Ubuntu-audio-tweaks in python

Programming applications for making music on Linux.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Sandsound
Established Member

Ubuntu-audio-tweaks in python

Post by Sandsound »

Hi all

I have been trying to learn a little about Python/Glade and in the process hoping to make some neat apps to make life a little easy for the new Linuxmusician.
I use Ubuntu myself, so these apps will primarily focus that distro, but I hope to make them more universal along the way as I learn more about the language .

Ideas and suggestions are more than welcome

This is how it looks so far :
thorgal
Established Member

Re: Ubuntu-audio-tweaks in python

Post by thorgal »

nice effort :)
but what do you mean by "Remove PulseAudio" ? do you mean "disable" or "remove the PA installation from my PC" ? what if you just want to disable but not remove ?

about wineasio, do you mean to install the packaged version or the most recent but source version only ?

In general, do you plan on interacting with the apt world through this GUI ?
Sandsound
Established Member

Post by Sandsound »

thorgal wrote:nice effort :)
but what do you mean by "Remove PulseAudio" ? do you mean "disable" or "remove the PA installation from my PC" ? what if you just want to disable but not remove ?

about wineasio, do you mean to install the packaged version or the most recent but source version only ?

In general, do you plan on interacting with the apt world through this GUI ?

It removes Pulseaudio completely and install ALSA as default, maybe I should make a "Re-install Pulseaudio" button also ?

The wineasio is a precompiled 0.7.4 version it downloads from my site, the asio header from Steinberg makes it almost impossible to distribute a complete source. I will try to keep the version updated myself and also add a 64bit version later.

I use apt to install some dependencies, but other than that, i just use wget to install things from my site that isnt in any repositories.

btw. I have a early beta version here : http://www.sandgreen.dk/xt2/files/ubunt ... aks.tar.gz
kaimerra
Established Member

Post by kaimerra »

I like where this is going, but it might be a good idea to merge it with "Ubuntu Studio Controls" because they have similar goals. I think this will help a lot of non-geeky musicians warm up to Linux Audio in Ubuntu.
Sandsound
Established Member

Post by Sandsound »

kaimerra wrote:I like where this is going, but it might be a good idea to merge it with "Ubuntu Studio Controls" because they have similar goals. I think this will help a lot of non-geeky musicians warm up to Linux Audio in Ubuntu.
Sounds like a great idea, but... this being my second Python program, I'm not sure how to approach this, after all... I wrote my first "hello world" program for just about a week ago :-)

I actually thought about using some of the code from "Ubuntu Studio Controls" and it would be simple to merge the two programs.

btw. I have just added a "download, compile and install" button for libaam.so for those who use EnergyXT2.
simta
Established Member

Post by simta »

this is a great idea! good work, look forward to seeing how this develops.

for the pulseAudio thing you could have a button that disabled pulseAudio just for that session, so it would just execute the "killall -- pulseaudio" command (not sure if that syntax is correct).

:)

i'm especially impressed that you did this one week after doing your first "hello world" program.
HP laptop 1.6GHz dual core 2gig ram
Ubuntu 8.10 + Fedora 10
Tascam US-428
Sandsound
Established Member

Post by Sandsound »

simta wrote:this is a great idea! good work, look forward to seeing how this develops.

for the pulseAudio thing you could have a button that disabled pulseAudio just for that session, so it would just execute the "killall -- pulseaudio" command (not sure if that syntax is correct).

I have made some changes and included your idea, this is what you get when you click the "Remove Pulseaudio" button :
simta
Established Member

Post by simta »

good work :D
HP laptop 1.6GHz dual core 2gig ram
Ubuntu 8.10 + Fedora 10
Tascam US-428
Sandsound
Established Member

Post by Sandsound »

Hi all

I have made a new version (0.0.4) if anyone is interested.
http://www.sandgreen.dk/index.php?side=prog_python
Should be relatively bug-free :)

I have made some real progress on the limits.conf editor.
kaimerra
Established Member

Post by kaimerra »

I am going to try out your program and will let you know how it goes. What was removed in version 0.0.5? Are you still developing the CSS editor?
Sandsound
Established Member

Post by Sandsound »

kaimerra wrote:I am going to try out your program and will let you know how it goes. What was removed in version 0.0.5? Are you still developing the CSS editor?

Both programs are still under development, I haven't removed anything in 0.0.5 but when I started the project I tested a lot of modules and forgot to delete the reference to the unused modules :oops:

btw. I'll have a new version of the CSS editor ready sometime tomorrow, is there anything particular you would like to see in it ?