Call for Testing: KXStudio 14.04.1 ISOs

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

thetotalchaos
Established Member

Re: Call for Testing: KXStudio 14.04.1 ISOs

Post by thetotalchaos »

Hi falkTX

Ok i got up to the challenge. But all my enthusiasm stopped at the moment when the xruns started like crazy. So maybe i am not with the most powerful hardware, but imho it is not normal to have xruns generating, on 128 fps and without having any working programs. I tried stopping the alsa-bridge, i tried different configurations, tried softmode and even added Lxde as an alternative WM. Compare this to my current/resent installations:

On TangoStudio with Jack2 (default) and 64 fps i get occasional xruns mostly when certain program is opened or closed. On 128 fps i get no xruns, even if i am on alsa-loop mode.
On ArchLinux (fluxbox) with Jack1 its impossible to get any xruns unless i start Jack on 32 fps (which is pretty stable nevertheless).

I couldn't manage to test KXStudio with alternative kernel, but maybe this could be the root of the issues (Ubuntu Studio 14.04 performs poorly too). Perhaps it should be a good idea to have different kernel like linux-3.16-lowlatency from 14.10 by default.
The only program in which i found issues (on first approach) was Seq24. It doesn't see a bunch of synths, which it should, and the jack transport is not working on Jack1.

PS: Hoping that the next KXStudio will be based on Debian Jessie.......... :roll:
You can listen to my music at: https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/

Take a journey to wonderland with The Butterfly Effect 2016
https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/a ... fly-effect
thetotalchaos
Established Member

Post by thetotalchaos »

falkTX wrote:You tested that on the ISO live-system, right?
Correct. From USB stick
falkTX wrote: about the xruns, you might want to check interrupts and disable hyper-threading if it applies to your cpu.
I am having internal sound card and i my system is older than cpu multitread generation, so i hope that those are not applied to me.
falkTX wrote: I do not package kernels, and have no interest on doing so.
So its meaningless to test the system with different kernels, isn't it. The user is stuck with linux-3.13-lowlatency

PS: According to Cadence (Catia), my sound card is having 32 inputs and 32 outputs. I can assure you that they are not that many :D

thetotalchaos
Established Member

Post by thetotalchaos »

falkTX wrote: Please check this, having the loopback NOT being the 1st soundcard is something I need to fix.
i will doublecheck this, but i remember that i have to set the jack settings to my sound card to have any sound.

thetotalchaos
Established Member

Post by thetotalchaos »

falkTX wrote: I already do enough with KXStudio repos, Cadence, Carla, DISTRHO and a few (semi-secret) upcoming projects.
I should be getting less work, not more! :wink:
This is a point that the Linuxaudio community should realize, in order to have a well tested stable multimedia distribution, its needed more than one guy responsible for delivering the suite of open source audio software to the masses. falkTX is already doing a great job developing quality software from which all of us benefit plus dozens of plug-ins. I remember back in the days 64 Studio was maintained by 5 guys, that managed to deliver real stable state of the art operating system from top to bottom. Now there are few little one-man-maintained multimedia distributions, desperately seeking for sustainable business model which is some point in time manage to deliver good results, but delivering beta quality in general. I don't want to underestimate nobody's efforts but neither KXStudio, nor Ubuntu Studio or AVLinux are currently the best state of linuxaudio at this moment. There are lots of compromises in user experience in everyone of them. I would not go into details, because i am only trying to make a point. The power of open source is in the cooperation.

tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

thetotalchaos wrote:
falkTX wrote: I already do enough with KXStudio repos, Cadence, Carla, DISTRHO and a few (semi-secret) upcoming projects.
I should be getting less work, not more! :wink:

This is a point that the Linuxaudio community should realize, in order to have a well tested stable multimedia distribution, its needed more than one guy responsible for delivering the suite of open source audio software to the masses.
I think this is understood by a lot of people; whether they have the time/knowledge/resources to help is another matter. Also, people who wish to help but don't necessarily have the technical knowledge are usually told to 1)help with nontechnical things like documentation 2)learn how to do the technical stuff by themselves first and figure out things with little guidance. Neither of those are unreasonable and it isn't fair to expect project devs to allocate resources teaching newbies how stuff works but I think potential contributors are discouraged by this occasionally. And if a lone developer for a project suddenly starts getting regular contributors he/she may need to know how to handle the managerial aspects of a project with more developers.
alu

Post by alu »

Hi,

I tried the new ISO yesterday but my installation did not work.
The installer disappeared during installation and nothing happened.
At some point I rebooted but I ended up with a broken system (had to run grub-rescue).

It's my first installation of KXStudio, so I figured I did something wrong, but I just tried to install the old ISO and it worked.
Anyway, what is this new ISO actually about? Is it mainly about updated application versions?
rickbol
Established Member

Post by rickbol »

I think I experienced the same install failure as alu on the latest iso. I looked for a md5suim to verify bits, but cannot find one.

My first install failure paused for a long time and then reported that either the cd image was damaged or that I had a HD failure.

Upon reboot\re-install attempt, at ~68%, the dvd reader slowed, struggled, and there was a long pause and then thee screen just went to an empty, multi-colored, kde screen (similar to what I think alu describes).

I have since successfully installed AVLinux-diehard on the target partition for KXS. I have a partition for KXS, so I'm happy to try another iso.

rickbol
inteyes

Post by inteyes »

Well, i got the similar problem when i tried to install this ISO into virtualbox - installation crashes at 72% with a message "The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk. [Errno 5] input/output error" :( Seems like image file is broken.
thetotalchaos
Established Member

Post by thetotalchaos »

falkTX wrote: ...I'd love if someone could confirm (besides me) if the new ISO works as live-usb.
Thanks!
It works.
Also Cadence is loading 2 i/o channels out of the box. Nice job falkTX. :)

rickbol
Established Member

Post by rickbol »

I've run this live from a dvd and successfully installed from this dvd. I don't have a usb drive around at the moment to test running it live from usb.

rickbol
inteyes

Post by inteyes »

The installation fails when i try to use my home language as default. When I chose the English language, the installation was successful - it's not a big problem to me, because it's not difficult to change locale settings after successful installation.

Live-usb works perfect!

Overall everything works fine. Thanks for your great work!
juki
Established Member

Post by juki »

Same problem here, the install fails when trying to install in french.
juki
Established Member

Post by juki »

I put the iso on a usb stick using Unetbootin.

I did 3 installs :

The first one on a "test" partition on a HDD, just to try if it goes. The install worked but i realised after that i let the language in english at the first initial screen. However i don't remeber any issue putting the keyboard in french.

So then i decided to install on my main SDD. I selected french when i started the install, everything went well till the keyboard setting. It just didn't show up.
ubi-console-setup failed with exit code 141...
I resumed thinking i will fix the keyboard mapping later and the install continued. I went away to do some stuff elsewhere and came back, there was just the wallpaper on the screen and nothing happening.

I started the full process again, the only difference is before to start the install i did a setxkbmap fr in a terminal. Same choice of french language at the begining of the install, same error than above with the keyboard choice (but my keyboard was already in french azerty due to the setxkbmap fr). I didn't go away in order to see what will happen, the install just stopped after a while.

So i finally installed a Debian Jessie adding the KXStudio repos after as i prefer Debian anyway. I hope my explanations are clear enough and will be useful.
HarryUP
Established Member

Post by HarryUP »

Successfully installed KXStudio_14.04.1c_64bit.iso via USB.
Now there aren't any plasma-desktop "segmentation fault" at session startup and loads normally. This usually happened in version 14.04 after upgrading the packages and installing the intel graphics driver, I had to run plasma-desktop from krunner, or reboot.
Jack and wine-rt to work as usual, I tried playing some modules with several plugins in Renoise and in OpenMPT. Ardour still crashes and Tuxguitar has many segfault errors. Finally, I'm still not able to get Aeolus to load, I miss it a lot, it was one of my favorites in Ubuntu Studio.
Thanks for all your work, falkTX.

Edit: When I want to register wineasio I get this:
regsrv32 wineasio.dll
No command 'regsrv32' found, did you mean:
Command 'regsvr32' from package 'wine1.6' (universe)
regsrv32: command not found
jamesehearn

Post by jamesehearn »

Hi guys! My names is James Hearn, and I'm interested in possibly helping test KXStudio.

I'm a QA engineer for a software company right now, and have been testing software for a few years now, but it's been all browser-based software.

I'm also in school for a master's degree in information systems, and I've taught digital audio recording at several universities and colleges for the past 10+ years, so I'm familiar with some of the software testing processes and definitely familiar with DAWs, plugins, and troubleshooting.

I'm looking to get involved with a project that fits with my personal passions more than the software I'm testing now, and Linux + audio production are right up my alley.

I'm honestly not real sure how much I can even help, since school begins again Monday, and that may keep me too busy to help with anything of note, but I know I'll never start if I don't ask.

If someone can point m i the direction of helpful information for me, that'd be awesome!

- James Hearn