Some smarter filtering stuff

Practical tips for recording, editing, and mastering.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nick87720z
Established Member

Some smarter filtering stuff

Post by nick87720z »

I have some tracks, where i need to remove percussion. Currently the only way i found is to completely cut low spectrum part in audacity, detecting margin in spectral display mode. However, some things to remove are intermixed by spectrum with what i need to leave (very slow ambient part), and with ambient overtones it is seems for me to be almost impossible to remove with what i found:
1. Audacity tutorial, how to remove percussion - it just splited stereo track to 2 mono and substracted second from first after some equalization of second. No idea, how it may work in my case.
2. Another video with pro-tools, where necessary parts where cut. Same problem - highpass percussion parts still present.

- I guess, it should be possible to detect relatively fast changes in spectrum, which could be even extracted (if possible - subtracted) from origin to separate track or optionally.
- Detection of slower flyby spectral parts could be done by searching of frequencies with same change speed as specified by user. If some narrow spectral area changes width (between noise and single frequency), than in graphical representation it could be detected as single object rather, than infinite frequency set.
- In addition to second special search may be done for overtones and other frequencies with arbitrary relation, which could be related to another spectral object.

Probably, it could require special graphic spetrum editor, about which i asked much earlier, but would be good any effects, implementing some part of that.

p.s. There is still dozens of ladspa/lv2 plugins, which i still have to learn.
varpa
Established Member

Re: Some smarter filtering stuff

Post by varpa »

Maybe this software can help: http://isse.sourceforge.net/
nick87720z
Established Member

Post by nick87720z »

Thanks, I finally got it. But when i try to open some file (tried flac and wav), it says "Failed to open file...", and in log are kbuildsycoca4 "errors" (which for me are just warnings, and usually not a problem) about missing semicolon in desktop files - non-compliance with XDG standards.
I have some point, what JUCE is, so it is strange for me. Even if it uses kdialog, it just returns selected path(s) to stdout (btw, its KDialog word in caption, which is app name, may be changed with proper kde-specific option, from --help-kde list).
Joermungand
Established Member

Post by Joermungand »

I have just built the latest git version (0.2.1) and I get the same error trying to open files – whether they are sound files or ISSE projects. Judging from the error message it displays, apparently the warning messages get inserted into the file-path string – hence the failure, since the path is incorrect. I’m on 64-bit Archlinux, running XFCE. Dragging and dropping audio files onto the interface opens them. Not the same with projects, though.
lucianodato
Established Member

Post by lucianodato »

Wow didn't know that software! Wicked awesome!
Arguy (IRC)
Joermungand
Established Member

Post by Joermungand »

Back with further info. I’ve managed to bypass the file-open issue by what is obviously a dirty hack (changed a line of code in the JUCE file responsible for the issue so it should use the JUCE dialog instead of the system dialog; I know there are better solutions, I just wanted to get over it for the time being). I'm no better off opening projects, though, since the application loads both CPU cores to 100% and the whole system freezes. Will investigate further.
lucianodato
Established Member

Post by lucianodato »

I'm able to open any wav file using File->New
Arguy (IRC)
nick87720z
Established Member

Post by nick87720z »

One time i tried Spek, but did not notice, that it can save result to image. So, first step is solved.
TODO: Would be nice some filter, using image as difference to apply.
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

varpa wrote:Maybe this software can help: http://isse.sourceforge.net/
What clever-looking stuff!

Sadly, I have fallen flat on my face, not even at the first hurdle, but right at the start :oops: .

Whilst even a fool like me can type $ make ...and quite often even find and get the things reported as missing, maybe my basic ignorance os of git. I don't know what folders to download and how to combine them :oops: :oops:

If only it was a tar file with a simple directory tree in it!
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

Thad E Ginathom wrote:If only it was a tar file with a simple directory tree in it!
What's the problem? Pull everything inside a build directory which you should create and do usual

Code: Select all

make configure
make
sudo make install
while having your evening tea or beer. If there's a problem with deps, the confugure utility's gonna tell it to you immediately. Note that building from source code requires to install development packages for software and libs used in aplication compiled, so don't forget to install them instead of apps and libs themselves if

Code: Select all

make configure
says that some lib is missing.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.