Reinstalling kx studio ububtu 12.04 or 14.04?

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

i2productions
Established Member

Re: Reinstalling kx studio ububtu 12.04 or 14.04?

Post by i2productions »

Like falk said, the only downfall to the method I posted is you would have to update the kernel yourself in the future if you wanted updates. If my Mint 17 with kxstudio and a particular daily build is working solid, I may never touch it, unless I specificly need something a newer kernel provides.
Alwaysanewb
Established Member

Post by Alwaysanewb »

Ok here is where i am at. I reinstalled ubuntu kxstudio 12.04 everything has gone fine so far. Can't fiugre the command line to install the low latency kernal. i don't want to have to manually update. sudo apt-get install linux-lowlatency isn't working been searching and can't find it.

Edit... ok I found a way to install the low latency kernal. i install it then restart my computer then go uname -r and it still shows up i'm using the 3.11 generic kernel?????? Anyone know what i'm doing wrong?
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

3.15 kernel can make a mess of a working 12.04 install. It should only be used with 14.04. 12.04 should either be 3.2 or 3.8 kernels.
Alwaysanewb
Established Member

Post by Alwaysanewb »

On 12.04 I installed the 3.8 kernal I help shift and got into grub 3.8 was in the previeous kernals part. I just reinstalled 12.04 right now and am reinstalling everything. I'm pulling my freaking hair out here. Ok as we speak I must of miss typed my password twice when I installed. Anyway I'm not sure what the problem is I'll get back to you after I kick myself in the teeth.
Alwaysanewb
Established Member

Post by Alwaysanewb »

Ok Back to 14.04 and sticking to it. Actually running pretty decent pretty comparable for xruns at 128 buffer maybe a bit worse might have to switch to 258 but 2.6ml latency scares me not sure if i should be worrying about that or not. Had ardour crash when I closed it once. Runs fine while it's running.

Jack doesn't start at start up. It says check logs and won't start when I hit start. Starts when I hit force restart though. Sometimes It says cadence unexpectedly closed and tells me I can send an error report when i force restart but it doesn't actually close. Is there some way I can check the logs to maybe make a bug report. Or something I can do or info I can give to help out?

It runs pretty good and will be very usable. Ubuntu actually seem lightning quick right now just a few litte audio quirks I have stumbled apon so far. I'm going to mess around with the graphics drives try the other onse out see if that helps with the xruns. i'm just not that good at computers to be able to help much with bug reports and stuff.
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

i have no issues with kernel 3.11 under 12.04.

I have kx studio 14.04 downloaded just h avnt tested it,but id be surprised if it works on my desktop without an older kernel
Alwaysanewb
Established Member

Post by Alwaysanewb »

I think it's a combination of ubuntu being a bit buggier than normal and Well I guess I'm going to need a bigger prossessor. i bought a amd 965 black edition about a year ago and it's the nicest fastest processor I have ever owned and it only cost about 60 bucks. I'll have buck up for the 8350 if I ever really get in the groove. with my buffer at 512 I get 5.3 milisecond latency and can record on ardour and surf the web at the same time and not get an xrun. It's pretty stable at 258 buffer too.

i2productions what are the specs of the system your running?
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

My system is about 4 years old, but I won't get rid of it unless the mobo dies(already replaced power supply, north+south bridge coolers, and soon the graphics Card.)
Asus
2.67 Intel i7(came overclocked at 2.93 but I honestly don't need the extra processing power and would rather give the processor a breather.)
9 Gigs of Ram
Nvidia GTX 260
M-audio Delta 1010LT
1 Terabyte 7200RPM Seagate
320 GB 7200RRM Seagate

Primary Partition:Mint 13 cinnamon (12.04) w/KX Studio w 3.2 Generic Kernel...yes...let me say that again GENERIC KERNEL, I have not replaced or had to reinstall since May 2012(and may not soon.)
90% of what I do with my production machine is post production recorded elsewhere. I don't have any issues with a 1024 buffer. Now, that said, I've had a need lately to do more realtime processing. I've tried a few kernels with it, and they never seemed to make things any better. I've started some of my latest work on Mint 17 the latest low-latency kernel. I also use the proprietary Nvidia driver.
2nd Partition:Windows(Very clean install for gaming only. Elder Scrolls Online, Skyrim, Fallout:New Vegas, team speak, and recently added Goat Simulator!)
3rd Partition(on second drive):This is my testing partition currently with Mint 17, the daily low-latency 3.15 kernel, and the kxstudio repos. I've had more crashes of Ardour in this setup than on my primary Mint 13 partition, but the low-latency is stagering. When things like Ardour don't crash, I only see xruns once in a blue moon loading a plugin. I tested some guitar recording for 20 minute run through rakarrack and then into guitarix at 128 buffer with no xruns. It feels just a tad buggier, but I like some of the new features in the cinnamon desktop.

That's my two cents. I know people are going to tell me or you can't make music with a generic kernel on linux, but they're full of ....something. I work for 6-12 hours sometimes on Ardour 3 projects with 50+ MIDI/Audio tracks, and rarely see a crash on my primary partition. It just depends on what you need to do with your rig. Latency is only an issue if you NEED instant audio fx processing. I had a lot of fun playing guitar with raka and guitarix, but I also don't have a lot of fun dealing with crashes in unstable systems when you're mixing with a lot of tracks and have a lot of routing going on that may need to be repatched.
Alwaysanewb
Established Member

Post by Alwaysanewb »

On your mint 17 partition are you runnung cinnimon or mate? I have an extra ssd I might try linux mint on. I record music with mine track by track. Guitar, bass, drums. Standard old style stuff. I don't use any plugins I use hardware reverb compression, and a hardware mixer to mix with. I just record and play tracks in ardour. I could drop the buffer rate to mix down too. I looked up your proccessor it says yours and mine are similar in perfomance your's ins better at somethings and mine is better at somethings. Maybe the i7 its just a smoother running chip. Whick is deffinatly a possibility Yours might multithread better to I'm just not sure.

Right now i am running well enough to where I can use it so I'm not to worried about it. Always trying to squeeze a little more out of computers than they want to give you. Kind of the story of my computer life.
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

My mint 17 is cinnamon, always cinnamon. I love the new quarter screen docking of windows in cinnamon 2.2. The Mint team always seems to do a better job with ubuntu than Cannonical. I have all Intel and Nvidia, and you have all AMD stuff. Used to be a big fan of AMD, but Intel seems to be the better choice since they started their i series of processors 5 years ago. Haven't used AMD processor or graphic to know what kind of comparability they have in the linux kernel.
Snap
Established Member

Post by Snap »

Used to be a big fan of AMD, but Intel seems to be the better choice since they started their i series of processors 5 years ago
Almost the opposite here. I run my workstations on Xeons in the past. I still have some aged ones on hand at this point. But budget is tight now and went for an AMD FX8350 instead of the costlier Xeons. IMO, AMD FX is the best bang for the buck for a more than decent workstation today. Of course i7s are still good choices, but the kind of "all at once" processing that server CPUs aimed for is exactly what audio processing needs. The best CPUs for a DAW are intel Xeons or AMD FX. i7 are still good compromises. For a general purpose PC or intensive gaming I'd go with an i7. But for audio it's Xeon if you can afford them or AMD FX is your budget is tight. Audio is totally different than gaming. Benchmarks do not apply for this task.

Also, tracking is a real time single core task. Grab the highest clocked single core CPU you can find for tracking. AMD gives the fastets at this moment. The FX8350 runs at 4 GHz. And for editing and mixing. Higher buffers, evererything delayed and synched, a capable multi-core server processor is always the best choice. With eight cores, you can't beat an AMD Fx for the money. Once again, Xeons are the best choice.
Alwaysanewb
Established Member

Post by Alwaysanewb »

I think both make a usable processor I guess. It's just all the intell computers I use after so many years break to beyond the point of a software problem. They were old computers at the time but I have a laptop right now thats 8 years old an old amd chipset that with ubuntu on it runs as good as new. Plus I can't really afford intell chips. I got my amd 965 and a gigabyte 970a ud3 which is a top of the line board except it doesnt run the dual crossfire graphics chips for about 140 for both new for microcenter knowing I could upgrade to the 8350 chip when and if I needed to. On ubuntu 12.04.2 and 12.04.3 That chip tracked good enough with ardour for anyone. I run a fanless 1gb graphics card anyone Because I don't need much of a graphics card anyway. The only things I do graphicly is open shot or gimp and they mostly use proccessor power and ram. I'm pretty sure ardour tracks with mulitithreading I read paul uses parrallel threading per track, so the 8350 will work fine for that for me too. Not saying the intell wouldn't be just as good but between proccesor and mobo I would be looking at 400-700 dollars. Plus linux has been designed as an os to be a multithreading beast.

I looked at all the benchmarks and stuff and intell just wasn't worth it to me to be able to get 5fps better on crysis 3 I don't even play crysis If I do get the 8350 with the cooler I already have I will probably be able to overclock a fair amount too. If the 14.04 bugs get worked out my system is buggy as all get out especially running cadence, jack, and ardour with the 8350 I will probably be able to have the same or less latency than the reel to reel recorders actually had. Next time I get the money I'm going to spring for the chip but right now I can practice with the setup I have and I need to make sure I have money for things like food first :mrgreen:

Quick question for snap. I was wondering so I can use those expensive server processors to run a music recording desktop?
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

I wasn't comparing the 2 processors. I only mentioned them because I have NO issues with my system, be it 12.04 or 14.04 with the i7. For that matter, the only reason I own this is because I picked up this system on clearance for $900 at best buy 4 years ago. an i7 with 9 gigs of RAM for under $1k is a great deal today let alone 4 years ago. I mentioned it because I don't know if their are issues with some of AMD's processors, since Alwaysanewb said he's having issues and I don't experience the same thing. Usually that means it's hardware related, and I was throwing out possibilities. Benchmarking is mostly bogus anyway. You can look at stats and benchmark scores all day, and at the end of it, all that matter is the quality of the music. I rarely see xruns, and run ardour for 6-8 hours without crash most sessions. I've had 4 AMD systems in the 2000's, and none of them lasted more than 2 years. Always burned out the motherboard on them(not doing anything different than I do today, no overclocking or anything crazy) and I still have a couple pentium II late 90's computers that still boot! I can only give you my experience, and hope that people with different setups achieve the same results! (And yes, Snap is trying to tell you that Intel Xeon server processors are great for audio! Especially for linux since they were designed for servers, and intel knew what OS 95% of server farms use.)
Snap
Established Member

Post by Snap »

AFAIK there are no issues with AMD processors in Linux. Or not more than with Intel ones. GPUs are a different story. It seems the AMD GPU support is weak these days. Nvidia is the way to go for new builds, just the opposite not a long time ago.
TVu
Established Member

Post by TVu »

:twisted: I seem to be approaching this ass-backwards.

The audio applications I'm now most-comfortable with, and the sound hardware I'm driving (a pair of Edirol DA2496s), needed an -RT kernel (plus patching to support the wordclock sync jumper between the two cards). At the time I got the system, I compared Ubuntu Studio 12.04-3-LTS against 13.10, opting to build the next-higher -rt patch for the latter. Having now "field tested" that, Cadence and Carla are the obvious missing applications

I didn't have that system in-use for a while, chuckled at the expected mess for the first 14.04 release; but - not wanting to wait for 14.04-1, and as I've mucked about a bit too-much - I'm starting with Ubuntu Studio 14.04, bringing it fully up-to-date and building an -RT kernel. Only then adding the kxstudio repo onto that. So ...

Code: Select all

tvu1404@studio$ uname -a
Linux studio 3.14.3+full-preempt-rt5 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Wed Jun 25 21:43:37 BST 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
I've got tacking -RT patches onto kernel source down to a handful of commands, I just really, really want to be able to use the 10-point touch monitor I've got fully within my audio applications so probably need to dance around the bleeding edge for a bit. :twisted: