difference between standalone and other plugins

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

didgewind
Established Member

difference between standalone and other plugins

Post by didgewind »

hi there, i'm sure this is a pretty simple question: what is the difference between a standalone plugin and its lv2 or ladspa version? For example, i just instaled TAL plugins in ubuntu, I installed both versions but I don't know how to use to the standalone version :).

love
StudioDave
Established Member

Re: difference between standalone and other plugins

Post by StudioDave »

Greetings,

Standalone means that the program can run without benefit of a host. The LV2 version requires a plugin host, typically a DAW or other software designed to load and run plugins. However, in either case you'll likely want to be sure JACK is running. You can then use a utility such as QJackCtl or KXStudio's Carla to make your audio and MIDI connections.

HTH,

dp
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

didgewind wrote:hi there, i'm sure this is a pretty simple question: what is the difference between a standalone plugin and its lv2 or ladspa version? For example, i just instaled TAL plugins in ubuntu, I installed both versions but I don't know how to use to the standalone version :).

love
Hi,

Do you mean there are no launchers for the standalones that appear in your menu? If so you should have JACK running and then at first you will need to launch your standalone from the terminal by it's name and then you will need to create a custom launcher if you want it to be available in your menu, how you end up doing this will depend on what Desktop Environment you use.
didgewind
Established Member

Post by didgewind »

tx for your answers. My question came from installing TAL plugins from the repositories for ubuntu (kxstudio repositories), both versions (standalone and lv2) and then not finding the binaries. But after a search i found them with TAL- prefix (i was stuck in tal - lowercase search).

thanks again!!!