Jam Origin MIDI GUITAR

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Jam Origin MIDI GUITAR

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

Greetings all,

Recently, I came across Jam Origin MIDI GUITAR (http://jamorigin.com/products/midi-guitar/). It's software turning any electric string instrument into a MIDI controller with no other aid but your regular guitar lead. As per usual, however, it's only geared towards Windows and Mac.

Still,I wonder as to whether adventurous programmers/developers, out there, could be tempted to turn this concept into Linux user-operational reality. The fully functional (as well as freely downloadable) demo on their website might be a start...

tnob
stanlea
Established Member

Re: Jam Origin MIDI GUITAR

Post by stanlea »

The closest useful linux app I know for that is the aubio library :
http://aubio.org/
No fancy GUI, but install the aubio tools set and run aubionotes within jack : feed the in with your guitar, the out with whatever synth you want and hear the results : not so bad.

There's also this :
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ev ... -to-melody

but not free, and althought there will be a Linux build, not available yet
Strangetown
Established Member

Post by Strangetown »

Hi, I just came across this thread and would just like to add that I installed the app in wine 1.7 on Ubuntu Studio and, using the wineasio driver from the kxstudio repo along with jack first impressions it seems to pretty much work fine. :)
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Strangetown,

So are you talking about the standalone app or the VST plugin? I wonder if the VST plugin works in an ArdourVST build..?

*EDIT, ahh there's a demo, will try and see...
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hmmm,

No dice in ArdourVST with Wine 1.6.2, but Carla runs it! No guitar or proper interface on this comp to fully test it yet..

glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

GMaq wrote: No guitar or proper interface on this comp to fully test it yet..
Look on craigslist or guitarcenter used gear pages for a used Fender Mustang usb amp.
Should find one for $60 or less. Gets you a usb guitar input device, a good headphone/line
output, a recording/practice amp, and linux software called 'plug' in debian repos,
can edit the 12 modeled amps, and load of effects, saveable on the amp. Which will
sound as great as your ability to build a signal chain. It has fooled a good number
of the toob-people, in blind listening tests.
Cheers
Strangetown
Established Member

Post by Strangetown »

GMaq wrote:Strangetown,

So are you talking about the standalone app or the VST plugin? I wonder if the VST plugin works in an ArdourVST build..?

*EDIT, ahh there's a demo, will try and see...
Sorry yes, the standalone, bit more detail. Hardware used: Dell 1525 laptop core2duo with 4gig RAM Ubuntu Studio x64, sound: Presonus firebox. Plugins tested so far: Camel Space, works fine, Reveal Sound Spire, works fine, Ohmforce Ohmboyz, works fine, D16 Phoscyon has issues that crashed the app (I think this might have something to do with the way the graphics for it are displayed in Wine rather than the actual sound itself). All plugins 64 bit.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

glowrak guy wrote:
GMaq wrote: No guitar or proper interface on this comp to fully test it yet..
Look on craigslist or guitarcenter used gear pages for a used Fender Mustang usb amp.
Should find one for $60 or less. Gets you a usb guitar input device, a good headphone/line
output, a recording/practice amp, and linux software called 'plug' in debian repos,
can edit the 12 modeled amps, and load of effects, saveable on the amp. Which will
sound as great as your ability to build a signal chain. It has fooled a good number
of the toob-people, in blind listening tests.
Cheers
Hi glowrak guy,

I have heard good things about the Mustang although I am one of those annoying 'toob people', in my case I have the gear it just wasn't in the location I took the screenshot and I was too lazy to cobble up a connector for a Behringer UCA-222 sound card at that time of night.. :)
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Most toob-people are pretty knowlegeable/reasonable, as long as brand-names don't enter the discussion :wink:
Of course, it's far worse when amp-sims advocates start touting software brands :evil: . To make it worse,
the devout among sims users often prove their reality based on the latest youtube, of which the origin
cannot be duplicated, what production quality there was has become skeletal, so the foundational conclusions
'mine rucks, your's socks' are based on hats made of the cheap tinfoil.

The youtube promo's of the new Peavy Revalver 4, are spectacularly 'teenage mutant shredder' in nature.
Is there no shame :?

Jam Origin can be interesting. Slow 1/16th, or fast 1/8th notes depending on how the S&P 500 is doing.
While tedious, auditioning dozens of great synths legato/mono implementation, and their portamento options, can replace
some of the speed and glitch limitations, with interesting and musical synth leads. Tuning strings above E
may also tighten up triggering.

One can also craft a custom nut and bridge, on a dedicated guitar, with just three or four strings, farther apart, to reduce
accidentals, and use custom size strings so the gauge differences are minimized, all to zero in on the most precise
and uniform midi triggering.

J-O can also be nice for playing basslines, synce there are gazzillions of cool sinth bass patches out there.
Cheers
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

glowrak guy wrote:Most toob-people are pretty knowlegeable/reasonable, as long as brand-names don't enter the discussion :wink:
Hehe

No arguments here, any time anyone assumes what works for them must be the way for everyone else you run into problems... I think in very general terms the genre of music can potentially influence the sort of amplification, I listen to almost all genres but I create bluesy/rootsy music and tubes are not just an aesthetic they are an actual part of the signal chain IMHO, on the other hand I've heard Guitarix absolutely slay the dragon in various metal genres people have posted, in that case actual vintage tube amps could potentially detract and take focus from the desired sound..

A personal pet peeve of mine is seeing people with a beautiful vintage Fender Twin, Marshall Plexi or Vox AC-30 amp plugging in a Zoom or Line-6 modeling box (which are quite valid on their own) and saying they are all about 'tube' sound... :roll:

Sorry this has nothing at all to do with MIDI Guitar, I respectfully now bow out and remove myself from further disruptive behaviors... :oops:
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

GMaq wrote:
A personal pet peeve of mine is seeing people with a beautiful vintage Fender Twin, Marshall Plexi or Vox AC-30 amp plugging in a Zoom or Line-6 modeling box (which are quite valid on their own) and saying they are all about 'tube' sound... :roll:
But that's how they get genuine breakup on their $1000 flat response studio monitors! :lol:
Strangetown
Established Member

Post by Strangetown »

An update to this, the latest release of Midi Guitar still works in Linux. Furthermore I have got the external Midi control to work using my firewire sound module's midi interface using Alsa virtual midi.

To enable virtual midi you have to load it:

Code: Select all

$ sudo modprobe snd_virmidi
This will give you (per default) four virtual midi devices, if you only want one, extend the command thus:

$ sudo modprobe snd_virmidi midi_devs=1
You'll have to tell Linux to reload that module after a reboot:

$ sudo su
You'll possibly have to enter your password now. Afterwards:

$ echo snd-virmidi >> /etc/modules
Credit to the above commands goes to http://answers.bitwig.com/questions/121 ... s-on-linux

I used the Cadence jack controller from the Kxstudio repositories to run this as I was having crash problems with Qjackctl when trying to get it to run the bridge on startup *

http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/Repositories

*note you have to connect the firewire midi to virtual midi through in one of the patchbay apps inside Cadence to establish the connection.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Good news!

I'm interested in how you are using this with Linux (ie with what Sequencer or DAW?), are you still doing it standalone or hosting it in Carla with the Wine VST bridges. It would be very interesting to see if Carla will host the VST reliably in Ardour or Mixbus3...
Strangetown
Established Member

Post by Strangetown »

I am still using it as a standalone with Windows vst plugins. I discovered trying to run the vst in Bitwig Studio with the airwave vst bridge in Linux caused a lot of CPU load. I will try again with this later version at some point and report back. Even the earlier versions of it both the AU and vst caused a lot of load in OS X so much so that it was better to run the standalone first and then load whatever DAW you wished to use with it. Had it working with Reason this way np. Maybe they have sorted that though.