Linux kernel 3.19

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

bazsound
Established Member

Linux kernel 3.19

Post by bazsound »

Just had a look for this and dont see it in the repositories.

do i need to move to 14.04?
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Linux kernel 3.19

Post by sysrqer »

3.18 has only just been released, I don't think 3.19 exists in much form yet.
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

sysrqer wrote:3.18 has only just been released, I don't think 3.19 exists in much form yet.
oh right it was just that in the new linux news there was a post about alsa - 3.19 apparently has support for some previously unsupported interfaces, a few of the scarlet interfaces and also original mbox 1.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

You could clone the sources and build it yourself but it's not going to be any where near ready or stable yet. Wasn't there a patch around for mbox1 already or am I just imagining that?
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

sysrqer wrote:You could clone the sources and build it yourself but it's not going to be any where near ready or stable yet. Wasn't there a patch around for mbox1 already or am I just imagining that?
ok thanks

yes the patch has been out for some time. it worked but on my system i was getting clicks and pops during playback and i think i was getting them on recording aswell.

nothing fixed it. No kernel i tried.

same thing happened on my laptop with complelty different hardware.
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

http://www.yourownlinux.com/2014/12/how ... linux.html

if you want to test out kernel 3.19

Im going to try this see how it fairs against my current 3.08 kernel

Edit:

Looks like this is a no go. the new kernel just like previous one breaks nvidia.

Also according to here

http://rglinuxtech.com/?p=1258

there are still lockups which is exactly the same issue i had with kernels 3.11 and up.

Code: Select all

ERROR (dkms apport): kernel package linux-headers-3.19.0-031900rc1-generic is not supported
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.19.0-031900rc1-generic (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/nvidia-331/331.113/build/make.log for more information.
when installing the packages provided by that site
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

Just so everyone knows.

i tried 3.19 rc1.

it doesnt boot for me. It gets stuck at a flashing cursor somewhere during boot. Not sure exactly why as i dont have time to debug and i dont have time also to learn enough to make changes to fix whatevers gone wrong.

Its too early to try it yet, atleast until they fix the problems with nvidia which may be why it failes to boot. (havnt tried on a fresh system without nvidia propriatey drivers()

so just be weary if you want to try the new kernels.

just confirms as ive always beleived, the absolute newest and greatest is not always the best

Ive been running 12.04 for atleast a year (possibly longer) with 3.8 kernel (have tried later kernels with issues) and its been solid except for a few nigels that are related to using LXDE.

Recently its been a bit weird with file manager but it could be due to my old hardware finally starting to fail, but even still with the odd file manager crashes it still doesnt go so bad that i need to hit reset.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

bazsound wrote:it doesnt boot for me. It gets stuck at a flashing cursor somewhere during boot. Not sure exactly why as i dont have time to debug and i dont have time also to learn enough to make changes to fix whatevers gone wrong.
You can try it with the nouveau driver instead. Her is a recipe how to test it without remove the nvidia binary bloop.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/no ... _installed
On the road again.