MidiCC with physical knob in midi sequencer

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

rastagallo
Established Member

MidiCC with physical knob in midi sequencer

Post by rastagallo »

Hi!
I have a big problem that's affecting my whole workflow...

How do I link a midiCC in Qtractor to control an external jack-ware application?
The goal is to control windows-vst that supports the "midi learn" function...

For example:
I have a Trigger Finger
I'm using a VST with Festige (es: Massive)
I want to move the digital knob on my trigger finger to change the amplitude value, and I want qTractor memorize that, so that I can change it in the future.
How can this be done?

Thanks for your replies!
rncbc
Established Member

Re: MidiCC with physical knob in midi sequencer

Post by rncbc »

rastagallo wrote:I want to move the digital knob on my trigger finger to change the amplitude value, and I want qTractor memorize that, so that I can change it in the future.
How can this be done?
you can only automate and/or assign a MIDI controller to a plugin's knob or parameter *iif* the plugin is inserted in a qtractor track. IOW. if the plugin is hosted on anything else but qtractor itself you're out of luck--in general this is true for *any* plugin host, any platform, provided it features automation and assignable/mappable/learnable MIDI controls.

however, if the host or the plugin in particular can do MIDI controller assignment or mapping on its own (eg. aka. MIDI learn), you can always resort to so called "poor man's automation": use a separate but regular MIDI track to record, edit and replay MIDI control events as a performance sequence (ie. a MIDI clip in qtractor parlance) and connect it to the intended host/plugin MIDI. voilá.

hth.
cheers
rastagallo
Established Member

Post by rastagallo »

So, here's another question:

How I assign a knob in my controller to the value that qTractor accepts in its internal synth?

And could you explain me how to use a midi clip to control the automations?
I figured it out that I can use the midi clip modulation proprieties, so I can write manually the automations, but this makes the whole physical midi thing useless...

Thanks for the replies :D
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

rastagallo wrote:So, here's another question:

How I assign a knob in my controller to the value that qTractor accepts in its internal synth?
what internal synth? qtractor has no internal synths.

though, you can access any of a plugin parameter and assign it a specific MIDI controller or automation. Note that these concepts are related but not one and the same. there's a) track automation and then there's b) MIDI controller mapping of plugin parameters.

while on a plugin's generic properties dialog you can access the later b) by pulling down the plugin context-menu, select Properties... the generic plugin dialog appears and then right-click on the intended parameter slider and choose "MIDI Controller...". voilá :)
rastagallo wrote:And could you explain me how to use a midi clip to control the automations?
I figured it out that I can use the midi clip modulation proprieties, so I can write manually the automations, but this makes the whole physical midi thing useless...
please note that it's plain MIDI data that you edit as any other musical sequencing performance but you're just using MIDI controller events (eg. MIDI CC#1 - Modulation Wheel) to feed into the synth as plain MIDI notes would be--that is NOT qtractor's native track automation like you can do for any plugin parameter; instead it's plain MIDI data that you may edit on the regular MIDI clip editor.

now, whether the synth instrument will react to those events is its own business, not qtractor's :) as said, the synth MUST allow to assign arbitrary MIDI controller events to the desired parameters (knob, slider, whatever) for that all to work as you wish.

hth.
cheers