hissing noise

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

apathity
Established Member

hissing noise

Post by apathity »

I'm using Guitarix with a Behringer Guitar Link USB Cable and I get a hissing noise but it's not directly amplified by guitarix distortion.

Attached is a short sample of the noise. Without listing all my hardware components, what you do you think could be done about this?
Attachments
hiss.mp3
(130.5 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
artek
Established Member

Re: hissing noise

Post by artek »

Do you get hissing noise on clean guitar? Can you post sample?
apathity
Established Member

Post by apathity »

Yes I do, I didn't really notice up till now but it is definitely there (listen to the new sample)

I'm not sure how the noise is amplified by guitarix, I have some really high gain presets but the noise is actually minimal compared to the first sample I posted earlier.

I'm pretty sure it's the Behringer interface though. When I switch to a different PC I hear a very similar noise there. So either I have two bad PC's or I have a bad USB interface (or both :))
Attachments
hiss-clean.mp3
(286.53 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
artek
Established Member

Post by artek »

I got no idea what's goin on! But to measure hiss on your interface you need to record silence.
I think you are getting feedback from your speakers (hiss.mp3) and you get sound of holding strings down on guitar (hiss-clean.mp3).
Anyway "silence" sections on both files are too much different to blame usb interface.
Artek
apathity
Established Member

Post by apathity »

Thanks, I will record total silence later today.

I'm using headphones plugged into the interface, so there are no speakers!

You are right about the string noise in hiss-clean.mp3 but if you turn the volume up really loud you will hear a constant noise, it is most audible from 00:05 to 00:11 I guess (because of the guitar string ringing out)
artek
Established Member

Post by artek »

apathity wrote: I'm using headphones plugged into the interface, so there are no speakers!
That is probably answer, it could be interface crosstalk.
I have behringer too and I got crosstalk about +20db above noise level - don't remember exactly.
apathity
Established Member

Post by apathity »

Thanks a lot, I would have never assumed that it has to do with the headphones! I will check this out later.