Jamin Setup in Ardour3

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

aeb105
Established Member

Jamin Setup in Ardour3

Post by aeb105 »

1)Trying to get the Jack Routing right. Jamin appears to have the sound coming thru, but I can't control song from Jamin like fast forward, reverse stop, pause. I can use the equalizer, limiter boost etc no problem. See attached photos of routing in Ardour 3 and let me know if its right..

2)After the above is setup, I wanna record the mastered song to a new track. How do I setup the new track to record to? Just Jamin inputs in? Or insert in? or...
Attachments
JaminOut.png
JaminOut.png (24.93 KiB) Viewed 1861 times
JAMinInsert.png
JAMinInsert.png (22.19 KiB) Viewed 1861 times
aeb105
Established Member

Re: Jamin Setup in Ardour3

Post by aeb105 »

Nobody uses Jamin?
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

The routing is right but where is the insert?

Assuming it is in the master bus, just add a new stereo track and connect the master outputs to its inputs so you can record "what you hear". Jamin is already inserted in the audio chain so you don't have to connect anything else to/from it.
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

just patch the outputs of jammin to the inputs of a new stereo track. simple
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Hi Pablo,

This is the insert that you see in the graphics. Wondering if thats correct? And then I guess I would do the outs like above on this insert.
Attachments
Screenshot-Port Insert insert 1.png
Screenshot-Port Insert insert 1.png (26.36 KiB) Viewed 1838 times
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Hi aeb105,

No, that's not correct. The screenshots in the OP were correct. Regarding insert and jamin don't make any more connections than what you showed there. The question is: where did you add the insert in the mixer window? Assuming the insert is in the master bus (it should be there normally) to record the mastered track connect the master outputs to the new stereo track inputs.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Yes my mistake I didn't have Jamin open when I took that. The insert is in the Master bus correct. But looking again at the screenshot up a couple posts above,, the Send Output is correct, but is the Return Input screenshot as well? Having both seems to create a sound on top of sound and maybe some feedback. So I just use the Return Input and then output the Master Outs like in the picture below of the stereo record track? See the level spike and feedback.with this too?
Attachments
RecordTrack.png
RecordTrack.png (113.53 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

But looking again at the screenshot up a couple posts above,, the Send Output is correct, but is the Return Input screenshot as well?
Yes
Having both seems to create a sound on top of sound and maybe some feedback.
Very probably, jamin outputs are connected to the system playbacks and this causes the problem you describe. However, you can't see this in ardour.
Use an external-to-ardour jack audio connections manager (for example, qjackctl's connection window) to disconnect anything to / from jamin that is not the following (as you showed in the original post)
Insert outs to jamin ins
jamin ins to insert outs

You made the above patching in ardour but you will also see it in qjackctl. Again and above all, you don't want jamin outs to system playbacks!

On the other hand, jamin is a bit of a beast. Use with caution.

And record the mastered track to a new stereo track, not to a mono track as you show above.

Cheers! Pablo
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

aeb105 wrote:Nobody uses Jamin?
I think by now most people are using plug-ins instead of Jamin.
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

I almost forgot:

When you create a track, its output ports are automatically connected to the master inputs.
Of course, you have to undo this connection when you add the new stereo track.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

AutoStatic wrote:
aeb105 wrote:Nobody uses Jamin?
I think by now most people are using plug-ins instead of Jamin.
I still use Jamin. I do songs like this:

- Feed Rosegarden's or Qtractor's stereo mix into Audacity and record it
- Have Audacity play the stereo track, feed it to Jamin and record Jamin's output in a new stereo track

Works fine and I don't need the CPU power to run the sequencer with its plugins AND Jamin.

What plugins do you use for mastering?

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Pablo wrote:
But looking again at the screenshot up a couple posts above,, the Send Output is correct, but is the Return Input screenshot as well?
Yes
Having both seems to create a sound on top of sound and maybe some feedback.
Very probably, jamin outputs are connected to the system playbacks and this causes the problem you describe. However, you can't see this in ardour.
Use an external-to-ardour jack audio connections manager (for example, qjackctl's connection window) to disconnect anything to / from jamin that is not the following (as you showed in the original post)
Insert outs to jamin ins
jamin ins to insert outs

You made the above patching in ardour but you will also see it in qjackctl. Again and above all, you don't want jamin outs to system playbacks!

On the other hand, jamin is a bit of a beast. Use with caution.

And record the mastered track to a new stereo track, not to a mono track as you show above.

Cheers! Pablo
Pablo,

So I have disconnected from System Playbacks as instructed. Now I want to clarify this last point.........Do you mean Jamin Outs to Insert Ins. Like here in the graphic below. Because there is a doubling of everything and feedback with this scenario. I have attached Patchage as well for you to verify. Thx
Attachments
Patchage.png
Patchage.png (126.85 KiB) Viewed 1812 times
Jaminouts.png
Jaminouts.png (99.73 KiB) Viewed 1812 times
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Do you mean Jamin Outs to Insert Ins.
Yes
Like here in the graphic below.
No. There is a connection to insert_audio_return that doesn't come from jamin. I can't see clearly where it comes from but you have to disconnect that.

Please, send the patchage image again but split ardour's ins and outs (right-click on the ardour box patchage and split) so connections can be seen clearly.

Also, confirm that "WR7_session" is the original track. Is Audio1 the new track for recording the mastered audio?

Then, I will do some image editing to help you out.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Yes WR7 session is the original track. And audio 1 is the new track. I attached what I thought you wanted. Let me know if I can make it better.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (113.91 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

I hope it is clear enough this time,

Cheers! Pablo
dibujo.png
dibujo.png (140.45 KiB) Viewed 1799 times