LMMS 0.9.9 RC2

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

dednikko
Established Member

LMMS 0.9.9 RC2

Post by dednikko »

The new release has dramatically improved its automation and filter behaviors.

The overall look is far more polished.

There are a couple of new integrated synths.

It opened my old projects fasted and without any issue.

(They finally updated the ladspa Calf plugins, which were available thanks to some of the people on this board. <___False, not updated as of 2-26-2014, I was making it up /=)

Hey GMaq, I know you just added the .4.15 stable to the ftp, but when this goes to 1.0 would you consider adding the new version?
Last edited by dednikko on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Think like a gun.
GMaq
Established Member

Re: LMMS 0.9.9 RC2

Post by GMaq »

Hi dednikko,

If 1.0 still builds for me I would be happy to!
diizy
Established Member

Post by diizy »

We still have a couple of bugs to resolve before pushing out 1.0.0. Anyone who'd like to help us with those (or even just help with testing and file bug reports) is of course welcome to join in on the fun!

About the Calf plugins, I don't think we've actually updated them yet... I've been meaning to look into it though, I'd like to get them updated for 1.0.0.

We do have some other cool things, like a couple of new native effects with graphical GUIs...

Screenshots!

diizy
Established Member

Post by diizy »

falkTX wrote:I still hope LMMS gets LinuxVST support sometime soon.
LMMS is limited to internal synths/fx right now (for those that don't want to dig into Wine, it's a messy business down there...)
You'd of course be entirely welcome to offer help with implementing LinuxVST support... ;)
dednikko
Established Member

Post by dednikko »

diizy wrote:...
About the Calf plugins, I don't think we've actually updated them yet... I've been meaning to look into it though, I'd like to get them updated for 1.0.0.
*Hangs head in shame*

I saw that being discussed on the forums and I thought I saw that it was implemented. Darn lack of sleep!

I will be using it pretty heavily, so I'll be happy to give any feedback I have.

Now I don't know anything about coding, but is there any way that we can prioritize native linuxVSTs being added? Who has the ability? Where do we pay them?

I would ask for LV2, but I know the inherent issues with that format would be a bit of a roadblock.

Anyhow, I'm off to test!
Think like a gun.
diizy
Established Member

Post by diizy »

dednikko wrote:
diizy wrote:...
*Hangs head in shame*

I saw that being discussed on the forums and I thought I saw that it was implemented. Darn lack of sleep!

I will be using it pretty heavily, so I'll be happy to give any feedback I have.

Now I don't know anything about coding, but is there any way that we can prioritize native linuxVSTs being added? Who has the ability? Where do we pay them?

I would ask for LV2, but I know the inherent issues with that format would be a bit of a roadblock.

Anyhow, I'm off to test!
Who has the ability is anyone who knows how the unholy mess that is VST actually works. I don't personally know that part of the codebase, I mostly deal with UI code and some simple DSP.

I don't know if anyone is working on it yet, in any case it's not something that will be seriously considered until after 1.0.0 has been released.
mrbumpy409
Established Member

Post by mrbumpy409 »

Wow, this version is much improved! I can finally load projects that use the TAL-Noisemaker VST, and it's nice to see the SF2 player MIDI input bug fixed :)

The only bug I ran into was two TripleOscillator presets that have the MIDI input velocity set to 1, which makes them inaudible when used with a MIDI keyboard. I filed a bug report: https://sourceforge.net/p/lmms/bugs/574/

Can't wait for the final release!
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

Greetings,

Just a note to say that the GUI improvements look great !

Time to check out LMMS again. :)

Best,

dp
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Undo?
diizy
Established Member

Post by diizy »

danboid wrote:Undo?
Not for 1.0.0, I'm afraid. We have undo/redo support in a separate branch, but it hasn't been properly tested with the current codebase. We discussed including it for 1.0.0, but it was decided that doing so would delay the release too much, so it was decided to postpone undo support until after 1.0.0.
StudioDave wrote:Just a note to say that the GUI improvements look great !

Time to check out LMMS again. :)
Thanks! Hope you'll enjoy the new version. The current latest git head is already pretty stable and works very well in my experience, just a couple of small things left to be fixed.
diizy
Established Member

Post by diizy »

mrbumpy409 wrote:Wow, this version is much improved! I can finally load projects that use the TAL-Noisemaker VST, and it's nice to see the SF2 player MIDI input bug fixed :)

The only bug I ran into was two TripleOscillator presets that have the MIDI input velocity set to 1, which makes them inaudible when used with a MIDI keyboard. I filed a bug report: https://sourceforge.net/p/lmms/bugs/574/

Can't wait for the final release!
We don't use Sourceforge for development anymore, as we have migrated all development to Github. I'd appreciate it if you could file your bug report in our Github issue tracker, where it's more likely to get noticed.

https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues?state=open
mrbumpy409
Established Member

Post by mrbumpy409 »

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@diizy

Hats off for the much needed work on LMMS, it will be great to see it closer to realizing it's obvious potential. 8)

Asking as a maintainer using a mature distro as a base will the build dependencies be changing? I've always enjoyed how cleanly and easily the 0.4.X versions have compiled and hope that this will continue.
diizy
Established Member

Post by diizy »

GMaq wrote:@diizy

Hats off for the much needed work on LMMS, it will be great to see it closer to realizing it's obvious potential. 8)

Asking as a maintainer using a mature distro as a base will the build dependencies be changing? I've always enjoyed how cleanly and easily the 0.4.X versions have compiled and hope that this will continue.
Thanks for the hats :)

Well, hope you won't be too disappointed - there are some new dependencies, this is mostly due to us cleaning our codebase and getting rid of some 3rd party libs. They're all libs that should be found in the repositories of pretty much all modern distros, so it shouldn't be too big of a hurdle.

From memory: at least FLTK, libfontconfig and libsamplerate are now needed as external deps.
diizy
Established Member

Post by diizy »

I'm happy to say we're down to 9 release-critical issues: https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/issues?mil ... state=open

The 1.0 release is getting closer...