Ardour 2.8 is out with VST support (please donate)

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

studio32

Ardour 2.8 is out with VST support (please donate)

Post by studio32 »

Last edited by studio32 on Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
studio32

Re: Ardour 2.8 is out with VST support (please donate)

Post by studio32 »

http://www.gvst.co.uk/

These vst seems to run well. So if you want to test ardourvst

see also
http://ardour.org/building_vst_support
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

also if any of y'all are guitarist and uses vst, these run well with dssi-vst and fst(ardourvst)...

http://requietus.blogspot.com/
simta
Established Member

Post by simta »

its a pity its not easier to build with vst support on 64-bit systems.
HP laptop 1.6GHz dual core 2gig ram
Ubuntu 8.10 + Fedora 10
Tascam US-428
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

this ardourvst is very unstable... no difference from other versions built with vst support... It freezes, crashes, etc. Personally, I was just testing it as I've been working my way off vst since I figured out how to use jconv.....
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

I have not tested ardourvst yet, but I can give it a try at some point. I am systematically using ardour2 svn w/o VST.

I had a go at ardour-3.0 with VST though, since I was curious about the MIDI capability. This is not ready for mass release ... :lol: It crashed after a simple MIDI file import.

On a more "philosophical" level, I really dislike this VST stuff, even though I am happy to use some VSTi's for my work. The VST SDK per se is not the real issue, the real crap is the use of win32 binaries under wine. Wine is not RT safe at all, and running a foreign platform's binary piece is plain disgusting :lol: It is bound to be an endless source of "pain" for linux musicians.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

yeah, that's one of the reasons I stopped using vst with linux...
That could be a blow in the long run for linux as a DAW..
simta
Established Member

Post by simta »

well personally speaking the RT issue doesn't matter too much to me, vst(i) support is more essential. although i use them sparingly, the native instruments in lmms are powerful once you scratch beneath their surface. sometimes a particular vsti just has "that" sound that you want so i'm glad i can use them reliably.

[quote=thorgal]running a foreign platform's binary piece is plain disgusting[/quote]

yeah its not great, but its the only non-free software on my comp aside from nvidia drivers. i do think it is worth making sure we do make vst(i) support as good as possible on linux. for traditional musicians ardour is there, its a robust and powerful program that does everything you need. for electronic musicians linux DAW's are not quite there yet (this doesn't mean you can't produce good music using the software available) . in this field i do think lmms surpasses ardour, but for all DAW's under linux particularly those aimed at electronic music production vst(i) is a massive issue and something i am glad is being worked on by everyone
Ubuntu 8.10 + Fedora 10
Tascam US-428
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

lmms works well with alsa but not jack... Compile without vst support and it works with jack...well on my OS(Archlinux).
Linux has tons of really good sounding synths but maybe 3 good guitar apps.
I do some work with a hip-hop artist and LMMS is my baby for that because I just produce the beats.

For my stuff, I use Hydrogen for drums, for guitar I run my Peavey preamp-out>>soundcard>>jconv>>ardour or guitarix>>jconv>>ardour.
For bass, soundfonts with my 2Audigy.
I've tried the caps plugins but the sound doesn't come close to the vst amp plugins. They sound like the real thing while caps needs EQ, Comp, etc. to try to come close.
Ardour maybe the life line for Linux to grow in the DAW world...
Also, dssi-vst seems more stable than fst... Qtractor and Rosegarden runs vsts pretty good.
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

I don't disagree with you Simta, since for me, VST is not the problem. To my mind, the issue consists in trying to emulate the runtime environment of a completely different OS so that VST binaries compiled for that OS can run in linux. Considering the sensitivity of the linux RT environment, this is some geekish wizardry that will only cause pain if you completely rely on VSTs for your work and you happen to use linux. Of course, you may be lucky enough with a few VSTs that will turn out very stable (my case). The only real and long term solution is to have all these VSTs compiled in linux. I don't see any other workaround ... OR use a windows box and netjack, with a light speed network communication that is yet to be invented :D
simta
Established Member

Post by simta »

yeah thats a massive problem thorgal, its because of that situation that lmms crazily can't run native linux vst's as its been so geared towards being compatible with the huge number of windows-based vst(i)'s.

@funkmuscle - ardour is more than a lifeline for traditional multitrack recording studio work, its there and its good. personally i think lmms is leading that way for electronic music production, but even though its very good it still has a way to go to really compete whereas ardour can compete with a protools setup.

i only used an early version of qtractor so don't know how that functions at the mo, so can't really comment on that.

EDIT : just looked at version 0.40 and its a bit of a mission to compile with vst support
Ubuntu 8.10 + Fedora 10
Tascam US-428
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

yeah, that's one of the reasons I stay away from the big OSs like Ubuntu, Fedora, etc...
I just go to the Archlinux community repo or the unsupported repo and 90% of linux are there so I run the install script and bingo.
I had no issue with installing jconv or qtractor. Just had to sometimes change the version.

Like for instance, Ardourvst was not available at the time(it was a day later in the repo after it's release) so I edit the script to the lateset version and I was up and running.

I think I'll just run Ardour2-2.8.1... vsts are great but a pain for me on linux... I just emailed a few vst developers to see if porting or open sourcing theirs apps is possible.
simta
Established Member

Post by simta »

well unfortunately i'm not at the stage of knowing any other linux o/s apart from ubuntu well enough to have it as my stable production partition.
Ubuntu 8.10 + Fedora 10
Tascam US-428
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

yeah, well Ubuntu is #1 so you can't go too wrong with it... what I did was try many until I found one that fit.
simta
Established Member

Post by simta »

well just the distro i used first so i know it best, but i use my 2nd partition to try out others, and arch has been on my list for a while.
Ubuntu 8.10 + Fedora 10
Tascam US-428