youtube sound

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

oNNogitaar
Established Member

youtube sound

Post by oNNogitaar »

How could i setup that if there is music on a website it will play through my soundcard? (i guess i have to tell Firefox to send the sound to my Audiofire device)
Thank you!
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Re: youtube sound

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

As you have posted this under KXStudio, I assume that you are using KXStudio, and that you control jack with cadence.

In cadence, in the JACK Bridges section, ALSA Audio, select Bridge type "ALSO->Loop->JACK" Click the nearby Start button (Start JACK first if not already started).

You can review the connections using the Catia patch panel if necessary, but now any software that ouptuts sound to ALSA, including Firefox (and other browsers?) is now bridged to JACK ...and you can hear your YouTube sounds.

If you are not using KXStudio/Cadence/Catia/Jack, then the simplicity of this might be one very good reason why you should be :)
oNNogitaar
Established Member

Post by oNNogitaar »

Thad E Ginathom wrote:I assume that you are using KXStudio
yep i am :wink:
Thad E Ginathom wrote:In cadence, in the JACK Bridges section, ALSA Audio, select Bridge type "ALSO->Loop->JACK" Click the nearby Start button
thank you! that works fine.
Cheers :D
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

It's a pleasure :)
oNNogitaar
Established Member

Post by oNNogitaar »

it seized to work :?
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Oh dear.

Well, I can't claim to have never had any glitches or trouble, but it has been a major part of my music listening for some time now.

Any details of the seizing? Looks like you'll need the man himself... falkTX...
habbe
Established Member

Post by habbe »

Thad E Ginathom wrote:As you have posted this under KXStudio, I assume that you are using KXStudio, and that you control jack with cadence.
In cadence, in the JACK Bridges section, ALSA Audio, select Bridge type "ALSO->Loop->JACK" Click the nearby Start button (Start JACK first if not already started).
Why not use the pulseaudio bridge? That is the third bridge type, the lowest row.
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Yes, there are other bridging options. I believe that the falkTX recommendation is the loop.

"Works for me" is the most useless possible answer, but it does. More detail needed...

Is alsa2jack there in Catia? Is it connected to your interface output? Are there any dubious-looking entries in the log?
oNNogitaar
Established Member

Post by oNNogitaar »

it works again...
I did not even have to start the Jack bridges section :?
Eh, i am in Cadence, i installed KXstudio and changed nothing so all programms are the ones preintalled in 12.4.3(i believe)
¨Pulseaudio is not installed¨
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

I still have some problems autostarting cadence/JACK with firewire. I also alternate between a Firewire interface and a USB DAC, depending on what I'm doing, so I always start up manually. However, If I remember rightly, if you select to "Autostart JACK" then the system remembers what bridges you were using and starts them up to.

Glad it is on the go again.
oNNogitaar
Established Member

Post by oNNogitaar »

Thad E Ginathom wrote:if you select to "Autostart JACK" then the system remembers what bridges you were using and starts them up to.
well, not here...
It is broken again, restart does not help. I can playback local files (SMPlayer) but no youtube clips (Firefox, sound not working)
Apears to be a random problem. (bug?)
oNNogitaar
Established Member

Post by oNNogitaar »

my sound card is an Echo Audiofire 12, i am on 12.4.3, the processor is a Intel i7 3.3GHz 4 Cores 8 Threads, it has Ti Firewire 400 3 ports
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

I'm on an Echo Audiofire2 ...so our differences should be ones of scale only.

I have had all kinds of odd problems, like having to unplug and reconnect the firewire cable --- but they have all been to do with getting the basic jack/firewire thing to work, none of them have resulted in part working and part not.

What are you using to play local files? Does it play direct to Jack or via ALSA?

(I also use a USB DAC (ODAC) and, althought the ALSA config has to be just right, I don't have any problems with that either)
oNNogitaar
Established Member

Post by oNNogitaar »

thank you for the input!
Thad E Ginathom wrote:I'm on an Echo Audiofire2
:D i think the AF's are cool, it is a huge pitty Echo's forum is dead.
Thad E Ginathom wrote:they have all been to do with getting the basic jack/firewire thing to work
i had a lot of issues too but since i have the TexasInstruments chipset most is cool. Under KX it works like a charm: 2.9ms of latency(without even tweaking) with NO x-runs at all, i have however not yet managed to get it satisfactory working under Trisquel. It runs but the x-runs apear like 10-20 per minute...
Thad E Ginathom wrote:What are you using to play local files?
the preintalled SMPlayer.
Thad E Ginathom wrote:Does it play direct to Jack or via ALSA?
i use the Cadence thingy, it is very cool realy. All is there in one suite. So i guess the answer is Jack Alsa audio bridge...
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

In Catia, when the ALSA bridge is started, do you see alsa2jack and jack2alsa in Catia, like this...

~