A more usable Non-Seq on Arch

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

AnthonyCFox
Established Member

A more usable Non-Seq on Arch

Post by AnthonyCFox »

I'm trying to get an older version of non-sequencer. I found this http://git.tuxfamily.org/non/non.git?p= ... 183742d85a
[EDIT: This is very broken. The most usable version is v1.9.3 which is easily built from the KxStudio tarball here: https://launchpad.net/~kxstudio-team/+a ... er=precise ]

It's v1.9.4, the KxStudio repo has v1.9.3 and that has worked pretty well for me. Is 1.9.4 basically the same? Am I going to have problems with gcc building this?

I'd just run .configure, make and make install but this is Arch. I haven't built any packages the "Arch Way" yet and if I'm going to start it'd be nice to have some confidence it's going to work out.

Any other suggestions to make this happen would be appreciated. I've tried deb2tgz and alien to convert the KxStudio .debs into Arch packages but that didn't make a PKGBUILD script and that is something I'm going to have to learn. I've got the binary but I don't know what to do with that. I found that non-daw (which is an older version of everything except non-seq) in the AUR is broken, though non-daw-git (current) builds fine.

I may have bitten off more than I can chew with this. I might have to just use Ardour or Qtractor or whatever and wait to see if non-seq gets fixed. I don't know. It's late. I should have stopped for the night two hours ago.
Last edited by AnthonyCFox on Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War, crime, disease, starvation, extreme poverty; these are serious things.
Music? Not so serious. Have some fun! :D
Joermungand
Established Member

Re: A more usable Non-Seq on Arch

Post by Joermungand »

Hi,

I’ve compiled that 1.9.4 version you indicated and it worked out fine. Here’s what you would need to put in your PKGBUILD file to make it work:

Code: Select all

pkgname=non-sequencer-1.9.4
_pkg="${pkgname}"
pkgver=1.9.4
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="a powerful real-time, pattern-based MIDI sequencer"
arch=("i686" "x86_64")
url="http://non.tuxfamily.org/"
license=("GPL2")
depends=("ntk-git" "libsigc++2.0" "jack" "liblo")
makedepends=("git")
provides=("$_pkg")
conflicts=("$_pkg")
source=("$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz::http://git.tuxfamily.org/non/non.git?p=non/non.git;a=snapshot;h=6d938e77a2013e02aab61e8574f6e3183742d85a;sf=tgz")
md5sums=('a5f18c67e7a180643baf378fea5301d5')

build() {
  cd "$srcdir/non-6d938e7"

./configure --prefix=/usr
  make
}

package() {
  cd "$srcdir/non-6d938e7"
  make DESTDIR="$pkgdir" install
}
It’s made after the one suggested on the AUR page for ‘non-sequencer-git’; rather sketchy and probably not in agreement with all recommendations, but it does its job (hell, it’s my first PKGBUILD ever – and not exactly rocket science at that).

On the other hand, is there a particular reason why you don’t want to use the non-daw-git or the non-suite-git package in AUR?
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

Oh jeez, I was tired last night... :roll:

Configure, make and make install worked fine. It looks slightly different from what's in the KxStudio repo and I haven't had a chance yet to put it through its paces yet, but if it doesn't work I'm sure I can build the package from the repo just as easily.

Joermungand - Hey. I hit submit on this comment and saw yours. That's cool you did that. The bugs that non-sequencer has in non-daw-git; in combination with the way the grid is drawn; make it less usable than even Ardour or Qtractor, neither of which I'm a fan of.

I'm going to spend some time with this version and see how it works. I'll let you know and, if you're into it, you could submit your PKGBUILD to AUR. Although, it might conflict with non-daw-git and, with the exception of non-sequencer, that package is great. I'm using it, I just have a symlink named non-seq to the older version of non-sequencer.
Joermungand
Established Member

Post by Joermungand »

I have a number of applications running on my system that were compiled using the traditional configure–make–make-install way – and I’ve never had any problem with those. I never even wondered about the Arch way, I was aware of that, but never bothered since I could get away with the other method.

As far as NON-sequencer goes, I’ve been sort of put off (and too lazy to inquire further) by its pattern-based approach. I’m more of a score person than I am a pattern person (although I’m mostly into Metal) and I find Ardour quite comfortable. Whatever MIDI I need (mostly drums) that I can’t do in Ardour, I use Rosegarden to write it.

As for the PKGBUILD, I don’t think it’s that much – only a translation of ‘configure–make–make install’ into makepkg language, nothing worth writing home about. If you think it is worthwhile, if more users might benefit, I could polish it and submit it to AUR, though. Just let me know what you think. Or you could submit it yourself – it’s not like I should own any copyright to that.
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

The problem I have with both ardour and qtractor is note values(qtractor) and/or placement(ardour) it's tedious trying to get exactly what I want. But, maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

I gave Ariamaestoso, which uses a score, another try and it struck me how beautifully compact and precise standard notation is. If I was going to learn to program it would be to fork aria and rip out it's front-end/hosting of fluidsynth/timidity and make it jack aware. Call it Jackmaestoso? Or maybe, Jackaria, that's easier to spell.

It's been years since I've tried Rosegarden, maybe I should give that another shot.
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

falkTX wrote:AriaMaestosa can already do JACK-MIDI. The KXStudio repos have it enabled.
That's weird, I have to use a2jmidid. All I see in the preferences is Linux Alsa.
falkTX wrote:The project could use a linux hand, I think you should consider speaking to the developer about joining forces.
I actually did talk to him last year about having the option to not use fluidsynth/timidity. I looked at the email exchange we had and I clearly didn't understand the concept of midi ports, but that was what I was trying to ask him for. Oh, and I just realized the developer is a "she". I'm going to email her and ask about jack on Linux. Maybe that will segue into a discussion about midi ports. Or, maybe they're already there.
falkTX wrote:Their latest source code release doesn't even seem to build on Linux...
I used AUR to get it from sourceforge and it built fine. Except for not seeing jack.
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

Cool, I'll see if I can understand that.

I did email the dev and told her about linuxmusicians.com, our shift away from the monolithic daw and how we see promise in Aria's place in this new paradigm. I also offered to help her anyway I could.
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

Well the dev responded and said
Jack is indeed a compile-time option. Simply add jack=1 when building. Please note that this is experimental and not all that well tested
Is there a way I can add that to the PKGBUILD?

Code: Select all

# Maintainer: Alexander Rødseth <rodseth@gmail.com>
# Contributor: Hilton Medeiros <medeiros.hilton AT gmail DOT com>
# Contributor: spider-mario <spidermario@free.fr>

pkgname=ariamaestosa
pkgver=1.4.8
pkgrel=3
pkgdesc='MIDI editor, player, tracker and composer'
arch=('x86_64' 'i686')
url='http://ariamaestosa.sourceforge.net/'
license=('GPL2')
depends=('wxgtk2.9' 'mesa' 'alsa-lib' 'hicolor-icon-theme' 'xdg-utils'
         'desktop-file-utils' 'webkitgtk2')
optdepends=('timidity++: for midi playback'
            'timidity-freepats: for midi playback')
makedepends=('scons' 'setconf')
install="$pkgname.install"
source=("http://downloads.sourceforge.net/$pkgname/AriaSrc-$pkgver.tar.bz2")
sha256sums=('fa961300d7a04a474bb6903604d6351aded1c9f2c86d6c29e20208f50be6b6a0')

prepare() {
  cd "$srcdir/AriaSrc-$pkgver"

mv Resources/Documentation Resources/score .
  #sed -i '/--rpath/d' SConstruct
  #sed -i 's:,webview::' SConstruct

setconf Freedesktop/Aria.desktop Exec "$pkgname"
  sed -i -e "/^Version/s:1.2.2:1.2.3:" -e "/^Icon/s:/local::" \
    Freedesktop/Aria.desktop
  setconf Freedesktop/Aria.desktop Icon "$pkgname"
}

build() {

scons \
    config=release \
    prefix="$pkgdir/usr" \
    WXCONFIG='/usr/bin/wx-config-2.9'
}

package() {

scons \
    config=release \
    prefix="$pkgdir/usr" \
    WXCONFIG='/usr/bin/wx-config-2.9' \
    install

# Packaging documentation
  mkdir -p "$pkgdir/usr/share/doc"
  cp -r Documentation "$pkgdir/usr/share/doc/$pkgname"
  cp -r score "$pkgdir/usr/share/Aria"

# Packaging desktop shortcut and icon
  install -Dm644 Freedesktop/Aria.desktop \
    "$pkgdir/usr/share/applications/Aria.desktop"
  install -m644 Freedesktop/*.png Freedesktop/*.xml "$pkgdir/usr/share/Aria/"
  install -Dm644 aria32.png \
    "$pkgdir/usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/$pkgname.png"
  install -Dm644 aria48.png \
    "$pkgdir/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/$pkgname.png"
  install -Dm644 aria48.png \
    "$pkgdir/usr/share/pixmaps/$pkgname.png"
  install -Dm644 aria64.png \
    "$pkgdir/usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps/$pkgname.png"
  install -Dm644 aria128.png \
    "$pkgdir/usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/$pkgname.png"

# Packaging license
  install -Dm644 license.txt "$pkgdir/usr/share/licenses/$pkgname/license.txt"

# Cleaning up
  mv "$pkgdir/usr/bin/Aria" "$pkgdir/usr/bin/$pkgname"
  mv "$pkgdir/usr/share/Aria" "$pkgdir/usr/share/$pkgname"
  mv "$pkgdir/usr/share/applications/Aria.desktop" \
    "$pkgdir/usr/share/applications/$pkgname.desktop"
}

# vim:set ts=2 sw=2 et:
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

Well, I think I might have guessed right where to put 'jack=1'. It didn't complain until what was probably near the end of the compile with "scons: *** [Src/Midi/Players/Jack/JackMidiManager.o] Error 1" and I saw a lot of -DUSE_JACK throughout the build. Then again, maybe I guessed wrong and that's why it failed?

How do I explain to her that it needs to be patched?

If I quote falkTX and include the link will that be enough for her to know what to do to fix the problem?
falkTX wrote:https://launchpad.net/~kxstudio-debian/ ... ian.tar.gz
It contains the build rules and patches used in kxstudio builds. The adjust-prefix and fix-desktop-prefix should be ignored.