Sneak Preview: LV2 Create

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member
Posts: 1046
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:48 pm

Re: Sneak Preview: LV2 Create

Postby j_e_f_f_g » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:55 am

New version. I renamed the Make page as "Save", and moved the compile/install buttons to a new "Compile" page. If you have the g++-multilib and gcc-multilib packages installed on your system, then you can create both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of your plugin (both LV2 and LADSPA) on one development system. Plus LV2 Create now makes a one-click multi-arch installer for your endusers. Click the Help button on the Compile page.

To enable the new features in your existing project, load your project. Go to the Save page and check the Makefile box. Click the Save button.

falken
Established Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:28 am

Re: Sneak Preview: LV2 Create

Postby falken » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:00 pm

hello guys and nice work Jeff!
Please, is there some LADSPA host/bridge to use LV2 plugins (by some generic mapping of GUI), for example in so great NonDAW as author dosnt like LV2 at all??
May be I am asking wrong, but sure you know what I mean. And also I am not linux guy in fact, yet...

Petr

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member
Posts: 1046
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:48 pm

Re: Sneak Preview: LV2 Create

Postby j_e_f_f_g » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:16 pm

falken wrote:is there some LADSPA host/bridge to use LV2 plugins


Not one i know of, but it's technically feasible.

But the source code differences between LV2 and LADSPA are trivial. If you have the LV2 source, the easiest thing to do is create an LADSPA from it. What LV2-only plugin are you interested in?

ssj71
Established Member
Posts: 1292
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:36 pm

Re: Sneak Preview: LV2 Create

Postby ssj71 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:16 pm

falken wrote:hello guys and nice work Jeff!
Please, is there some LADSPA host/bridge to use LV2 plugins (by some generic mapping of GUI), for example in so great NonDAW as author dosnt like LV2 at all??
May be I am asking wrong, but sure you know what I mean. And also I am not linux guy in fact, yet...

Petr


The easiest user way to do it is use non-session-manager to link Carla plugin host to your session and host the lv2 plugin there.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!

male
Established Member
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 5:45 pm

Re: Sneak Preview: LV2 Create

Postby male » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:52 pm

ssj71 wrote:
falken wrote:hello guys and nice work Jeff!
Please, is there some LADSPA host/bridge to use LV2 plugins (by some generic mapping of GUI), for example in so great NonDAW as author dosnt like LV2 at all??
May be I am asking wrong, but sure you know what I mean. And also I am not linux guy in fact, yet...

Petr


The easiest user way to do it is use non-session-manager to link Carla plugin host to your session and host the lv2 plugin there.


FTR, I would also be interested in knowing what LV2 (FX) plugins people think they can't do without. I use zero LV2 plugins in my own work and don't find it to be the slightest hinderance.
Image

tatch
Established Member
Posts: 662
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Sneak Preview: LV2 Create

Postby tatch » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:12 pm

male wrote:FTR, I would also be interested in knowing what LV2 (FX) plugins people think they can't do without. I use zero LV2 plugins in my own work and don't find it to be the slightest hinderance.


I like using lv2 plugins for their guis because I feel much more comfortable with visual feedback, especially seeing graphical EQs and compressor graphs.

male
Established Member
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 5:45 pm

Re: Sneak Preview: LV2 Create

Postby male » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:29 pm

tatch wrote:
male wrote:FTR, I would also be interested in knowing what LV2 (FX) plugins people think they can't do without. I use zero LV2 plugins in my own work and don't find it to be the slightest hinderance.


I like using lv2 plugins for their guis because I feel much more comfortable with visual feedback, especially seeing graphical EQs and compressor graphs.


I assume you're referring to the Calf plugins then. Well, I can't use logic against feelings. All I can say is that the the utility of such displays is as questionable as their accuracy is suspect ;-). I'd just like to note that there's no reason that a host couldn't provide such an interface for a ladspa plugin automatically if given the appropriate hints--without suffering from the integration and usability issues that plugin-provided GUIs entail.
Image

falken
Established Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:28 am

Re: Sneak Preview: LV2 Create

Postby falken » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:29 pm

@ssj71: thanks, ya, it seems I understood the modularity already from many forum posts here, its OK

@male: I completly agree that host-generated UI is perfect, having good metadata/discoverability from plugin (not knowing details); only pro-engineers out of this nice little linux things often want really overloaded graphics, driven by marketing and fruities :-(

PEtr

tatch
Established Member
Posts: 662
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Sneak Preview: LV2 Create

Postby tatch » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:02 am

male wrote:I assume you're referring to the Calf plugins then. Well, I can't use logic against feelings. All I can say is that the the utility of such displays is as questionable as their accuracy is suspect ;-).


I've actually wondered about the accuracy of the calf analyzer because its behavior seems a little strange, but the spectrum is useful as it is and better than *ahem* nothing. The calf compressor graph is accurate enough for me (it'd be even better if it provided a fabfilter-or-ableton-type graph). The calf EQ (and also eq10q, disappointingly) doesn't have a builtin analyzer that you can look to EQ off, but the way the knobs and buttons are organized is much more intuitive than most host-generated UIs I've seen (especially eq10q), and having the EQ laid out visually like that is helpful even without a builtin analyzer.

Also, if you mean to suggest that such graphical feedback is actually irrelevant and you "only need audio to edit audio", I disagree with you. For example, do you only need your eyes to accurately color correct video footage and stills? (The answer is no. Many editors use vectorgraphs that detail color information in the frame. Without that visual feedback it would take much longer to color correct as accurately as with it.) Try to find one relevant OS X/Windows DAW with a builtin EQ/compressor that does not offer some sort of visual information or frequency spectrum. The reason for that is not "because they want to smear their branding on everything", it's because visual feedback can be incredibly helpful and often time-saving. Here's a video demonstrating a very common scenario that would be much more difficult without being able to see a frequency spectrum.

I'd just like to note that there's no reason that a host couldn't provide such an interface for a ladspa plugin automatically if given the appropriate hints--without suffering from the integration and usability issues that plugin-provided GUIs entail.


I've seen people discussing this idea and I am entirely receptive to that possibility. But as far as I am aware it is still only talk; there are no hosts that currently do that and furthermore no plugins that try to. In the meanwhile, instead of waiting 3 years for that to happen and using feedback-deprived LADSPA plugins until then, I prefer the current LV2 offerings, even if they are lacking.

male
Established Member
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 5:45 pm

Re: Sneak Preview: LV2 Create

Postby male » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:04 am

tatch wrote:
male wrote:I assume you're referring to the Calf plugins then. Well, I can't use logic against feelings. All I can say is that the the utility of such displays is as questionable as their accuracy is suspect ;-).


I've actually wondered about the accuracy of the calf analyzer because its behavior seems a little strange, but the spectrum is useful as it is and better than *ahem* nothing. The calf compressor graph is accurate enough for me (it'd be even better if it provided a fabfilter-or-ableton-type graph). The calf EQ (and also eq10q, disappointingly) doesn't have a builtin analyzer that you can look to EQ off, but the way the knobs and buttons are organized is much more intuitive than most host-generated UIs I've seen (especially eq10q), and having the EQ laid out visually like that is helpful even without a builtin analyzer.



Layout is poor because hints are lacking. This is more room for improvement in the plugin API--not the plugins themselves. I think plugin authors would be happy to do anything that would allow hosts to provide a better interface.

tatch wrote:Also, if you mean to suggest that such graphical feedback is actually irrelevant and you "only need audio to edit audio", I disagree with you. For example, do you only need your eyes to accurately color correct video footage and stills? (The answer is no. Many editors use vectorgraphs that detail color information in the frame. Without that visual feedback it would take much longer to color correct as accurately as with it.) Try to find one relevant OS X/Windows DAW with a builtin EQ/compressor that does not offer some sort of visual information or frequency spectrum. The reason for that is not "because they want to smear their branding on everything", it's because visual feedback can be incredibly helpful and often time-saving. Here's a video demonstrating a very common scenario that would be much more difficult without being able to see a frequency spectrum.


There are plenty of tools to do this. I use Fons' jaaa a lot myself. But FWIW, I never look at histograms when editing photos and I only look at frequency plots when testing DSP code, not when actually making music or mixing. I'd think this would be true of anyone without severe hearing (or vision) loss. If you're tweaking things that no one can hear or see, you're just killing time. A justification by the relevance of anything on OS X/Windows is by its nature flawed. Free software doesn't (shouldn't) suffer from the same perverted incentives that cause things to be the way they are on those platforms.

I'd just like to note that there's no reason that a host couldn't provide such an interface for a ladspa plugin automatically if given the appropriate hints--without suffering from the integration and usability issues that plugin-provided GUIs entail.


tatch wrote:I've seen people discussing this idea and I am entirely receptive to that possibility. But as far as I am aware it is still only talk; there are no hosts that currently do that and furthermore no plugins that try to. In the meanwhile, instead of waiting 3 years for that to happen and using feedback-deprived LADSPA plugins until then, I prefer the current LV2 offerings, even if they are lacking.


Well, that's not entirely true... Some plugins do try, but there's nothing in the standard about it and the way they have tried has been in several ways inadequate (the CAPS plugins suite, for example, uses a non-standard method of hinting at named control port groups). Obviously a host can't auto generate a GUI for anything, but the most common wants of a graphical EQ or compressor curve are well within the realm of possibility.
Image

tramp
Established Member
Posts: 1411
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:13 am

Re: Sneak Preview: LV2 Create

Postby tramp » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:31 pm

male wrote:Layout is poor because hints are lacking. This is more room for improvement in the plugin API--not the plugins themselves. I think plugin authors would be happy to do anything that would allow hosts to provide a better interface.


That is exactly one of the reasons pro LV2,
http://lv2plug.in/wiki/WhyLV2
wiki/WhyLV2 wrote:While LADSPA has been quite successful with many plugins and hosts, it is quite limited and can't be extended without breaking existing implementations. LV2 in contrast is designed with extensibility in mind right from the start. Instead of a monolithic design that can only be improved by a central authority, new functionality (an "extension") can be added to LV2 by anyone, making distributed development of the plugin API itself possible.


Truly the open design leads to some obscure Extensions which makes live in the long term difficult, but that the way it is.
LV2 comes right now with a couple more of useful hint possibility, which allow host authors to skip support for Plug-in owns GUI's and provide usable internal UI's.

Have a look at MOD-host for example, which only provide internal (remote) UI's and use only LV2 plugs.
http://portalmod.com/en/index.html
On the road again.

tramp
Established Member
Posts: 1411
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:13 am

Re: Sneak Preview: LV2 Create

Postby tramp » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:46 pm

falkTX wrote:LV2 being extensible is very cool, but it doesn't always work.
Most plugins and hosts will only implement "official" extensions, and getting a random extension being accepted "officially" means you have to come with agreement with drobilla.

Well, but have you ever try to extent the LADSPA API ? It is simply impossible to get any extension into "official".
falkTX wrote:I made a custom lv2 extension myself because I felt something was missing, that is, plugin-side MIDI programs.
DSSI has it, VST has it, AU has it, my own (Carla) internal API has it too, and I believe it makes sense for LV2.
Currently the only code outside of my own that implements this custom extension is Qtractor, everyone else seems to be afraid to be a black sheep by using it or something...

So, even if someone designed an API for host-generated UIs, I worry it will be ignored for:
1. not being "official"
2. not doing things the lv2-way (using turtle mess)
3. disagreements on the API design


I guess most of the trouble about custom extensions exist because they didn't take care of the host implementation. That means, any plugin must be able to run without a custom GUI (remote control from elsewhere), the host need to receive any needed information to provide the functionality of the Plugin GUI by a internal UI. If a extension is implemented "official", it will be very, very hard to remove this support later, so it must be cleared that the extension in question didn't harm in the long run. I haven't look at your extension for now, still it is the first time I hear of it, so my words wasn't about your extension specially.
I guess you know it by yourself, a solution which seems today reasonable, may make you feel next year "ups, why was I so stupid" :lol:
So I didn't understand your arg about the "API for host-generated UIs", isn't that were all the turtle is about?
On the road again.

tramp
Established Member
Posts: 1411
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:13 am

Re: Sneak Preview: LV2 Create

Postby tramp » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:52 pm

falkTX wrote:I don't think LV2 does right. turtle data is static, and there are times we want dynamic.
this is why we don't have dynamic control ports right now.

Indeed, that is a burning point, and I agree that we need dynamic ports. But, it should be possible even with "static turtle data". Imagine, that the turtle data only be used to open/load a plug, when it is loaded, plug and host can communicate about such a request. This could be placed in the instantiate() call, so that additional ports could created before a plug run() to reflect a possible loaded sate.
I know, we haven’t such a extension jet, I just say it, because I mean it have less to do with turtle or not.
falkTX wrote:host-generated UIs will for sure need some dynamic widgets.
a combo-box might change the type of an analyzer, or different kinds of meters, etc.
I don't think static data would be a good choice for this.

mmm, the changes will be static, always the same action leads to the same change, that is static by my understand. The only question here is, have the host enough information about how to act on a special port value change,that is in the first point a question of Metadata, which will be static again, . . . and have the host the function to create the needed widget ( a plot or a meter, or what ever). Right now, we have the possibility to let the host know, that "this button" will open a file browser and request a file path in return. That is a step in this direction.
On the road again.

tramp
Established Member
Posts: 1411
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:13 am

Re: Sneak Preview: LV2 Create

Postby tramp » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:56 pm

falkTX wrote:what you are describing evolves "C structs and functions" instead of static data :wink:
a mix of static and dynamic data should work as you describe yes, but you still have to deal with hosts not supporting the extension


Well, that is the usual way how hosts and plugs communicate/interact, after the turtle is read, isn't it? :lol:
Plugins need to check if a extension is supported, host must checks if a plug will run with the provided extensions, and then they change information’s and start to work together with the help of some "C structs and functions". So no reason for drobilla "to punch you to death" :lol:
But, yea, I know as well it will be hard ride to get his "bless" for such a extension.

falkTX wrote:I've heard about this, but haven't seen it in action yet. Which plugins and hosts support this?

It's convolveLv2
https://github.com/x42/convoLV2
and it's supported in jalv.
On the road again.

tramp
Established Member
Posts: 1411
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:13 am

Re: Sneak Preview: LV2 Create

Postby tramp » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:26 pm

read here:
http://drobilla.net/2013/01/10/host-gen ... -choosers/
drobilla wrote:When host support becomes established, we can also move towards using messages for numeric parameters, which will finally allow for dynamic parameters, control ramps, and so on.
On the road again.


Return to “Developer's Section”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests