Any Suse/Rosegarden/MOX8 tutors?

Talk about your MIDI interfaces, microphones, keyboards...

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

stratovarius
Established Member

Any Suse/Rosegarden/MOX8 tutors?

Post by stratovarius »

greets

looking for articulate tutor for emailed short task-oriented tutorials, reasonable price for capable Suse & Rosegarden familiar help

I use rosegarden, eventually will also get into Hydrogen and others but for now I just want to get going with the MOX8 and what I have already been using to create backing tracks (learning guitar).

music followedbyAT andthen trix[nospace]tar period & o + the rosegarden file-extension
The roses are melodies,
The petals notes,
Cast by The Magician's Selfless hands
To ring briefly
Then freely land
On the luckiest, few and ragged,
Children in the pilgrim audience.
Shadow_7
Established Member

Re: Any Suse/Rosegarden/MOX8 tutors?

Post by Shadow_7 »

I don't know if this is what you were looking for. But something I did this morning in debian under cwm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68dNginMNKY

Just the basics to get you started. A/V sync gets off as I try to use larger and larger apps on that old box. And various annoying cell phone handshakes because I failed to turn mine off.
stratovarius
Established Member

Post by stratovarius »

That's interesting but the command line bit is way over my head and no, it's not what I'm looking for. I did download it though and will look at it a few more times because it does uncover areas I'm not familiar with at all, like apparently launching an *.so file? I don't even know what an *.so file is, not that I really want to but now that I've noticed it... :-)

I'm a little in over my head right now as since I posted the question I also started building my own speaker cabinet and so I haven't even had time to unpack yet the M0X8 I just bought. What I had in mind was email tutorials (youtube is ok too as long as it brings bite-sized and specific operations to the fore) addressing specific tasks or topics at a time. For example...

how to connect, set up, and use this synth within and without rosegarden to create midi segments

soundfont files like GeneralUser_GS_FluidSynth.sf2 of which I have about a dozen and manage to use some of them too to some extent in rosegarden but without having a freakin' clue as to what they are or what makes them tick

a lot of questions about using rosegarden

another lot about midi topics in general (mostly as used with a computer)

probably a good few about using the M0X8 itself (my first keyboard ever)

etc.
The roses are melodies,
The petals notes,
To ring briefly
Then freely land
Shadow_7
Established Member

Post by Shadow_7 »

After the ten minute mark I show some of the gui options, no CLI needed. Except that I was using cwm which doesn't have a menu to select things from, so I had to launch them from the CLI. And I mostly used the virtual keyboards for the eye candy. The MOX8 should appear like the virtual / software keyboard that I used and you only need to connect it in software to use it. For the gui option qjackctl (Jack Control in debians menu). Or aconnect on the CLI. Rosegarden lets you make that connection under Studio -> Manage MIDI Devices.

The A/V sync drift sucks, but it's an old 32 bit single core laptop that I made the recording on with 0.5G of RAM. And it performs way better than that when the screen capture isn't hogging 50% of the resources.
dazastah
Established Member

Post by dazastah »

The mox sequencer is actually very good on its own... You basically create patterns then arrange those patterns .. Via step editing or live ... I'm a mpc head and sequence and arrange in loops and I find the mox style of sequencing really powerful to use.The mox line for value for money is actually the best out there....

Motif bank with a pattern based sequencer .. Plus a audio midi interface built it..
I used to use kontakt but now prefer the rom sounds and tweaking them on the spot.. In normal voice mode you get full access to multi fx .. Then I sequence in reaper but playing it in live(using reaper as a tape recorder) so I just handle/arrange audio loops I have created..you could possibly do the same with rose garden but I never got around to getting the mox working with Linux and I kept working with reaper in osx .. I'd dabble with just the mox first then try and get it to work with rose garden after ...
stratovarius
Established Member

Post by stratovarius »

My apologies, I haven't been checking in here, must have missed some emails by the looks of things.

I have managed to lay down a one-finger rosegarden midi track from my Mox8 under Suse-13.2. For now that answered the most immediate uncertainty. I'm also taking not-too-frequent guitar and keyboard lessons. For the forseeable future my music work will revolve around creating my own backing tracks, guitar lead tracks, several video segments and then combining all of those into one video. I'm working with about 40 songs in all and it will be ready when it will be ready.

My most irritating issue is inadequate knowlege of basic computing and hardware related topics related to sound, this extends from computer audio ports to my Mackie800vlz3 mixer and and all things midi and everything they or my other manuals talk about. Here is some my hardware/software

- Mox8
- Me-80 (Boss)
- Mackie 802-vlz3
- Rosegarden
- qjackctl
- ZynAddSubFX the app + RG the plugins
- Vox NightTrain amp
- kdenlive
- all the other stuff I can't think of right now

For example in rosegarden I'd like to be a LOT more knowlegable but I can't spend nights looking up single topics especially since that takes away from my time available for music as such. So I suppose I could just field question on LinuxMusicians but I'm sure that memebers don't really wanna spend time explaining ABC's when so many more interesting discussions avail :)

This is why I'm prospecting for a tutor of sorts who is all around competent enough to coach me and has a PayPal account to get money on, something like the instant tech-suport on all sorts of other web sites.
The roses are melodies,
The petals notes,
To ring briefly
Then freely land