Bored with what I have...

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

studio32

Re: Bored with what I have...

Post by studio32 »

dchurch24 wrote:
All I need now is to get googling for some free samples!
Check our WIKI first!
http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php ... 5d1c15f036

Check also the piano gig on the linuxsampler website (instruments), great sample!
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

This place continues to amaze!

...as does DAW on Linux to be honest, I mean how did anyone get anything done without Jack?
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

no clue, I never used anything else than jack in my "carrier as a music producer". On a side note, before discovering that you could turn a PC into the engine of a music studio, I honestly thought computers were rubbish and hated using them (I had to for my work activities though, but god did I dislike them!).
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

Ha - I'm quite the opposite - I work as a programmer, and have programmed computers since the days of the ZX80 as a kid!

However, to be able to combine my two favourite hobbies is fantastic for me.

I shudder when I think I used to struggle with Cubase and that dreadful drum editor now that I've discovered Ardour + Hydrogen and Jack.

I seriously cannot understand how you can sync thing up properly without Jack - I don't know of a Windows equiv., but there must be one I assume.

I'm like a kid in a sweet shop now I've discovered all of this - the only problem is which sweets to eat first!
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

anything MS-windows-music-production is on the edge of being some metaphysics to my mind, and I tend to be a very grounded person :lol:

EDIT: I tried jack2 on windows XP though, and it's getting there ;)
just have a look at my netjack2 story if you are curious
http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php ... &sk=t&sd=a
qharley
Established Member

Post by qharley »

That's the thing with the .GIG samples. There are quite a few free ones about, but only a few free gems. The paid ones are much better, and essentially free, if you take into account to price of sample packages by commercial companies. Get the free samples, normally crippled in some way, and them buy the ones you need.

There is a very nice piano sample on the Linuxsampler site.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Can (commercial) GIG files compete with VST plugins?
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

Hi, some of the free ones I have found so far sound amazing - the Westgate trumpets for e.g. - I loaded them in this morning and they sound excellent.

I have a few others downloading but they are quite large downloads and my connection speed is dire (I live in the UK - and not in a City so I have little hope of it improving any time soon).

I'm still downloading the Piano one - should be finished by this evening though I hope.
simta
Established Member

Post by simta »

ardour will not have support for vst instruments until v3.0 AFAIK only vst effects, at the moment lmms does have support for both vst effects and vst instruments and there are zero issues with using either 32/64 bit system
HP laptop 1.6GHz dual core 2gig ram
Ubuntu 8.10 + Fedora 10
Tascam US-428