how to improve vocal-quality

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Capoeira
Established Member

how to improve vocal-quality

Post by Capoeira »

Hello, i am new here in this forum and realativy new to audio-production.

I have only onboard-sound (AC97) and a little microphone (Sony ecm-ds70p), so my recording is not good.

I would like to receive some advises how to improve the vocal-record. wich plugins/effects can i use?

i've uploaded an example here: http://www.divshare.com/download/7356462-8a8 , so what do you guys think would improve the vocal???

thanks
qharley
Established Member

Re: how to improve vocal-quality

Post by qharley »

You have given the answer to your own question.

To improve your recording quality, you have to get a good quality recording with better hardware first. To use an analogy, think about a digital camera with Vaseline on the lens. You can make out something but the focus is gone. Asking about plug-ins to fix bad audio hardware is like asking about a Gimp plugin to fix the blurry Vaseline image.
DioXide
Established Member

Post by DioXide »

As qharley said, you need better gear.

But if you really insist (or just plain can't afford anything else, which I understand), I have not listened to the sample, but I can already tell that you need some noise reduction (in Audacity?), and heavy equalization (you need to play around with it). Maybe a "tube amp" to try to add some substance to the otherwise lacking microphone.

It's not much, but it's about what can be done... Following qharley's analogy, yes you can improve a blurry image in the GIMP, but not much, only a little bit.
Expert in non-working solutions.
(Signature shamelessly ripped from someone else, is still the truth)
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

hello qharley, hello DioXide; thanks 4 the answers.

yes I now, the problem is the hardware but its true, I dont have the mony to buy other hardware.
So, what i want is to get the most best possible result out of that shit-hardware. all I want is an advice, from some expirienced ears. i was playing around with 3band-EQ allready, with good result. Then i tried "dynamic sledgehammer" wich gave me good "volume" but also inceased the noises heavily. "satan maximizer" results in less noise but less "volume" too. i worked with noise-reduction from audacity allready, too, helps. also a bit of "reverb" is always good, isn't it?
i tried to use compressors, but i can't figuer out how to use them, i can't get effect with them.
will try the "tube amp" now, thanks.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

suddenly, after playing around hours and hours i found a solution: first removing noise in Audacity; downing the mid-range heavily in an EQ; puting some reverb; ans (surprise) puting a delay-pugin with 0 sec of delay range!!!

i think it is much better now, what does you guys think???

LINK: http://www.divshare.com/download/7361145-da6
simta
Established Member

Post by simta »

are you using any kind of pop-shield? if not get some womens tights put them over a wire coathanger and use that, will help a bit.
HP laptop 1.6GHz dual core 2gig ram
Ubuntu 8.10 + Fedora 10
Tascam US-428
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

simta wrote:are you using any kind of pop-shield? if not get some womens tights put them over a wire coathanger and use that, will help a bit.
They call them panty hose where I am from.

-Matt :D

roaldz
Established Member

Post by roaldz »

On the compressor:

A compressor is used to cut down the dynamic range of a signal. If you talk soft, you want to hear it, but if you talk hard, you should also hear it, but it doesn't have to blow up your speakers/ears. Compressors often create a typical "sound". For vocals, I think you should try the SC4 compressor with these settings:
attack: 80 ms
release: 100ms
ratio: 3
threshold -20 (depends on the average level of your dry recording)
make up gain: 10

this will bring your voice closer to you. You should also try jamin, the monster compressor!

Roald
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

simta wrote:are you using any kind of pop-shield? if not get some womens tights put them over a wire coathanger and use that, will help a bit.
that was the hint that i needed, much better now. THANKS
roaldz wrote:On the compressor:

A compressor is used to cut down the dynamic range of a signal. If you talk soft, you want to hear it, but if you talk hard, you should also hear it, but it doesn't have to blow up your speakers/ears. Compressors often create a typical "sound". For vocals, I think you should try the SC4 compressor with these settings:
attack: 80 ms
release: 100ms
ratio: 3
threshold -20 (depends on the average level of your dry recording)
make up gain: 10

this will bring your voice closer to you. You should also try jamin, the monster compressor!

Roald
thanks, i will try this
BUT
now i have other problem with my mic, but i will open other thread.

EDIT: mic-problem: http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic ... 5829#p5829
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

So i think the voice is better now but still seems to be far from the "band".(no need to download, simply press "play"-button): http://www.divshare.com/download/7394589-291
I have a bit reverb, an EQ, and the SC4 with "threshold -25", there must be a way to get more power in the voice!?
roaldz
Established Member

Post by roaldz »

Try tuning the eq so it filters out the mids/high mids (1.5k/3k) with -3 or -4 dB, give it more body by adding some more low mid around 400/600 Hz. Maybe the compressor threshold a bit lower, like -27/-30. Maybe the TAP Tubewarmth plugin to give it more warmth and presence. You can also experiment with the TAP Sigmoid booster, but don´t go wild:)
Oh, be sure to put the EQ before the compressor, and the Tubewarmth/sigmoid booster afther the compressor.

Have your tried to put jamin on the master bus?

Roald
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

roaldz wrote:Try tuning the eq so it filters out the mids/high mids (1.5k/3k) with -3 or -4 dB, give it more body by adding some more low mid around 400/600 Hz. Maybe the compressor threshold a bit lower, like -27/-30. Maybe the TAP Tubewarmth plugin to give it more warmth and presence. You can also experiment with the TAP Sigmoid booster, but don´t go wild:)
Oh, be sure to put the EQ before the compressor, and the Tubewarmth/sigmoid booster afther the compressor.

Have your tried to put jamin on the master bus?

Roald
Your tuning-tips for the EQ where fine, as that part is difficult for me as my own voice still sounds strange to me (hope it isn't because it is really strange ahahhaha)
I also found out that elevating the 5KHz give more Presence; found on a link from studio32 here in forum: http://www.multitrack.us/jam/x146.htm
the compressor threshold I put to -23 as the voice lost naturality
Tubewarmth was THE TIP - it really brought the vocals closer.
The Booster i didn't use.
Jamin is now on the master-bus but i don't know how to use it, but I played around with it and it did some positive effect, i think.
Thank you verry much.

The result one can see(hear) here now: http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1076