What distros are you using?

What other apps and distros do you use to round out your studio?

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

raboof
Established Member

Re: What distros are you using?

Post by raboof »

aardbewoner wrote:you say you use studio 1337. but Sys req on there side say doze xp +
What are you talking about?
Havoc
Established Member

Post by Havoc »

What are you talking about?
If you go to their homepage it says at the right side: "System requirements: A Windows-compatible pc (XP, Vista, 7, 8)..."

Bit of a misleading requirement because when you read the rest of the side this comes as a booting usb-stick that includes the OS. Which I suppose is some form of linux if you look at the applications included.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Havoc wrote:If you go to their homepage it says at the right side: "System requirements: A Windows-compatible pc (XP, Vista, 7, 8)..."

Bit of a misleading requirement because when you read the rest of the side this comes as a booting usb-stick that includes the OS. Which I suppose is some form of linux if you look at the applications included.
Oh, that. I read that as: "this will run on any PC that will also run Windows XP". Notice it says 'A Windows-compatible pc', not 'A PC running Windows'. Didn't seem confusing/misleading to me, but I see where you're coming from.

Indeed AFAIK it is a linux distribution booted directly from the USB stick.
Shadow_7
Established Member

Post by Shadow_7 »

Debian Jessie/Sid - x86_64

As always there were sound / music packages available in Sid, but not the other flavours of debian. Not that I ever got around to installing those or using them. But I always seem to return here since 2002-ish when I got away from SuSE / Mandrake because they wouldn't install on my laptop from bought media. But that was linux from 10+ years ago, it's almost a completely new beast now. And yet strangely the same.

Most of my recording gear is standalone gear and most of my instruments accoustic. Needless to say most of my computers are > 5yo as I don't generally need realtime abilities. In terms of editing, I write a script and run it nice -n 19 and carry on with whatever I was doing in the first place.
totalchaos
Established Member

Post by totalchaos »

The beauty of the GNU/Linux world is that the user can achieve his own vision of a perfect desktop, which satisfies his personal needs, habits and available resources.

The history of "making music under GNU/Linux" itself is over 15 years old, and the tools available at present far outspend the creative imagination.

But if person needs out-of-the-box GNU/Linux multimedia distribution, so he can be creative in making music, instead of becoming a "multimedia-software administrator", my opinion is that today's best undoubtedly are 'AVLinux' and 'KXStudio'.

PS: And although they are available at no cost, both projects deserve to be supported with donations as a sign of appreciation, so that we can enjoy their development in the future.
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

Good posts peeps.
I just saw that Ardour 3 has been released with Midi capabilities. Sure they have a donation button, and I'll probably swoop for this once I've finally wiped the drive clear in readiness. I have a preference for Rosegarden. I know it isn't everybodies favourite, however is has one thing others don't, a music/note sheet that can be printed. The only thing it doesn't have, (and I may be wrong here, I'm new to it). Is a place to write the lyrics into the notation.
I'm still pretty happy with Tango Studio, low latency from disc, with 1 xrun, but that was without my M-Audio (Avid Audio) fast track external hooked up. I saw a good measurement of about 3.5 as regards latency with that onboard which is more than suitable.

The niggle with mouse freezes doesn't seem to appear on Tango Studio, as suggested before, this might be down to the fact a different kernel is installed on that version for AMD 64.
It's very noisy around here, so I'll probably have to create a portabooth for the mic. Has anyone done this, and what were your results please?

So far then Tango seems to be my choice. Great replies and info, many thanks.
Chippy
Shadow_7
Established Member

Post by Shadow_7 »

It depends on your needs in terms of a portabooth. I got the sE Electronics reflexion filter. It's not really that great if you need to filter out more than the fan of the desktop or the echo off the walls. But it does make things better per say. Last time we had carpet put down I saved the scraps and made a little carpet cave of sorts on top of a desk and between two bookshelves. But I went away for a few days and the +1 thought they were doing me a favor by getting rid of them.

When I was in the Army Band we had little booths inside the building. Hardly portable, but did a fair job of shielding from outside noise and inside reflections. Not that you could really use them much since you had to open the door to keep it from being 98.6F inside. Plus it was always humid in there because of the human influence.

If you keep an eye on craigslist you might be able to score a few office partitions. Not that you'll get full isolation from a noisy location with that. Depending on what you're recording you might get away with doing some recording in your car. Or if your recording gear is portable, a few music stores and such have treated rooms you can rent. Although there's fewer and fewer of those these days.
Zirbert
Established Member

Post by Zirbert »

I used Ubuntu Studio as my primary OS for a long time, but a couple of months back *all* audio suddenly stopped working. Not a hardware issue, because audio in other OSes worked fine on the same PC (set up for dual-booting XP, and I tried some live distros). When a few hours of Googling and tweaking settings didn't help, I decided it was time to look around a bit more.

I run AV Linux 5 on my seldom-used laptop, and I'm pretty happy with it. It has a couple of superficial quirks that I could probably rectify if I was that concerned (I don't care for the default file manager, etc.), but it's fine for occasional / mobile use. I don't know if I'd want to use it every day for general-purpose computing, but I'd recommend it for musical work.

Since I liked AV Linux 5, I tried AV Linux 6 on my main PC when Ubuntu Studio blew up on me, but it didn't last long. I couldn't get Flash audio working from within the web browser, so no YouTube, etc. I also couldn't save files to the desktop without some configuration hacking that I wasn't motivated to do in light of the first issue.

Then I tried Dream Studio (http://www.dickmacinnis.com/dreamstudio/), based on Ubuntu. I only had to remove the Unity desktop environment to make it useable, and it's by far my favourite distro yet. Besides the ones noted above, I've at least briefly tried pretty much every multimedia-focused distro over the last couple of years. I've had my share of newbie struggles with JACK and Pulseaudio, but this distro makes it incredibly easy by putting a JACK indicator applet on the panel, with options to start or stop JACK and/or Pulse and a "JACK settings" option that opens qJACKctl. Dream Studio has become my top pick.
Pablo
Established Member

Post by Pablo »

Then I tried Dream Studio (http://www.dickmacinnis.com/dreamstudio/), based on Ubuntu. I only had to remove the Unity desktop environment to make it useable, and it's by far my favourite distro yet. Besides the ones noted above, I've at least briefly tried pretty much every multimedia-focused distro over the last couple of years. I've had my share of newbie struggles with JACK and Pulseaudio, but this distro makes it incredibly easy by putting a JACK indicator applet on the panel, with options to start or stop JACK and/or Pulse and a "JACK settings" option that opens qJACKctl. Dream Studio has become my top pick.
What desktop environment did you choose?
Zirbert
Established Member

Post by Zirbert »

Pablo wrote:
Then I tried Dream Studio (http://www.dickmacinnis.com/dreamstudio/), based on Ubuntu. I only had to remove the Unity desktop environment to make it useable,
What desktop environment did you choose?
Truth be told, I wasn't sure! :-)

I just checked - Gnome Classic. Very comfortable and familiar if you're used to a Windows 9x / XP layout, as most of us probably are.
Frank Carvalho
Established Member

Post by Frank Carvalho »

Currently my main machine Ubuntu Studio 12.04, with the KXStudio repos added and the 3.2.0-39-lowlatency kernel. My machine is an incremental upgrade from the original Ubuntu Studio 7.04. Right now I am considering if I should move on to 12.10 or even 13.04. As my machine is stable, I don't want to rock the boat too much.
I have laptops with other distros installed - typically Xubuntu+rt/lowlatency-kernel+KXStudio repos, and even a small EEE PC 704 with Netbook Remix.

/Frank
Vox, Selmer, Yamaha and Leslie amplifiers. Rickenbacker, Epiphone, Ibanez, Washburn, Segovia, Yamaha and Fender guitars. Hammond, Moog, Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Crumar, Ensoniq and Mellotron keyboards. Xubuntu+KXStudio recording setup.
Jon
Established Member

Post by Jon »

I based mine off of Slackware 14.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m85/ ... 4cd72a.png

Rosegarden
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m85/ ... 79d8fa.png

Hydrogen
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m85/ ... d0a4e2.png

Ardour
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m85/ ... 5b409f.png

Mixxx
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m85/ ... 11756f.png

Synths
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m85/ ... 9de9cb.png

Comes in under 10gig. Most audio apps compiled from latest git or cvs.
The good thing about compiling it is that most everything is there to compile most any audio app.
Shadow_7
Established Member

Post by Shadow_7 »

I just thought that I'd chime in again. The ati-legacy driver seems to be stuck at version 13.1 which is 3.4.x kernels or older. The non-legacy ati driver at version 13.4+ for months now. I recently found out that native linux "3D" support is pretty good for at least my ati hd4550 card on my desktop. Un-doing the proprietary bits was a pain. And figuring out an alternative to amdcccle. xcalib seems to do the job (CLI anyway). Although mostly for hulu content that seems to codec to such a dark color balance.

$ xcalib -d :0 -s 0 -brightness 9 -contrast 100 -alter
$ xcalib -d :0 -s 0 -clear

It's just kind of neat having native linux 3D acceleration on such an old box. First time since forever for me. Not having to re-install a propritery driver with every major update should be kind of nice from this point forward. Especially when such drivers are not available, aka ati-legacy. As a side effect there's far fewer issues with jackd for most things. Even though I've yet to run a custom kernel in recent history, or even a realtime one for that matter.

Still on debian sid. But thinking of going back to stable. 1GB or more of updates per month is just too windows-ish for me. Plus my hardware is old so I don't always need cutting edge.
warkus
Established Member

Post by warkus »

Korora 19
It's based on Fedora and of Australian origin like me :D

I always used ubuntu variants because it made installing graphics drivers and codecs easy. Korora does all that Ubuntu does but is based on Fedora. I am so happy to have gotten away from canonical.

Korora 19, Not a single x-run yet :D
psychicstate
Established Member

Post by psychicstate »

I started dabbling in linux on slackware, moved to Studio64, then triple booted UbuntuStudio / Studio64 / Fedora +CCRMA, still never had a perfect working system to be productive enough and gave up and bought windows and went to Ableton. :oops: I was dual booting Mint / Windows for a while and one day decided to try Ableton in wine and to my surprise it ran great. I decided a few months ago to trash my Windows install for a full Linux Mint+KXStudio system (i have yet to set up windows as a virtual machine for certain things like hardware firmware upgrades...soon.)

$ cat /etc/*release
DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=14
DISTRIB_CODENAME=nadia
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 14 Nadia"
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="12.10, Quantal Quetzal"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu quantal (12.10)"
VERSION_ID="12.10"

$ uname -a
Linux 3.5.0-34-lowlatency #36-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Sat Jun 8 16:07:07 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

So I have Ableton running in wine with wineasio and full vst support (massive, fm8, razor) and midi support (APC20, Akai LPK25, Quneo, Korg NanoKontrol). There are xruns (however not all audibly noticable) and its maybe not perfect for live performance, but definately stable enough for daily use. I run daily updates and have had zero issues. You can also route audio/midi from different sources in and out of Ableton very easily with catia / claudia. It is the perfect setup. 8)