Record amSynth

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sunnybubblegum
Established Member

Record amSynth

Post by sunnybubblegum »

This might seem really noobish, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere.

I was wondering how to record the notes I am playing in amSynth. It doesn't have a built-in recorder. What is the best way to do this? (going through JACK and QjackCtl?)

Thanks!
sunnybubblegum
Established Member

Re: Record amSynth

Post by sunnybubblegum »

So if in the Terminal I go:

Code: Select all

/home/nicholas/Documents/MusicByMe/jack_capture
while JACK is running, it will put a .wav of whatever I play over the speakers in that directory?

Also, how do I stop recording?

Another thing related, but is it possible to layer notes this way? For example, say I want to record one run-through of the song, and then I want to play it back and record a harmony on top of it. Is this possible using this method?

Thanks for your quick response!
sunnybubblegum
Established Member

Post by sunnybubblegum »

Thanks for your help!

I also learned that you can record with Audacity. You just select JACK from the driver dropdown instead of ALSA, and you can select amSynth two dropdowns to the right instead of Pulseaudio or whatever input device was previously selected.
Zirbert
Established Member

Post by Zirbert »

You could also use Jack Timemachine. Nice and simple - the only things I had to dig to find out were where the output file goes (your home folder, by default) and the unusual default file format (just rename it to .wav if it bothers you).
sunnybubblegum
Established Member

Post by sunnybubblegum »

Thanks for the recommendation, Zirbert. Just curious, does JACK Timemachine record whatever is on the speakers, or does it take input from another program (i.e. a synth or a drum sequencer)? And, does it let you create layers, or is it more for capturing a sketch of a song?
Zirbert
Established Member

Post by Zirbert »

sunnybubblegum wrote:Thanks for the recommendation, Zirbert. Just curious, does JACK Timemachine record whatever is on the speakers, or does it take input from another program (i.e. a synth or a drum sequencer)? And, does it let you create layers, or is it more for capturing a sketch of a song?
It's closer to recording whatever comes from the speakers, but it's up to you. It appears on the Connect tab in qJackctl as a writeable client / input port, just like your speakers, and it records whatever you connect to it. So if you connect Amsynth and Hydrogen to it, it'll record them together. If you only connect Amsynth to it, it'll only record Amsynth. This can be useful if you want to play along to a click / drum track, but don't want to record its sound.

No layering, although you could always import the WAV file it makes into your DAW of choice to add overdubs to it. It's more appropriate, I think, for sketches. I use it when I happen to stumble over a riff or sound I like and want to "jot it down".

I start it with the command: /usr/bin/timemachine -f wav (I edited its menu item to start using this command). The "-f wav" makes it default to creating a WAV file when finished, not a W64. The W64 can be renamed to WAV - no conversion required - but this saves a step.
sunnybubblegum
Established Member

Post by sunnybubblegum »

Thanks for your helpful reply!
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

You might want to take a look at Non-Daw. Despite the name, which on git and the KxStudio testing repo's is now Non-Timeline, it's not a DAW but an audio recorder/editor. It's fairly simple to use. Here's the manual http://non.tuxfamily.org/timeline/doc/MANUAL.html Last I checked Non-Timeline in the testing repo's was working quite well or you can get Non-Daw from KxStudio Main which also works but isn't quite as polished.
War, crime, disease, starvation, extreme poverty; these are serious things.
Music? Not so serious. Have some fun! :D
Zirbert
Established Member

Post by Zirbert »

sunnybubblegum wrote:Thanks for your helpful reply!
You're welcome! I'm usually the guy asking the questions, not answering them, so it's nice to be able to contribute once in a while!
male
Established Member

Post by male »

AnthonyCFox wrote:You might want to take a look at Non-Daw. Despite the name, which on git and the KxStudio testing repo's is now Non-Timeline, it's not a DAW but an audio recorder/editor. It's fairly simple to use. Here's the manual http://non.tuxfamily.org/timeline/doc/MANUAL.html Last I checked Non-Timeline in the testing repo's was working quite well or you can get Non-Daw from KxStudio Main which also works but isn't quite as polished.
To be precise, Non-Timeline is not a DAW--but it is a component of a DAW, just like bacon is part of a healthy breakfast. Hence the name change. Non is split into separate components because sometimes you may want to put some bacon on a burger, but you don't want any eggs. With a monolithic DAW, you don't have the same ability to pick and choose what you use. Can you tell that I haven't eaten yet today?
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

male wrote:Can you tell that I haven't eaten yet today?
:lol:
War, crime, disease, starvation, extreme poverty; these are serious things.
Music? Not so serious. Have some fun! :D
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

Personally, I do all my recording using Audacity. Quick, straight-forward, easy... :)

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com