LMMS 0.4.4 has been released!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=105168

What is LMMS?
LMMS is a free cross-platform alternative to commercial programs like FL Studio®, which allow you to produce music with your computer. This includes the creation of melodies and beats, the synthesis and mixing of sounds, and arranging of samples. You can have fun with your MIDI-keyboard and much more; all in a user-friendly and modern interface.

Features

* Song-Editor for composing songs
* A Beat+Bassline-Editor for creating beats and basslines
* An easy-to-use Piano-Roll for editing patterns and melodies
* An FX mixer with 64 FX channels and arbitrary number of effects allow unlimited mixing possibilities
* Many powerful instrument and effect-plugins out of the box
* Full user-defined track-based automation and computer-controlled automation sources
* Compatible with many standards such as SoundFont2, VST(i), LADSPA, GUS Patches, and full MIDI support
* Import of MIDI and FLP (Fruityloops® Project) files
studio32

Re: LMMS 0.4.4 has been released!

Post by studio32 »

And how is Jack support? Or isn't that important for an app like LMMS?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Funny you ask that because as I'm reading this post, I launched LMMS and it complained about starting jack client and wouldn't stop launching the warning windows that I had to restart pc. Works great with alsa...
No Jack. ?Dunno if you really need jack with this. I use it by creating what I need with it then I export to project to .wav and import in Ardour.
simta
Established Member

Post by simta »

jack support is sketchy at best, it is on the list of things to do, but there are only 3 devs working part time on the project and its a bit further down the list of priorities.

what we really need is someone who knows jack well to come in and sort it out, it shouldn't take too much trouble, but the current devs just don't have the time.

most of us lmms users don't really need jack and can get by without, but it would be useful if it was sorted. lets hope someone can step upto the challenge.
HP laptop 1.6GHz dual core 2gig ram
Ubuntu 8.10 + Fedora 10
Tascam US-428
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

simta, I hated the app at first until it worked good with alsa then I loved it. Yeah, we don't really need jack but it would be nice to have.
simta
Established Member

Post by simta »

personally i'm the same too, i'm quite happy with running it with alsa and i do everything in lmms apart from chopping so i don't really need jack.

i do think we need to get it sorted at some point though, i think theres quite a few people who get put off by the fact jack isn't good with lmms, and there are some people who would like to be able to integrate it with ardour and other programs.
Ubuntu 8.10 + Fedora 10
Tascam US-428
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I was one of those guys who got put off with it. That's when I used it to write rock tunes and needed to add guitar, etc.
Now, I just use it for hip-hop as I'm writing beats for this kid. But, I would love to use it with jack, Ardour and Hydrogen.
I kinda wish the Tuxguitar devs would make that app a sequencer. It's amazing for bass, horns, etc as you can do bends, slides, etc., outside of the guitar.
Or that would be a nice fit to LMMS. Sad only 3 devs on LMMS. Thought linux, having mostly keyboard/electronic musicians, that LMMS would be at the forefront.

But 3 devs and yet they have time for Windows version?? At one point, LMMS worked on my wife's XP and never well on Linux... I had a thread going on that here...
Why do we cater to Windows still???
simta
Established Member

Post by simta »

they have a windows version simply because it doesn't really cost them much time or trouble to make it. if it was anymore trouble they wouldn't bother.

there might be lots of electronic musicians on linux, but it seems not many of them program (not that i can lol) or if they do they aren't interested in supporting lmms.

but even with all those issues, its still a great program, i couldn't use anything else to make music on linux. nothing else cuts it, i also think ardour devs should give some credit to lmms seeing as they now use our vestige header.
Ubuntu 8.10 + Fedora 10
Tascam US-428
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

it all depends on the kind of music you produce and how you like to arrange it. LMMS has a niche, for sure. I don't think I will personally use it as I am not into loop based arrangement. If I did, I would give a try and if the jack thing was bothering me, I would try to code it myself. The code is open-source, isn't it ? :)
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

yeah, the ardour boys do give credit there. LMMS is the easiest to use but I also like Seq24 and waiting for kde4 version of Rosegarden.
Right now, the only instrument I have is a guitar so I use Seq24 with Fluidsynth for bass or if I have time, which I don't lately, I use Tuxguitar for the bass.
I like Seq24 because it jack syncs with Ardour and Hydrogen. Like thorgal, I try to keep away from the looping except for the hip-hop beats.
simta
Established Member

Post by simta »

yes it does depend in the music you make, but seeing lmms as ONLY for loop based music is short sighted IMO, its alot more accomplished than that.

i don't think that electronic music necessarily equals loops, even though yes alot of dance music is based on that. that does suggest that rock music isn't based on similar drum patterns that are repeated in particular sequences, just like classical, just like most types of music apart from ridiculous crazy electro acoustic stuff :lol:

you could maybe say as its not jack connected its not that great for more instrumental based music, but i've talked to quite a few people who prefer to compose their tracks in lmms then export to ardour to maybe record a guitar track over it or something like that.
Ubuntu 8.10 + Fedora 10
Tascam US-428
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

you could maybe say as its not jack connected its not that great for more instrumental based music, but i've talked to quite a few people who prefer to compose their tracks in lmms then export to ardour to maybe record a guitar track over it or something like that.
yeah, as I mentioned at the start, I'm one of those who will export from LMMS to a track in Ardour... I would use it for techno metal grooves..
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

lots of speculation going on here :lol:

no, that's not what I meant. LMMS is great at loops, I don't use loops. Ardour is great at what I want to do, i.e. recordings. So I am using it. Simple :)
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

oh yeah, both apps have their place under Linux.....
like them both because I use them the way both you guys uses your apps...
simta
Established Member

Post by simta »

yes they are both great projects, but it amazes me the functionality of lmms with such limited resources. ardour is a giant in comparison.
Ubuntu 8.10 + Fedora 10
Tascam US-428