Play a midi file with hydrogen as synth

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

studio32

Play a midi file with hydrogen as synth

Post by studio32 »

Hi,

I know you can use Rosegarden to use Hydrogen as synth. I want to play a midi file and use hydrogen as synth...

Is it also possible with a less heavy app? with seq24 and/or Kmid for example?
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

you could use qtractor, it's quite OK. Or Muse maybe ?
studio32

Post by studio32 »

thorgal wrote:you could use qtractor, it's quite OK. Or Muse maybe ?
I don't get it right... I don't get it about the connections and midi... Have to learn more about it...

If you can get it and have the connections... show me please...
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

I'll post a snapshot of the ALSA-Midi tab in qjackctl. It's not very complicated for basic stuff :

an app or a hardware can send MIDI info to another app or hardware that can read it and produce whatever (sounds for example). In this case, you can use hydrogen as the output and qtractor as the input. So all you need to do is connect qtractor (or Muse or whatever sequencer spitting out some MIDI info) to the hydrogen MIDI-out. Hydrogen has no MIDI-in so it cannot spit out MIDI info to a sampler, it does all internally (that's what it was designed for). But some ppl were requesting using hydrogen as a sequencer to be used with another sampler, so you could program your patterns in HG and anpther sampler would play the sounds. It's not possible right now. And another thing : I don't think hydrogen drumkits respect the GM (general MIDI) mapping (same with Addictive Drums by the way), so if your sampler expects the GM mapping for drumkits, it may sound funny (kick instead of snare, etc). OK, I'll post a snapshot.

There you go, it's a rather large pic, you are warned ... :)
NO, they have reduced the size behind my back ... bast..rds!

one more time ...
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Ok thanks!

But rosegarden can do it...
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

you have to know what you want, in your 1st post, you ask for another app than rosegarden. So I thought you were looking for a lighter sequencer that can by sync'ed with hydrogen's outs.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Do you know a nice soundfont to play drums in a particular midi sequencer? I've some midi files with different drum styles... And now I want to record one in ardour....