Just to be clear in my head

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

dchurch24
Established Member

Just to be clear in my head

Post by dchurch24 »

I have Ardour set up through Jack obviously, talking to Hydrogen - and for the most part this has been enough for me to record drums, bass and keyboards (through audio, not MIDI).

I've just got qsampler up and running and some of the os/free .gig files I've found have blown me away - particularly the free piano sample on the linuxsampler site and the free trumpet samples that someone linked me to from here.

To start using the sampler in my songs, I would need to connect my keyboard via MIDI through Jack, yes?

Then start by laying tracks in Ardour/Hydrogen, and link that to Rosegarden(?) which would use the midi to record the sampler that is being played on the keyboard-in through midi?

If that's correct, how would I then export the whole thing out, together with the midi-controlled samples?
thorgal
Established Member

Re: Just to be clear in my head

Post by thorgal »

what you want to do is this:

send MIDI events from your keyboard to say rosegarden, record these events to a MIDI track. Connect the MIDI track to linuxsampler so that the latter receives the track content (MIDI events). Connect the linuxsampler audio output ports to a track in ardour.

Make sure that rosegarden, ardour and hydrogen are jack transport slaves. Rosegarden is by default I think (option in the rosegarden system settings). Hydrogen as a little jack transport mode button in the main tool bar, ardour has something similar (mode is called 'JACK').

EDIT: of course, you can bypass rosegarden all together if you are not interested in recording / saving the MIDI events you sent from the keyboard. Then you just plug your MIDI h/w to linuxsampler.

Then, you can play/record all these guys in sync, you included if you record MIDI from your keyboard in rosegarden :)

needless to say that as far as latency is concerned, it's better be small if you proceed this way. Indeed, linuxsampler will produce a sound as soon as a MIDI event reaches it. But before, it has to be played by you, transported to your PC, received by rosegarden, recorded to the MIDI track, and sent to linuxsampler. I would be curious to hear how it goes if you play / record everything in sync in some sort of 'live' mode.
dchurch24
Established Member

Re: Just to be clear in my head

Post by dchurch24 »

EDIT: of course, you can bypass rosegarden all together if you are not interested in recording / saving the MIDI events you sent from the keyboard. Then you just plug your MIDI h/w to linuxsampler.
Ahh - so I can route the output from LinuxSampler into Ardour? That sounds like it might give less latency than the other way.

I noticed that even using the VirtualKeyboard to LinuxSampler I was getting a little latency SOMETIMES and this worried me a little bit.