Nvidia on linux 3.8

Unofficial support for the KXStudio Linux distribution and applications.
More info at http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Alwaysanewb
Established Member

Re: Nvidia on linux 3.8

Post by Alwaysanewb »

Never mind it was running great woke up this morning and still seemed to be running well had to restart my computer and it past the kxstudio logo screen to a screen with a little line and wouldnt get past that. Messed with it all morning. Then tryed a reinstall.I installed ubinti 12.04.2 64bt instead of 12.04 i might of messed that up somehow too. Not running very well ardour 3 wont open up wont create a session or something like that.

I might reinstall again start from the beginning and see what happens.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I re-installed KXStudio on my friends machine earlier, which has an embedded AMD/Radeon mobo GPU. 'Additional Drivers' successfully detected and installed fglrx on this machine with the older, 12.04.1 kernel (was in 3.2 or 3.4, I forget?) but it finds no non-free drivers for 3.8.

I know there are other ways to install fglrx (which I've not attempted yet) but I thought I'd best report this here. I'll get the the model of the GPU if required.

Anyone else tried 'Additional drivers' with Radeon under the new KX 3.8 kernel?
ToddMWorth
Established Member

Post by ToddMWorth »

Fails here, on the xorg edgers driver I have always used :( :

Setting up linux-firmware (1.106~precise1~ppa1) ...
Setting up linux-lowlatency-headers-3.8.0-24 (3.8.0-24.16) ...
Setting up linux-headers-3.8.0-24-lowlatency (3.8.0-24.16) ...
Examining /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/header_postinst.d/dkms 3.8.0-24-lowlatency /boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-24-lowlatency
ERROR (dkms apport): kernel package linux-headers-3.8.0-24-lowlatency is not supported
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.8.0-24-lowlatency (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/nvidia-experimental-310/310.14/build/make.log for more information.

Updated to nvidia-319 ... All good :)

Slightly OT: Still see this weird error... Seems cosmetic.

Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
W: Waited for dpkg --assert-multi-arch but it wasn't there - dpkgGo (10: No child processes)
luster
Established Member

Post by luster »

Slightly OT: Still see this weird error... Seems cosmetic.

Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
W: Waited for dpkg --assert-multi-arch but it wasn't there - dpkgGo (10: No child processes)
I've been ignoring that error for months. I asked here at the linuxmusicians forum about it since I was concerned about it, but others mentioned they had been seeing it and ignoring it.

If anyone knows more about what this message means, I'd like to hear it.

EDIT: "others" turned out to be just you, ToddMWorth. http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic ... 47&t=10909