Shuriken Beat Slicer 0.4

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

motosega
Established Member

Re: Shuriken Beat Slicer 0.4

Post by motosega »

wow, the new gui is much better. clean, simple and intuitive.

what are your plans for envelopes? sounds interesting. are you planning on adding loop points to each slice? that would be really nice for chopping musical phrases.

i'm sure i asked about this before, but anyway: are you planning on some way of duplicating slices? i can't see how this would work without letting slices overlap. otherwise it would quickly loose the groove of the loop. is that going to be possible?
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

hey rockhopper, are you considering implementing timewarping into shuriken? i remember suggesting it a while ago i but haven't heard anything about it since. granted it's a bit different from beatslicing, but i can't help but be excited by the ui similarities...
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

motosega wrote:the new gui is much better. clean, simple and intuitive
Good to know things are going in the right direction :)
motosega wrote:what are your plans for envelopes?
For the moment just attack and release, but more comprehensive control will come later.
motosega wrote:are you planning on adding loop points to each slice? that would be really nice for chopping musical phrases.
I hadn't thought about that. At the moment if you enable looping and select "Audition" then each slice will loop when you click on it.
motosega wrote:are you planning on some way of duplicating slices? i can't see how this would work without letting slices overlap. otherwise it would quickly loose the groove of the loop. is that going to be possible?
It would be easy enough to allow users to copy and paste/insert slices between other slices. Overlapping slices would probably require separate tracks, which I wasn't planning on but wouldn't be out of the question.
tatch wrote:are you considering implementing timewarping into shuriken?
Yes. Currently it's half-implemented: you can stretch/squash whole audio slices but you can't stretch/squash sections of audio inside a slice. See "Selective Time Stretching" in the help doc for more info.
cianoc
Established Member

Post by cianoc »

Can't believe I've missed this. Nice job.
motosega
Established Member

Post by motosega »

RockHopper wrote:
motosega wrote:are you planning on adding loop points to each slice? that would be really nice for chopping musical phrases.
I hadn't thought about that. At the moment if you enable looping and select "Audition" then each slice will loop when you click on it.
recycle does this, it's intended to fill in the gaps when playing a loop at a slower tempo without timestretching.
sometimes it results in nice glitchyness, sometimes not.
RockHopper wrote:
motosega wrote:are you planning on some way of duplicating slices? i can't see how this would work without letting slices overlap. otherwise it would quickly loose the groove of the loop. is that going to be possible?
It would be easy enough to allow users to copy and paste/insert slices between other slices. Overlapping slices would probably require separate tracks, which I wasn't planning on but wouldn't be out of the question.
copy and paste slices would be nice if its easy to do.

overlaping slices would be cool but really its the domain of the sampler/sequencer where the files go when they get exported anyway. so i'd say don't bother unless you end up wanting multiple channels for some other reason.

on the usability front i have a little request:
i often find myself switching between select and audition a lot, it would be nice to have a keyboard shortcut to audition the currently selected slice only(ENTER?). or maybe to just play slices when they get selected.

also, having the option to force Dos friendly filenames for exported files would be handy. especially with all this futzing around with hardware samplers i'm doing.

shuriken is much easier to use than recycle for the sorts of things i like doing. recently i've been sampling records, chopping them up and removing the vocals in shuriken, exporting to a hardware sampler then splicing them back together with my sequencer. being able to shuffle the slices around is great. getting the samples in and out of the sampler is the boring part.
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

cianoc wrote:Can't believe I've missed this. Nice job.
motosega wrote:recycle does this, it's intended to fill in the gaps when playing a loop at a slower tempo without timestretching.
Interesting. No promises, but I'll look into it.
motosega wrote:i often find myself switching between select and audition a lot, it would be nice to have a keyboard shortcut to audition the currently selected slice only(ENTER?)
At the moment you can switch modes using keys 1, 2, and 3, though a key to audition selected slices might be nice too. Actually, I was thinking about making the 'Enter' key a shortcut for slice/unslice. Would 'a' be OK for audition?
motosega wrote:having the option to force Dos friendly filenames for exported files would be handy. especially with all this futzing around with hardware samplers i'm doing.
No probs. How are you getting on with transferring samples to the S1000 btw?
motosega wrote:recently i've been sampling records, chopping them up and removing the vocals in shuriken, exporting to a hardware sampler then splicing them back together with my sequencer.
It would be cool to hear some of your stuff :)
motosega
Established Member

Post by motosega »

RockHopper wrote:
motosega wrote:recycle does this, it's intended to fill in the gaps when playing a loop at a slower tempo without timestretching.
Interesting. No promises, but I'll look into it.
its not a priority, but its pretty cool.
motosega wrote:i often find myself switching between select and audition a lot, it would be nice to have a keyboard shortcut to audition the currently selected slice only(ENTER?)
At the moment you can switch modes using keys 1, 2, and 3, though a key to audition selected slices might be nice too. Actually, I was thinking about making the 'Enter' key a shortcut for slice/unslice. Would 'a' be OK for audition?
i didn't know about the keyboard shortcuts! thats great. "a" would be fine for "audition selected slice(s)"
other nice keyboard shortcut would be "Select Next/Prev Slice"(left, right arrows) and "Move Slice Marker +/-"(up down arrows)
motosega wrote:having the option to force Dos friendly filenames for exported files would be handy. especially with all this futzing around with hardware samplers i'm doing.
No probs. How are you getting on with transferring samples to the S1000 btw?
its a big pain, but i'm managing.

i've been messing around with zip drives that i got from the flea market where i go digging for records, but they are so damn unreliable.hopefully i'll be able to put together a couple of zip drives in a working setup. but i haven't found either a usb or an IDE/ATAPI zip drive yet.
i'm thinking of getting a scsi/sd card adapter.they cost about 80€ though so i'll try a few more 2€ zip drives and see if i get lucky.
i could burn the samples on a cd from linux then import them directly to the akai, but that's a CDR every time.i'll try CDRW disks but i suspect that my old scsi cdrom drive might not read them.

in the mean time i've either been using Recycle on an old win98 laptop and exporting via midi sample dump, or editing in Shuriken on my linux pc, then shuffling them over to the win98 laptop via usbkeys and dumping them via midi to the sampler.
its boring but it works.
this is giving me a great oportunity to compare Shuriken to Recycle 2.0, Shuriken is currently winning on all fronts apart from a few things like midi sample dump support and a couple of effects like the above mentioned loop points per sample. i'm not sure about newer versions of recycle but 2.0 dosen't even have the ability to reshuffle slices,

the workflow with the mpc500 and Shuriken is really nice though.
motosega wrote:recently i've been sampling records, chopping them up and removing the vocals in shuriken, exporting to a hardware sampler then splicing them back together with my sequencer.
It would be cool to hear some of your stuff :)
no finished tracks at the moment but i do have some nice beats i'll try to get around to sharing.
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

More updates pushed to GitHub:

Envelope attack and release implemented + "one shot" checkbox added. These settings are included when exporting a Hydrogen Drumkit, SFZ, or Akai .pgm file.

Keyboard shortcuts:
Return - slice
Q - select previous audio slice
A - audition selected audio slice
Z - select next audio slice

The reason for using Q and Z instead of the arrow keys is because the arrow keys are already used for scrolling the waveform when zoomed in.

Motosega, can you test that the envelope settings + "one shot" are working correctly for Akai export?
motosega
Established Member

Post by motosega »

yep! attack setting work on the akai mpc! good work. Do you actualy have an MPC or are you just folowing the specs really well?
good work!

release dosen't seem to be working yet, (in Shuriken, i havent tried it in the mpc since i cant hear the changes in shuriken)

what is one shot suposed to do? aren't the samples in the mpc program always set to one shot anyway?

the shortcuts are really great, when i stop using my mouse i work much faster, if you could add shortcuts to select and align the slice points that'd be fantastic.

i hate making promises(real life has a habit of getting in the way when least expected) but i could maybe make a screen capture of the workflow with the mpc, perhaps i should wait for a major version.
there really isn't a better workflow out there for the mpc500, i'm sure a lot of people could benefit, if they knew about it.
i do post info about new releases of shuriken on mpcforums, but i don't think there are a lot of people there who know how to compile stuff on linux, most of the replies i get are to the tone of "that looks cool, i know nothing about linux though" but i do get the ocasional "hmm, i should give that linux thing annother try"
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

motosega wrote:yep! attack setting work on the akai mpc!
Great :)
motosega wrote:Do you actualy have an MPC or are you just folowing the specs really well?
Just following the specs, maybe I'll actually get an MPC one day!
motosega wrote:release dosen't seem to be working yet ... what is one shot suposed to do?
You need to have a MIDI keyboard plugged in to try it (a virtual one like VMPK should work too). It's also best to make the audio slices a couple of seconds long so you can easily hear what's happening. With "one shot" enabled, when you press a key on the MIDI keyboard the assigned audio slice will play all the way to the end. When you disable "one shot", the release dial becomes available. Now when you press a key, the audio slice will stop playing when you release the key. If the release dial is turned down to 0, the sound will stop immediately. If the release dial is turned up, the sound fades out gradually.
motosega wrote:aren't the samples in the mpc program always set to one shot anyway?
Yes, that seems to be the default setting, though according to the specs you can switch "Play Mode" between "one shot" and "note on".
motosega wrote:if you could add shortcuts to select and align the slice points that'd be fantastic.
OK
motosega wrote:i could maybe make a screen capture of the workflow with the mpc, perhaps i should wait for a major version.
It would be really nice to have a demo video, though I'd like to add a couple of features and put out a release first.
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

Shuriken looks like an awesome utility, thank you very much.

Apologies for going off topic but I just wanted to mention regarding the Akai sampler that perhaps a SCSI CF (Compact Flash) card reader is a better solution than messing around with CD and ZIP drives. It is also trivial to dd sample cdrom images to small CF cards (1GB for example). I use one on an old Yamaha A4000 and it's much nicer than a noisy heat generating harddrive or having to struggle with legacy devices like zipdrives. If the Akai uses a FAT file system (I cannot remember) you can easily copy files to the card from a computer via a USB cardreader and just plug it into the SCSI CF Reader on the Akai.

Thanks again for Shuriken, it's something that I need to learn about once I get the time =)
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
motosega
Established Member

Post by motosega »

asbak wrote: Apologies for going off topic but I just wanted to mention regarding the Akai sampler that perhaps a SCSI CF (Compact Flash) card reader is a better solution than messing around with CD and ZIP drives.
you are completely right, yesterday i put my pile of broken zip drives in the trash.

scsi2sd seems to be the best (and cheapest)solution http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index. ... le=SCSI2SD
they guy who makes it is in australia so shipping is expensive, but i read on his website that he's shifting production and shipping to china, so it will work out cheaper when its back in stock.

lucky for you the yamaha A3000 reads wav files from dos formatted media, so you can just export as wav from shuriken to either a CF card or a regular pc floppy disk with a usb floppy drive. i'm jealous!

shuriken is really easy to use, give it a go! you'll be up and running in less than an hour!
Last edited by motosega on Mon May 04, 2015 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
motosega
Established Member

Post by motosega »

RockHopper wrote: Just following the specs, maybe I'll actually get an MPC one day!
*takes off hat* i'm impressed!
You need to have a MIDI keyboard plugged in to try it
ahh! i'll try that, it'd be nice to have a way of auditioning without a midi keyboard though. wouldn't it make sense to let the spacebar work like that?
it would be really nice to have a demo video, though I'd like to add a couple of features and put out a release first.
ok i'll wait for the next release.
motosega
Established Member

Post by motosega »

attack AND release work perfectly on the mpc500!
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »