Any good filters?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

akiz
Established Member

Any good filters?

Post by akiz »

Is there any good filter plugin?
You know, there are very good compressors, EQs, some fairly good reverbs and not good modulation effects (choruses, phasers...).
is there any other simple linux filter that sounds analog (it has some unique characteristic, it doesnt sound like traditional software filter from 2004 :-) you would recommend?
It is essential plugin so..
ssj71
Established Member

Re: Any good filters?

Post by ssj71 »

Perhaps this is exactly what you mean when you say trad. software filter from 2004 but what about the MCP ladspa plugins by Fons? http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/ladspa/
They sound good to me.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
akiz
Established Member

Post by akiz »

I will try it :-).
Thank you...

What i am looking is not filter that does what it has to do but filter that can surprise me like almost any commercial win / macosx filter out here.
akiz
Established Member

Post by akiz »

Ok, i dont like it.
It sounds fine at some frequencies but it doesnt sound smooth when you modulate it.
Even Renoise native moog filter behaves better.
I tested it with simple square and triangle wave.
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

are you modulating in the audible range?
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

most of the filters I've used in LAU are pretty stock but you can get decent results when you saturate it lightly or add other effects (but that may be obvious). the kxstudio repositories have most of the avaiable filter plugins so you can install them and load them in carla to test them out.
akiz
Established Member

Post by akiz »

ArtyFx filter is nice to control and sounds nice, but it is just lv2 and i dont like carla for hosting plugins (takes too much cpu and the guis are slow)...
I test filters against Drop, Bifilter or valvefilter cm and no linux filter sounds even 50% nice on bass frequencies...
akiz
Established Member

Post by akiz »

But that MCP plugins have nice moments with some material so i recommend them.
More testing showed them better than they appeared yeasterday :-)
DepreTux
Established Member

Post by DepreTux »

Do you have any concrete expectations about the filters?

Have you tried the tal filter? For a coloured output, it seems to do the job. It is a bit unstable in my experience, though.

I'm pretty sure many vst filters implement more complex algorithms to sound ready withouth any further work.

Try compressing/limiting/saturating the signal before or after the filter, and the filtering will be more notorious.
akiz
Established Member

Post by akiz »

Oh, i've forgot about Tal Filter! Thank you, it is nice.

And thank you for your tips.
I know that complex chains can make big differences but i love filters this is why i ask about it. You know, moog filter, ms20 filter, obxd filter, everyone is different :wink:

My exception: When you go down, bass is warm and prominent even if you dont add resonance. If you ever tried valve filter you will know what i mean :-)
DepreTux
Established Member

Post by DepreTux »

akiz wrote:My exception: When you go down, bass is warm and prominent even if you dont add resonance. If you ever tried valve filter you will know what i mean :-)
Be warned, pointless digression below:

I sincerely doubt our ears can be tricked to hear that kind of warmness with digital signal processing. Let alone doing it with just a simple low pass filter.

To me we have different flavours of sound. The expensive warm sound and the cheap digital/software one (which doesn't need to be dull).

You can achieve different timbres with each, and each has its subtleties, but in the end what matters is the form in which you shape your sounds. I mean the dynamic range, the frequency content, if it's got more 2nd or 3rd harmonics, etc.

In my way of viewing it, despite the [big] differences, the importance lays on the musical content to be conveyed. As soon as the mix is crowded with 2 or more timbres, the warmness of the low end becomes relative to the rest of the music.

All this is kind of my excuse for using linux on audio: I know there are probably much better compressors, filters, recorders, etc out there in the propetary realm, but one only needs a basic set of tools (with as low a resource usage as possible) with which to build one's sound.

Each time you workaround a limitation or patch a hole in your setup, you are shaping the output in a very particular way. The limitations become as defining as the possibilities. I guess that's something to keep in mind when working with a cold computer.
akiz
Established Member

Post by akiz »

Yeah, you are right but still... any creative tool can be great :-).
For now i´ve bought monotron with its lovely and noisy ms10 filter. I love it on drums, it can make them warm, crisp and compressed :-D
DepreTux
Established Member

Post by DepreTux »

For now i´ve bought monotron with its lovely and noisy ms10 filter. I love it on drums, it can make them warm, crisp and compressed :-D
I've only once had a chance to use one of those, they are great. Specially through large speakers haha.

any creative tool can be great :-).
An important point that I easily oversee.

Have a good one! (you probably will with the monotron)