don't know how these connections are configured. I'm assuming that a typical 1/4" Tip/Ring/Sleeve stereo-type plug will works. But, what type of XLR connector would fit this jack? It appears t be some type of bayonet connector.

Also, on the back are 4 'inserts'. Is this a TRS that acts like an effects loop send and return? If so, how are they used? Thanks for any information. Have a good one.

Jack
59Panhead
Established Member

Post by 59Panhead »

I feel a bit foolish. Talking to a friend who does all his studio work in a Windows environment, he grinned at me when I posed the question(s) to him. He simply stated 'plug your male XLR connector into the jack'. At first, I didn't think that he was talking about my input jack. Then, it came to me. I was trying to make this jack something that it wasn't. He reminded me that the key word was combo. And, that a standard 3-pin XLR male plug would connect to it, as well as a stereo or mono 1/4" phone plug.

So, I'm off to the shop, just as soon as I get home this afternoon. Hopefully, I'll try out some simple recordings, to prove everything works. Then, maybe tomorrow, do a bit more. Sometimes the obvious is not so obvious to me. More to come. Have a good one.

Jack