Ardour noob question

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

SuperPenguin
Established Member

Ardour noob question

Post by SuperPenguin »

Hey guys. Ok, what I'm trying to figure out (might be similar to http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=866) is in regards to multi-track recording and playback. Here's the skinny;

Did a track in Hydrogen, jacked it over to ardour on a track called drums1 (it's a stereo channel, non tape). Now I wanted to mic my guitar through my mixer and straight into my audiophile 24/96 on a new track called guitar 1 (stereo, non tape). So I set up a new connection in jack patchbay, disconnect hydrogen from ardour since I don't need it anyways, and head back to ardour. my drum channel picks up my guitar instead. The guitar1 track has no activity. That's my first issue.

So I move the drums over to the guitar1 channel, unarm it, armed the now empty drums1 channel (since it hears my guitar anyways) and started to record. Oddly enough, it's recording both my guitar and the drums over on the guitar1 channel all on one track. I just wanted to get playback from the drums. This is my second issue.

So I'm wondering if I missed something in terms of ardour and assigning the inputs/outputs, or if it has something to do with both channels being stereo. If I went mono on both, would this make any difference? Basically, I'm at a loss here. The whole linux daw environment is very new to me (desktop linux user for years though).. perhaps someone could demystify my confusion a bit? Thanks in advance :D
open sourced & creative commons licensed album in the works!
follow the progress at http://dissentiate.com
GarryO
Established Member

Re: Ardour noob question

Post by GarryO »

Hi, SuperPenguin.

In the Ardour mixer screen click on the input button on the track you want to record your guitar.
set this to the first two input channels - that is, the same as those used on the drum track.
for me this would be system -> capture_1 & capture_2.

you might consider doing this:

in Ardour go: Options -> Autoconnect -> Manually connect inputs.
and: Options -> Autoconnect -> Auto connect outputs to master bus

also deselect Auto-input ( button top centre-ish )
then you'll know where your inputs are coming from, because you'll have to set them yourself.

( I guess what has happened is that the guitar track has been assigned the next two available inputs after those used for hydrogen, but your guitar is inputting to the same channels as hydrogen )

hope this helps,
GarryO
SuperPenguin
Established Member

Post by SuperPenguin »

I will try that when I get home tonight. I like the idea of ardour doing some of the heavy lifting until I get more accustomed to how things work. Do the captures match the outputs from the sound card? What I mean is, when I look at my sound card in the envy24control gui and it lists a ton of channels for output, are they numerically matching with the captures in ardour?
GarryO
Established Member

Post by GarryO »

Do the captures match the outputs from the sound card? What I mean is, when I look at my sound card in the envy24control gui and it lists a ton of channels for output, are they numerically matching with the captures in ardour?
I'm using a M-audio delta 44 with 4 inputs and these definitely correspond to capture_1 thru capture_4.

Envy24control - monitor inputs - is another way of checking what is coming from where.

best wishes, GarryO.
SuperPenguin
Established Member

Post by SuperPenguin »

Excellent! I think that right there is going to help me really unlock what I'm doing. If I can be sure of what's routing where, then troubleshooting gets much easier to manage. Thank you very much :D