Just found a new DAW on KVR

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Qualitymix
Established Member

Just found a new DAW on KVR

Post by Qualitymix »

called Musickernel. Looks pretty cool.
Runs blazing fast on my laptop too...

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/musiker ... musikernel
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Just found a new DAW on KVR

Post by sysrqer »

Wow it looks pretty cool. It reminds me of rosegarden a little in the gui, I wonder if it is a fork?

I don't understand this:
By sharing a single implementation of plugin hosting between all hosts, the MusiKernel ecosystem can avoid the all-too-common situation of some plugins not working in some hosts. Furthermore, all hosts and all instrument/effect plugins are compiled into a single binary, which provides superior CPU performance while providing the entire audio ecosystem in a single package instead of having to sit through numerous install dialogs to get all of your plugins installed.
Does that mean you can only use their own plugins?
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

falkTX wrote:My advice: Stay away from it.
I wouldn't say stay away from it, but know that the developer reacts abusively to anyone who questions him, even someone who has contributed to his own project before. And you'll never be able to use anything beside his internal plugins. I'm not a big fan of monolithic designs in general. I guess that kinda sounds like you should stay away :S, but I'm not trying to say that. Use it for what its worth. If it fits you, go for it. At least he's still writing GPL code. Thats better than some devs in my opinion.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

ssj71 wrote: At least he's still writing GPL code. Thats better than some devs in my opinion.
Even if I prefer GPL'ed code, and like to rant against close source, I'm unsure about your statement here. jeffh put his work completely outside the linux Eco system, and refuse any integration. Some of the close source dev's which provide Linux Audio tools, behave much smarter and work very well together with open source dev's by search and develop solutions to make anything work smart together.
On the road again.
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

ssj71 wrote:
falkTX wrote:My advice: Stay away from it.
I wouldn't say stay away from it, but know that the developer reacts abusively to anyone who questions him, even someone who has contributed to his own project before. And you'll never be able to use anything beside his internal plugins. I'm not a big fan of monolithic designs in general. I guess that kinda sounds like you should stay away :S, but I'm not trying to say that. Use it for what its worth. If it fits you, go for it. At least he's still writing GPL code. Thats better than some devs in my opinion.
I agree, I was going to say almost exactly that.
tramp wrote:
ssj71 wrote: At least he's still writing GPL code. Thats better than some devs in my opinion.
Even if I prefer GPL'ed code, and like to rant against close source, I'm unsure about your statement here. jeffh put his work completely outside the linux Eco system, and refuse any integration. Some of the close source dev's which provide Linux Audio tools, behave much smarter and work very well together with open source dev's by search and develop solutions to make anything work smart together.
Even though it's regrettable I think it's ultimately beneficial. If pydaw/musikernel mean more people move to linux then that's a good thing (though it looks like he's also starting to release windows versions too).
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

Freedom is freedom of developing whatever you want. So if he thinks he's right and if people have fun with musickernel, why not. But true that you can't expect any collaboration with him, unless you develop only for his system. This said, pydaw and musickernel aren't bad at all.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

stanlea wrote:Freedom is freedom of developing whatever you want.
stanlea wrote:But true that you can't expect any collaboration with him, unless you develop only for his system.
stanlea wrote:This said, pydaw and musickernel aren't bad at all.
:?:

Collaboration is, what linux makes what it is, and sometimes it is real hard to find a agreement. So, forgive me, but I lough out lout by reading your comment, that's why I've cropped it in single stances, compare them, and lough by yourself.
True, he can develop what ever he want, but for sure, what he do didn't help Linux, nor did it fit into the Linux Eco system. Just wait some month and he will be back on windows, were he belongs to.
So please don't wonder why recommend here "stay away from it, it will disturb your work-flow, sooner or later."
On the road again.
Qualitymix
Established Member

Post by Qualitymix »

woops, wasn't aware of all that. now i'm sorry i posted this lol......
in my mind a true developer is willing to work with others for the benefit of the product, not be a child and throw insults and degredations.
I was appalled by that thread.
I'll be promptly uninstalling MusiKernel. (the UI BLOWS anyway)

Besides, I'm happy with Mixbus :D
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Qualitymix wrote:woops, wasn't aware of all that. now i'm sorry i posted this lol......
in my mind a true developer is willing to work with others for the benefit of the product, not be a child and throw insults and degredations.
I was appalled by that thread.
I'll be promptly uninstalling MusiKernel. (the UI BLOWS anyway)

Besides, I'm happy with Mixbus :D
haha, That thread was Disney compared to some of the ones here that were removed... :shock:
tramp
Established Member

just related to a other thread

Post by tramp »

Qualitymix wrote:Besides, I'm happy with Mixbus :D
Just related to a other thread as well, like I said, there are close source developers witch integrate semself a lot better into the linux eco system, like mixbus do.
Problem: using binary’s provided by Mixbus lead's to problems when use gtk(mm) based plugins
solution: build mixbus from source. Don't get me wrong here, the mixbus plugs aren’t available in source, but, the mixbus host source is.
I've just build it today here on my recent debian/sid machine, and it works, integrated into the "Eco system Linux".
That's what I mean, when talk about collaboration, trying to solve problems, together,
That's not Disney, that's Open Source Development featured by ("Harrison") Open Minded Developers with commercial interests.
On the road again.
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

tramp wrote:there are close source developers witch integrate semself a lot better into the linux eco system
I agree 100%. I wasn't trying to imply that all closed source is evil, but there have been devs that rage-quit the community and close the source code of their development. The worst of both worlds. In contrast LinuxDSP and mixbus are definitely building the community through closed source development.
I just say tell users the facts and let them make the decision (like posting that thread link was good). Just because Jeffh goes completely against the status quo doesn't mean we should simply ban his works from the community. Just state the facts and let every man judge for himself or herself. I consider that the most peaceable and effective solution. Time will sort out whether his claims have any merit at all. If centralized plugin stuff is really the best, then lets let it grow and it will benefit everyone. I have my predicitons on whether that will happen or not, but thats not the point.
_ssj71

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

ssj71 wrote:I have my predicitons on whether that will happen or not, but thats not the point.
Exactly that's the point. How are you? Who are you? What do "YOU" think?
Duck and run?
Do you have a opinion?
Peace on earth?
Freak out?
What do you think about this?
Just given a vague u-polite answer, hey, come on, that wouldn't be enough to make it.
If you have predictions, why don't let us know about it?
Otherwise, I could go and read the next best NewsPaper, if I would get some vague impressions.
On the road again.
Fire_String
Established Member

Post by Fire_String »

ssj71 wrote:Just state the facts and let every man judge for himself or herself.
Not a problem there, especially in entertainments! :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :wink:
korakios
Established Member

Post by korakios »

Downloaded it,tried to install ,package creation failed, did it manually , installed the deb package ,launched it , could not configure my audio hardware , unistalled it.
Someone else maybe has time to configure it properly and review it. Nowadays ,I remove everything that is not meant to be a useful tool.I'm done with the beta-hobbyist app thing.
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

tramp wrote:
ssj71 wrote:I have my predicitons on whether that will happen or not, but thats not the point.
Exactly that's the point. How are you? Who are you? What do "YOU" think?
Duck and run?
Do you have a opinion?
Peace on earth?
Freak out?
What do you think about this?
Just given a vague u-polite answer, hey, come on, that wouldn't be enough to make it.
If you have predictions, why don't let us know about it?
Otherwise, I could go and read the next best NewsPaper, if I would get some vague impressions.
ya peace. There's too much freaking out. Its good to discuss whether he has any validity in his claims. I guess I should have said whether his ideas are good or not isn't the point I'm trying to make. The points I wanted to make are as I've said: We shouldnt' harbour an attitude of banning things in the community that claims openness. This guy has potential to offend people with his rants and give an impression that thats what linux audio is like, so we need to make it clear that he is what he is, but lets not tell people to not try if they find it interesting.

And yes, I think musickernel will just be dust in the wind, but lets make sure its because either its an ill founded or an ill executed idea, not because it challenged what we all think is best. Thats all.
_ssj71