Unable to make connections to jack capture

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Walnutcracker
Established Member

Unable to make connections to jack capture

Post by Walnutcracker »

I'm wondering if anyone knows what might be causing this issue. I have jack capture up and running but not everything connects to it and it i try to manually make connections to it i get a "reconnecting ports" message in the terminal. The only things that I do see connecting automatically are the click out and audition ports from Ardour. Nothing else is connecting up and i get the "reconnecting ports" message when i do try to make connections.

I am running it in AV Linux. Also, the terminal does give a read out when it is started -

Warning. Could not set higher priority for a SCHED_FIFO process using setpriority().

This doesn't prevent the programme from starting but i'm sure it has something to do with my issue. Any ideas?
Pablo
Established Member

Re: Unable to make connections to jack capture

Post by Pablo »

By default, jack_capture connects automatically to its input ports those ports that are connected to the system: playblack ports. This way it records what you hear through the speakers.

If you want to make manual connections to jack_capture input ports you must add the option "-mc"

Code: Select all

jack_capture -mc
Learned from:

Code: Select all

jack_capture --advanced-options
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Walnutcracker wrote:Warning. Could not set higher priority for a SCHED_FIFO process using setpriority().

This doesn't prevent the programme from starting but i'm sure it has something to do with my issue. Any ideas?
This probably means your user doesn't have permissions to change JACK's prio. That's weird because you're using AV Linux so that should be taken care of. You could run dpkg-reconfigure jackd2 as root and select Yes when asked if JACK can use realtime priorities.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

AutoStatic wrote:
Walnutcracker wrote:Warning. Could not set higher priority for a SCHED_FIFO process using setpriority().

This probably means your user doesn't have permissions to change JACK's prio. That's weird because you're using AV Linux so that should be taken care of. You could run dpkg-reconfigure jackd2 as root and select Yes when asked if JACK can use realtime priorities.
The message is a bit miss-leading, setpriority() is about the "nice" level, and have nothing to do with rtprio.
http://linux.die.net/man/2/setpriority
On the road again.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Ah yeah, true, thanks for setting that straight.
kmatheussen
Established Member

Post by kmatheussen »

tramp wrote:
AutoStatic wrote:

The message is a bit miss-leading, setpriority() is about the "nice" level, and have nothing to do with rtprio.
http://linux.die.net/man/2/setpriority
Definitely misleading. It's not trying to set a SCHED_FIFO process, but rather a SCHED_OTHER process.
It's a typo in the program. Will fix. Thanks for pointing out.

The warning can (probably) be removed by adding a line that says

* - nice -20

into /etc/security/limits.conf