jackrack without midi?

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Havoc
Established Member

jackrack without midi?

Post by Havoc »

I just put jackrack back on the pc and it doesn't want to start because my alsa midi isn't set up correctly. It is correct in that as I don't have any midi at all in this pc and compiled it out this time. Anyone any idea how I tell it to leave midi alone?
thorgal
Established Member

Re: jackrack without midi?

Post by thorgal »

you may not have MIDI hardware, but you can still have MIDI software (the ALSA seq stuff). It would be wise to keep your MIDI software layer. You can e.g. always use rosegarden as a MIDI sequencer that will play some software instruments triggered by MIDI events from rosegarden.
Havoc
Established Member

Post by Havoc »

Well, I never use any midi at all. Never used a sequencer or sampler in my life. I normally use jackrack to plug in a few effects and play with them during playback as this is faster than trying out effects in an editor.

Any alternatives to jackrack?
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

so you just need a LADSPA host ...

you could use ardour : declare one bus only or use the master bus directly. No need of a track, unless you want to record what you play. I would use non master busses so as to use sends. Ardour can certainly be used in that way, by stacking up effects in a bus. Since the routing is ultra-versatile and flexible, you may in fact find it better than jack-rack.
brummer

Post by brummer »

when you build jack-rack from source you can disable midi suport at configure time with
"configure --disable-aseq"
Havoc
Established Member

Post by Havoc »

Going to try that Brummer, thanks.
brummer

Post by brummer »

to get it compile without midi suport, you need to edit the file /jack-rack/src/plugin_slot_callbacks.c
add line 111 and line 119

Code: Select all

#ifdef HAVE_ALSA  /* add this line*/
	      g_object_set_data (G_OBJECT (ui->midi_menu_item), 
			       "jack-rack-ctrl-type",
			       GINT_TO_POINTER(2/*PLUGIN_ENABLE_CONTROL*/)); 
	      g_object_set_data (G_OBJECT (ui->midi_menu_item), 
			       "jack-rack-plugin-slot",
			       plugin_slot);
	      gtk_menu_popup (GTK_MENU (ui->midi_menu), NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, event->button, event->time);
	    #endif /*and this line*/

this fix can stay also when you would change it to use midi suport.

regards brummer
brummer

Post by brummer »

I developed some LADSPA plugins, and it drives me crazy that I cant set the right startup values in jack-rack. All other hosts have no prob with that. I see that this is a bug,jack-rack have this prob with all plugins. After a while of debuging I found out, thats because jack-rack try to set the values also to the audio in/output ports instad to the controlls. Fix this is simple:

EDIT:// ups: it's allready fixed some time ago in cvs I see in a fresh check out.

regards brummer
Last edited by brummer on Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

what LADSPA plugins did you develop? If it's like guitarix, please share them..
brummer

Post by brummer »

:lol: yeha

off corse funkmuscle, it's guitarix. :D
I break out all effects and make single mono ladspa plugins from that. Distortion, compressor, monoamp, echo, IR, craybaby(wah) and freeverb. This way they could be more usefull for example with ardour, jost or jack-rack :lol: .
I waiting now to receive a UnicID for realease them.
And sorry, no, there isn't a plugin for jconv, maybe it's posible with LV2, but not with ladspa.
One more plug I work on, is a multiband distortion, 5 Band Filter with overdrive,distortion and a wavesharper with autogain correction.
Will comming soon.

regards brummer
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

can't wait for them... that is great news....Do you know how to work with LV2?
Jconv works great for me with guitarix because I use it for guitar IR files. For reverb, I think we need something with slide controls for the gain, in, out, offset, etc....
What do you think?

hey, also look at this project to replace jack-rack maybe:
http://code.google.com/p/ayemux/

and other linux related stuff... if this has been post already, sorry.:
http://www.ohloh.net/tags/ladspa
brummer

Post by brummer »

ayemux looks good, unfortunatly it depend's on E17 - Enlightenment witch I have remove last year, so it wouldn't compile on my maschine. But it show a deep Idea behind the ladspa API. Let's the host create the GUI. Do you use E17, are you able to compile it ?

I have worked a little more on jack-rack, so my jack-rack have also knobs, nice colours, and a other arangement for the controlls. I have contact lesslie, but he is'nt any more the maintainer of jack-rack, it's Adam Simpson now. I will contact him to start a little refresh for jack-rack.

brummer
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Adam Simpson, I emailed him a year or two ago.... He wanted to add vst support to jack-rack...
If he still whats to do that, he should use vestige from the LMMS guys which dssi-vst and fst are using now.

So you got knogs on jack-rack...nice!!! LV2, are you familiar with it? Can you do something with Jconv and LV2 for reverb or will you wait for Aella?
brummer

Post by brummer »

So I get my UnicID's, will release the plugin's next week.

No, at the moment I dont will work with LV2, I will first fully understand the LADSPA API, (Host and plugin site) after that I will try to understand LV2.