(Ardour) I'm sure this is a silly question

Support & discussion regarding DAWs and MIDI sequencers.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

dchurch24
Established Member

(Ardour) I'm sure this is a silly question

Post by dchurch24 »

Hi all,

I've just started to record using Ardour, which looks like a fantastic bit of software and when I have a spare couple of lifetimes, I think I will set about learning how everything works ;-)

...but in the meantime, I've been playing around with it making a few short recordings to try and learn enough to get me going.

I have found though that I can record one audio track fine, but have to change to the next input (2) in my breakout box to record a second, then move the jack to the next input (3) to record a third.

I only have 4 inputs. Is it not possible to record say, the guitar (in input 1) in audio track 1, and the same guitar (in input 1) to an audio track 2 while playing back audio track 1?

This is quite restrictive in as much as I will only have 4 tracks to play with if this is the case. I'm sure I must just be doing something wrong (I hope so!).

Thanks,

dchurch.
thorgal
Established Member

Re: (Ardour) I'm sure this is a silly question

Post by thorgal »

sure :)
like with every new tool, it's nice to experiment. The first thing I did when I set up my DAW was to declare something like 30 mono tracks, all connected to the same hardware input (in1 which is my EL-guitar). I wanted to test the HD data writing. I armed all the tracks for recording, and I played fora few minutes non stop. My DAW took it without whining / complaining the system was too slow, etc, which was a good thing :D

Of course, this is quite a stupid setup for production :) but what you ask is completely possible. The routing allowed by ardour (and the underlying jack) is just amazing.

So create as many tracks as you want, connect them to the system inputs you want (even the same), arm the one to be recorded. The others will be played back. If they already contain some audio, it will be heard. If no audio content, no sound. As simple as that.
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

So create as many tracks as you want, connect them to the system inputs you want (even the same), arm the one to be recorded.
Thanks (once again) Thorgal!

That's the bit I can't work out how to do, I set up four tracks and clicked the record button on the first, recorded what I wanted (only a few seconds really - I was just playing around with it to get used to it - great interface though ;-) ), then clicked the record button off of that track and clicked it on the next. It would only record if I pyhsically moved my jack input to the next one in the breakout box.

Are you saying that I could connect each track to input 1 in Jack (or in Ardour?) Is it really as simple as that?
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

it is that simple :)
click on the input button in the track header, pick in1. Do that for all of the tracks if what you want is 4 guitar tracks from the same input (but with different content, as you record sequentially each track one after the other).
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

That's exactly what I'm after!

Thanks, yet again! ;-)

I knew it would be easy (somehow) - I was messing about with the transports, again in an attempt to get familiar with the software.

I have to say though, well done to the Ardour dev. team - it's a really nice bit of kit, especially because/with Jack (which is also &£$%$ing brilliant - what a clever way of doing things), and the interface - to me at least - seems really quite intuitive.

God, why does work have to get in the way, I'm itching to get home now!
danni
Established Member

Post by danni »

The reason it works this way is because it is designed to record several inputs simultaneously... That is hook an instrument up to each input on your sound card, create four tracks in Ardour... have four people playing together and record the lot.

This can be a bit funny if you are doing a recording by yourself. the first thing you should know about is patchage - locate and install this program now. It is the easiest way to change what is routed to what. In this case I might also suggest the work around I use... Create a second track but don't arm it - drag the clip on track 1 down onto track 2. make sure that it lines up to the start of the track. Record your second part on track 1....
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

Danni, in order not to screw up the region timing when dragging it to another track, use the middle mouse button (MMB) for the dragging. Same thing if you want to copy the region : use Ctrl+MMB+dragging. If you have a scroll wheel instead, use it like a button.
danni
Established Member

Post by danni »

Thanks Thorgal > and OP do what the guy before me said - that sounds easier...
mauser
Established Member

Post by mauser »

@Thorgal:

Oh god i've been using ardour for something around 3 or 4 years now. And i don't knew about this feature.
It got really upset sometimes when moving regions along many tracks without having "snap to grid" on (thats another story..). Many thanks!!!!!!!
dchurch24
Established Member

Post by dchurch24 »

@danni - thanks for that tip - I like that way of working.
@thorgal - nice extra to the tip, thanks.
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

haha :lol:
guys, really, all you have to do is ask on the ardour IRC channel! that's how you get all the cool tips :D The dev's are roaming in there, shooting back at everything that sneaks in, from mega-noobs to ultra-advanced users. Really, just enter the place when you have something in mind :

http://www.mibbit.com/chat/?server=irc. ... =%23ardour

pick a nickname of your fancy (avoid 'thorgal' as I sometimes step in there as well, not so much lately) and connect whenever you feel like it :)
Of course, it may be that your question will be unanswered for a while, YFMV ...